Observing Report for 13 December 2023 - Perseus vs Cetus, the great battle

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 13 December 2023 - Perseus vs Cetus, the great battle

Post by kt4hx »

After last night’s session, I rested well, for a while anyway. I woke up earlier than I had intended, so by early afternoon I was starting to feel tired again, so I wound up taking a power nap to try and gird up for this evening’s session. It had been a bit since I’d done two in a row and I was looking forward to pushing myself some more in pursuit of my favorite objects – galaxies!

I spent the waking hours of the day just resting up predominantly. Though I did get some exercise by getting out the vacuum cleaner and going over the floors and sucking up some webs which always accrue due to the fact the house is unoccupied most of the time. I spoke with Mary over the phone a couple of times, thought a little bit about what I was going to do come dark, and put out my gear a little earlier this time. Again I headed out just a little after 1830 to allow my eyes to adjust. The air was cool as expected, the sky clear and I was ready to get back into the fray.

While I was planning to head back into Cetus once more to continue doing battle with the famed sea monster from Greek mythology, I decided to start out for a little bit in Perseus in honor of the great hero who subdued Cetus to save the fair princess, Andromeda. Both constellations still possess a great number of galaxies that I have not yet seen, and I wanted to grab as many as I could before my energy waned. Once it was fully dark I checked the brightness level in the sky with the SQM-L, and got an average reading of about 21.2 this time. With that bit of FYI, I swung the scope toward Beta Persei (Algol) to begin my night’s journey. I hope you will come along with me once more as I do battle with the great warrior Perseus and the mighty sea beast Cetus. :icon-smile:

(Equipment used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian manual mount
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)
Uranometria All-Sky Edition (+ red light)

NGC 1198 (Perseus, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.5, size=1.1’x0.6’, SBr=12,4):
Sighted in on Algol and the 13mm (152x) in the focuser, I used the 8x50 RACI finder to nudge NNW to my first object of the evening. This lenticular slid into view as a small and slightly bright oval disk. It appeared smoothly illuminated and diffuse to the eye. Viewed at 199x, I was now picking up an intermittent stellar core. This was a nice one to begin my evening. This object also has the alternate identifier of IC 282 due to a duplicate discovery making its way into the catalogue. (New)

NGC 1175 (Perseus, spiral galaxy, mag=12.9, size=1.9'x0.6', SBr=12.9):
I picked it up using 152x as a small but subtly bright oval disk that exhibited a broadly brighter core region. Viewed with 199x the core was now intermittently stellar in appearance. It was quite obvious within the field. (New)

NGC 1177 (Perseus, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.1, size=0.4’x0.4’, SBr=12.6):
Within the field of view with NGC 1175 and immediately to its northeast, I spotted this second galaxy with 152x. It was fairly small and dim. Round in shape it displayed an intermittent stellar core within. Viewed at 199x it was a little more apparent but still somewhat dim overall. This spiral also has an additional identification in the NGC/IC of IC 281. This was another case of Lewis Swift duplicating effort, as with NGC 1198. (New)

IC 284 (Perseus, spiral galaxy, mag=11.5, size=4.1’x2.1’, SBr=13.7):
Next up was this spiral, about 17’ east of the previous pair. Easily picked up with 152x, it revealed a somewhat large oval envelope, that was subtly bright and having a lower surface brightness. It had a very diffuse appearance. Using 199x it was very obvious to the eye, and remained a smoothly illuminated oval disk. (New)

IC 288 (Perseus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.9, size=1.1’x0.3’, SBr=12.5):
Another 15’ east of the last object I picked up another. However, this one was noticeably dimmer than the preceding galaxy. At 152x it presented a small and dim oval disk that was homogeneous to the eye. Then at 199x I was picking up hints of a fleeting stellar core, while overall the galaxy remained dim and a weak visual target. (New)

NGC 1186 (Perseus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.4, size=3.2’x1.2’, SBr=12.7):
The next galaxy is almost half a degree NNE of IC 284, and at 152x it presented a subtly large and very diffuse oval. For its listed magnitude and surface brightness it seemed a little dimmer than expected, though not difficult in the least. A bright 13th mag field star is involved southeast of the core, and at 199x in particular this star was bothersome. But overall this object was very obvious though seemingly of lower surface brightness than is indicated by the data.

This object also carries the second identification of NGC 1174 due to a duplicate discovery by none other than Lewis Swift (1883). Interestingly, there were some difficulties in verifying William Herschel’s original observation (1786). William Parsons and assistants failed to find this object as did Heinrich d’Arrest. Guillaume Bigourdan opined that perhaps it was a variable nebula since some were having difficulty finding the object. (New)

NGC 1164 (Perseus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.3’x1.0’, SBr=13.3):
A little over 40’ southwest of the last object I found this barred spiral. Easily located using 152x it appeared as a small, thick disk that was slightly faint. A stellar core was seen at its center, as well as a 13th mag field star off its northwestern tip. Viewing with 199x it was an obvious little oval disk in the field. (New)

NGC 1159 (Perseus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.4, size=0.5’x0.4’, SBr=11.5):
Nudging 37’ to the northwest I located my next target. Using 152x revealed a very small and dim rounded disk that was evenly illuminated. A little more apparent at 199x, it remained dim and small, with no other details visible. The mag 7.7 star HD 18528 lay less than 7’ to the southwest. (New)

UGC 2470 (Perseus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.7, size=1.3’x0.5’, SBr=12.5):
My next object was this spiral, about 9’ SSE of NGC 1159, and 11’ southeast of HD 18528. Located with 152x it presented a dim and small oval disk that was very diffuse and even. Viewed at 199x it was more apparent though it remained weak. I caught flashes of a possible stellar core from time to time as seeing shifted. (New)

NGC 1171 (Perseus, spiral galaxy, mag=12.3, size=2.6’x1.1’, SBr=13.4):
Almost 38’ to the northeast of NGC 1171 I easily spotted this spiral using 152x.It presented as a slightly small oval disk that was subtly bright. Its appearance was homogeneous and smooth. At 199x it was an obvious entity in the field of view, but seemed of lower surface brightness. (New)

NGC 1138 (Perseus, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.1’x0.9’, SBr=12.6):
This barred lenticular was swept up about 39.5’ west of the aforementioned star HD 18528. At 152x it appeared as a small out of round disk that was subtly bright. It was diffuse in appearance, and formed a triangle with a pair of field stars (12th and 13th mag). Taking a look at 199x, I was picking up an intermittent stellar core in the center of the galaxy’s quite obvious envelope. (New)

NGC 1122 (Perseus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.1, size=1.7'x1.3’, SBr=12.9):
Next target was this galaxy, just over 1° southwest of the previous one. The mag 6.8 star HD 17756 was obvious about 12’ to its southwest. The galaxy at 152x was somewhat bright, a small rounded or thick oval disk that was homogeneous in appearance. Looking at 199x it was a very obvious entity in the field of view, but remained a smoothly even disk. (New)

NGC 1106 (Perseus, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.3, size=1.8’x1.7’, SBr=13.4):
My final galaxy in Perseus this evening before heading into Cetus was this lenticular. It was spotted about 28’ southwest of HD 17756 (from previous object) as a small and somewhat bright rounded disk. A dim field star lay at the western edge of its envelope giving it the appearance of very slight elongation. Using 199x it was a very apparent object and remained smooth and diffuse across its envelope. As an aside, I noted the bright open cluster Messier 34 (NGC 1039) in the 8x50 RACI finder only about 2° to the northwest of this object. While I did not turn the scope on this pretty stellar grouping it was still a fine and obvious object in the finder. (New)

NGC 1218 (Cetus, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.7, size=1.3’x1.0’, SBr=12.9):
Shifting over to Cetus to round out the evening my first target (victim?) was this elliptical that was scooped up using 152x 1.5° east of mag 2.5 Alpha Ceti (Menkar). My initial impressions were of a small though somewhat bright thick oval disk. There were hints of a stellar core from time to time as seeing shifted. Looking at 199x this galaxy was very obvious in the field and the stellar core became steadier as well. (New)

IC 302 (Cetus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.9’x1.5’, SBr=13.7):
Nudging a little over 1° to the northeast I encountered my next little fuzzy. It was larger to the eye than the previous galaxy, but dimmer. Another thick oval envelope, this one was more evenly illuminated. At 199x it seemed a little ghostly and of lower surface brightness. However, it was still easily apparent to the eye. (New)

IC 1882 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=14.0, size=1.1’x0.4’, SBr=12.9):
Going back to Menkar, I looked about 1.5° to the southeast to locate a small scalene triangle of three field stars (one 8th mag and two 9th mag stars). I pinned down this spiral just south of this little triangle. Using 152x I found it a very ghostly small oval disk. It remained a little weak visually at 199x but not difficult, remaining a small homogeneous ghostly oval. (New)

NGC 1153 (Cetus, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.9, size=1.3’x1.2’, SBr=12.7):
I returned to Menkar, and then nudged just over a degree to the southwest where I located this lenticular. Using 152x it was a small and slightly bright round disk, its center showing a stellar core. It was very obvious in the field at 199x, and its stellar core was now prominent within the disk. (New)

UGC 2446 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.8, size=0.7’x0.4’, SBr=12.3):
In the same field of view with NGC 1153 and about 9’ to its northeast, I noticed this galaxy at 152x. It was dim and small oval that was slightly thin in appearance. Its envelope was smooth and even. With 199x it was easy, but remained a little to the dim side of things. (New)

NGC 1137 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=12.7, size=2.1’x1.3’, SBr=13.4):
Just over a degree to the southwest of the previous duo, I picked up this spiral. At 152x it was a small and slightly bright oval glow with a broadly brighter core region. Very obvious at 199x, its core brightness was strong. As the seeing shifted, I would pick up flickers of a stellar core set within its lens shaped core brightness. (New)

NGC 1101 (Cetus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.0, size=1.3’x1.0’, SBr=13.2:
Again using Menkar as a starting point I star hopped WNW for just over 3.5° to pick up this previously observed galaxy. I observed it from this same location with the same scope about 5 years ago. In this case it would be used as a marker to locate another nearby galaxy, which according to my notes I failed to pick up when I observed NGC 1101. In any case, this time around NGC 1101 was a small and subtly bright thick oval disk with an intermittent stellar core. I noticed a 12th mag field star just 2.5’ to the southeast. The galaxy was very obvious at 199x, with its stellar core popping in and out as seeing shifted.

NGC 1095 (Cetus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.3’x0.8’, SBr=13.2):
Now that I had settled on the old acquaintance NGC 1101, it was time to look for this object that I missed 5 years ago. This time around I had no difficulty in locating this barred spiral using 152x. It was quickly picked up just under 10’ northwest of NGC 1101, just 2’ southeast of a mag 10.7 field star (TYC 00050-1353 1). It appeared as a small and dim homogenous oval disk. Using 199x it remained dim but was easily seen as an evenly illuminated ovoid. How I missed this one 5 years ago, I truly don’t understand. (New)

NGC 1016 (Cetus, elliptical galaxy, mag=11.6, size=2.0’x2.0’, SBr=13.2):
Moving to mag 3.5 Gamma Ceti (Kaffaljidhma) as my next jumping off point, I now delved into a cluster of galaxies surrounding previously observed elliptical NGC 1016. I observed this galaxy about 7 years ago from our then Bortle 5 backyard using the 12 inch. This time with the 17.5 inch under darker country skies the brightest galaxy in this loose grouping was fairly bright and slightly small. Appearing as a rounded disk with a very strong stellar core buried within as viewed with 152x.

NGC 1004 (Cetus, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.4’x1.3’, SBr=13.2):
This second elliptical in the group was also observed 7 years ago at the same time as NGC 1016, but no other galaxies in the cluster were seen. This time at 152x, NGC 1004 appeared as a small and slightly dim rounded disk with a small concentrated non-stellar core brightness apparent. A dim 14th mag field star lay next to its western side.

IC 241 (Cetus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.4, size=1.1’x0.7’, SBr=13.0):
Now with the two primary galaxies of the group being re-observed, I now concentrated on the others surround them. About 14’ NNW of NGC 1016 I picked up this lenticular with 152x. It presented a small and dim oval disk that was homogeneous. With 199x it was a little more apparent, but its overall appearance remained the same. (New)

NGC 1009 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=14.4, size=1.4’x0.2’, SBr=13.1):
Just over 6’ to the ESE of the previous object I picked up this small and fairly dim thin oval glow using 152x. It was smooth and a little flat in appearance. At 199x it was a little more apparent but weak overall. (New)

NGC 1020 (Cetus, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.3, size=0.8’x0.2’, SBr=12.0):
NGC 1021 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=14.4, size=0.8’x0.6’, SBr=13.3):

This pair was picked up about 8.5’ southeast of NGC 1009. Seen with 152x they both presented very small and pretty dim dust bunny glows. NGC 1021 was more rounded than its field mate, but they were of similar brightness. At 199x they both remained weak, but a little more apparent. (New-2)

NGC 993 (Cetus, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.6, size=0.9’x0.8’, SBr=13.1):
Moving a little west of the main group I picked up this elliptical about 14.5’ WNW of NGC 1004. Situated just south of a 14th mag field star, it presented a small and dim diffuse rounded glow at 152x. Again, slightly more apparent at 199x, it remained a dim glow in the field. (New)

NGC 1019 (Cetus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.5, size=1.0’x0.9’, SBr=13.3):
Now moving to the southeast of NGC 1004 about 12’ I scooped up this barred spiral using 152x. Dim and small, its rounded envelope was homogeneous to the eye. More apparent at 199x, it remained a dim soft glow. (New)

NGC 1008 (Cetus, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.9, size=0.8’x0.6’, SBr=12.8):
Moving back to NGC 1016, I then studied the field immediately east of the brightest galaxy in the group. Using 152x I immediately picked up this fairly dim little elliptical that appeared as an evenly illuminated thick oval. More apparent at 199x, it was still a pretty dim bulb overall. (New)

NGC 1007 (Cetus, lenticular galaxy, mag=15.1, size=0.6’x0.2’, SBr=12.8):
About 4.5’ south of NGC 1008 and 6.5’ southwest of NGC 1016 I studied the field closely for a bit. Using 152x I believe I was catching an occasional subtle glimpse of a very small diffuse glow, but was uncertain. Going up to 199x I had weak confirmation of this object in the appropriate position, but some residual doubt remained. Therefore I went ahead to 283x, and finally got my concrete confirmation as a very dim and small diffuse oval glow. (New)

IC 1827 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.7, size=1.1’x0.2’, SBr=12.0):
In the 8x50 RACI finder I spotted a very wide pair of brighter field stars, mag 7.6 HD 16672 and mag 8.3 HD 16581 east and southeast of the galaxy group I just worked. About 1/3 of the way from the latter to the former I picked up a pair of galaxies. First was this spiral, which was scooped up using 152x as a small and dim thin oval disk that was homogenous to the eye. Then at 199x it was obvious as a thin slice of light, with a very dim 13th mag field star off its northwestern tip. (New)

NGC 1038 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.4, size=1.2’x0.4’, SBr=12.4):
Almost 6’ southeast of the previous object and in the same field of view I easily spotted this other spiral using 152x. It presented a small and subtly bright thin oval with a 12th mag star involved. Taking a look at 199x it was very obvious and exhibited some non-stellar core brightness. (New)

NGC 1043 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=15.0, size=0.8’x0.2’, SBr=12.9):
I studied the field southeast of the previous object for a bit until I finally located this dim fuzzy. It lay about 14’ southeast of NGC 1038, and at 152x I was catching an occasional bit of very small diffuse glow. I quickly went to 199x and got my confirmation of a very dim, homogenous little oval disk. (New)

NGC 1055 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=10.6, size=7.6’x2.7’, SBr=13.7):
From the previous field I nudged nearly a degree to pick up a bright wide pair of stars mag 7.6 HD 16835 and mag 6.7 HD 16786. Immediately south of this pair of stars I easily spotted this previously observe galaxy. I last observed it in Oct of 2016 at home with the 12 inch. Since it and Messier 77 lie close together and can be used as gateways to other new galaxies, I decided to stop by these old friends. This spiral at 152x presented a large and pretty bright thin oval disk that was very diffuse and smooth across its envelope. An 11th mag field star was just off its northern edge. This is a gorgeous galaxy that leads one directly to a true beauty, Messier 77.

Messier 77 / NGC 1068 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=8.9, size=7.1’x6.0’, SBr=12.8):
Just over half a degree SSE of NGC 1055 I was happy to stop by this galaxy that had been observed numerous times over the decades. As it slid into the field of view at 152x it was a stunningly beautiful object to behold. Very large and very bright its oval disk was heavily mottled. The stellar core was intensely bright, not surprising as it’s a Seyfert 2 active galaxy. Viewed with 152x and 199x I was picking up hints of a dark lane curving along its major axis, as well as very strong indications of subtle spiral arm structure. This is truly a spectacular object.

NGC 1072 (Cetus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.4, size=1.5’x0.5’, SBr=12.9):
About 21’ east of the line between NGC 1055 and M77 I easily located this object using 152x as all three were in the same field of view. It presented a small and dim oval disk that was homogeneous to the eye. More obvious at 199x, it remained evenly illuminated and easy. (New)

NGC 1090 (Cetus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.8, size=4.0’x1.7’, SBr=13.8):
From the previous object I slid nearly half a degree to the southeast to pick up a very wide north-south pair of field stars in the finder, mag 8.8 HD 17130 and mag 8.2 HD 17142. About 23.5’ east of the latter star I located this nice object. Using 152x it displayed a slightly large and somewhat bright oval disk that was homogeneous in appearance. Viewing with 199x it was very obvious in the field of view, remaining a smooth oval disk. (New)

NGC 1087 (Cetus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=10.9, size=3.7’x2.2’, SBr=13.1):
About 15’ south of NGC 1090 I easily picked up this previously viewed object in the same field of view. I last observed it in Oct of 2018 at home using the 12 inch. Since it was easily spotted in the same field as the previous object I decided to give it a closer look. With 152x it was a subtly large and somewhat bright smooth oval disk. As with its field mate, it was a very obvious and easy object to pick up.

NGC 1094 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=12.5, size=1.3’x1.0’, SBr=12.6):
Using both NGC 1090 and 1087, I triangulated the position of my final two objects using the 8x50 RACI finder. I frequently am able to place a targeted object in the field of view of the eyepiece in this manner, and this was the case this time as well. Just 14’ east of NGC 1087, at 152x it presented a small and slightly bright thick oval envelope with a broadly brighter core. Then at 199x I was picking up some traces of an intermittent stellar core as seeing steadied. The galaxy was very obvious in the field with the two brighter neighbors. (New)

MCG 0-8-14 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=15.0, size=0.5’x0.2’, SBr=12.6):
While I was observing NGC 1094, I was picking up hints of something immediately north of its envelope. Now I turned my attention to the suspected object, which was plotted in Uranometria. With 152x I was picking up a very subtle bit of fluff north of the main galaxy that was very small and very dim. Going to 199x it was a little more apparent, but still quite a weak object. I did go to 283x and while it remained very small and quite dim, it was clearly seen. (New)

Well that was indeed a nice run through some of Cetus’ possessions. But it was just after 2200 hours again, and I was feeling the pinch of fatigue as well as the chill of the air. It was about 29° F (-1.7 C) and I felt I had accomplished a very good evening and could retire for the night with high spirits. I wish to thank you for coming along with me on my journey over the last two nights. This will be my last for the year 2023, a bit of an off year that closed out on a high note!

A note of interest I would like to share with you all. I had forgotten all about the Geminid meteor shower. My mind where has it gone? :lol: Anyway, while I was observing this evening, I of course look up periodically to re-aim the scope or just a general look around to allow my observing eye to rest a bit. I had noticed a higher than typical number of meteors toward the ENE when I would look up at the sky. It finally dawned on me that yeah, it was the Geminids peak tonight! I went on about my observing, but when I was ready to quit, I was ready to quit and decided not to stay out any longer to watch for meteors.

Fast forward to around 0400 hours, I woke up got up to look out the window and got the itch! So I put on some layers, went out through the garage, grabbing my observing chair on the way and settled into the driveway next to my truck. I was facing west where Gemini now floated in the dark country sky, M35 was visible to the naked eye and M44 in Cancer was very prominent without optical aid as well. So from about 0430 to 0500 I sat there mostly looking at Gemini, with occasional head turns to check other areas. Well, the meteors were still flying. Over the half hour I saw about 25, mostly in and around Gemini of course. There were also a few others to the east that I could trace back to the radiant point. I saw a really bright one in Corvus that left a visible trail after it burned up. Then there was another way down in Antlia that I caught in my periphery that went out with a big flash as it gave its all to the upper atmosphere. So even though I only stuck with it for half an hour in a bit of a lazy man’s outing, I was quite pleased to share in the beauty of this shower, even if in a small way.

There is one more thing on a personal level I wish to mention if I may. I have had sort of a bench mark in my observing, a personal goal one could say. As I’ve stated many times over, I have been observing off and on since the early 1960’s, but for a long, long time I never kept track of what I observed, either in notes or a formal log. I deeply regret that gross oversight on my part. I have no history, no way to go back and reminisce, to see where I’ve been and how I’ve grown as an observer. Sure I can remember a great number of objects, but many and/or details get lost to the ravages of time and the mind. That was indeed a supreme mistake on my part.

Therefore around 2010 or so, I began to formally keep track of my sky journeys through notes and a log, basically starting over. But this night I finally achieved a benchmark that I had been working toward for a while now. I didn’t consider a goal in the beginning. Rather it began to take form over the past three or so years as I saw the number of objects I was starting to accrue in my log. So this night I finally crossed a line that I had set for myself – that of 5,000 DSOs observed.

I was hoping at the beginning of the year to reach that mark, but with all the things going on this year, I began to have doubts. So this particular trip to the dark site house was also driven by my desire to reach my personal goal this year, as a bit of celebration for an erratic and poor year in terms of observing. Attaining my goal turned a poor observing year into a fantastic one for me personally. Anyway, I just wanted to share that with you all, my friends in astronomy and on TSS – my second family. So I encourage all to keep track of your observing, but more importantly get out there and look up at the night sky. That truly is where the good stuff is found!
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 13 December 2023 - Perseus vs Cetus, the great battle

Post by Bigzmey »

What a great session Alan! Nice haul of galaxies, the meteor shower and impressive milestone of 5,000 DSOs observed. Way to finish the year with a bang!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Alan, that was a great read. You're so personable, and I'm glad you shared that about you getting your 5000th DSO :D And the part about the Geminids, good for you!

I too wish I'd made more notes back in the "early days"... age teaches us wisdom we wish we had back then!

All our best to you and Mary,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

always so pleasant to read and very informative, thx.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:56 pm What a great session Alan! Nice haul of galaxies, the meteor shower and impressive milestone of 5,000 DSOs observed. Way to finish the year with a bang!

Thank you Andrey. It was a really nice outing with which to wrap up an odd year. Reaching my goal was a happy ending for me as well. Not so surprising for me, nearly 3,600 of those are galaxies! I was even happy to see some pre-dawn meteors as well. That shower is impressive indeed, as Dave found out during his group's outing. Best wishes for the holidays for your and your family.

Thefatkitty wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:19 pm Alan, that was a great read. You're so personable, and I'm glad you shared that about you getting your 5000th DSO :D And the part about the Geminids, good for you!

I too wish I'd made more notes back in the "early days"... age teaches us wisdom we wish we had back then!

All our best to you and Mary,

Thank you Mark, your kind comments are truly appreciated. Yeah, as they say, hindsight is 20/20.

My best wishers to you and your family for the holiday season.

messier 111 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:24 pm always so pleasant to read and very informative, thx.

Thank you Jean-Yves! I wish you and your family a wonderful holiday!
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report of your adventures in Cetus and Perseus Alan. Certainly VROD worthy and fortunately the report TSS gets to feature on the Solstice!

viewtopic.php?p=261173#p261173
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:54 am Great report of your adventures in Cetus and Perseus Alan. Certainly VROD worthy and fortunately the report TSS gets to feature on the Solstice!

viewtopic.php?p=261173#p261173

Thank you Michael. Happy first day of winter! After tonight our darkness will start getting slightly shorter each night as we plow our way through winter toward spring!
Alan

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

I'd like to say, great session, Alan....but every "Alan Session" sets a standard! This certainly was an incredible ending to a rather below average year. Good that you were able to catch some Geminids. This certainly was an impressive year for the Geminids.

Congrats on your 5000th milestone, and of course, your very well deserved VROD.

Looking forward to your first report of the new year. Wishing you health and happiness for 2024, my friend :sprefac:

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:16 pm I'd like to say, great session, Alan....but every "Alan Session" sets a standard! This certainly was an incredible ending to a rather below average year. Good that you were able to catch some Geminids. This certainly was an impressive year for the Geminids.

Congrats on your 5000th milestone, and of course, your very well deserved VROD.

Looking forward to your first report of the new year. Wishing you health and happiness for 2024, my friend :sprefac:

Dave

Thank you very much Dave. The last trip this year to the other house certainly made up for a lot of oddities during the rest of the year. I am full of positive outlook for the coming year in many ways, not the least of which is my galaxy hunting. :icon-smile:

I certainly do wish you and your family, and friends, the warmest and happiest Christmas and only good things for 2024. Keep looking up my friend.
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

What an impressive and enormous session! A very nice and interesting read too.
Congratulations on your 5000th DSO observed! What a great milestone! :greetings-clapyellow:
Observing since 1960, another record......
This is a VROD with a golden lining.
Congratulations!!!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:12 am What an impressive and enormous session! A very nice and interesting read too.
Congratulations on your 5000th DSO observed! What a great milestone! :greetings-clapyellow:
Observing since 1960, another record......
This is a VROD with a golden lining.
Congratulations!!!

Thank you John. The only downside is that while I was observing for a long time on and off, I chose not to document my observing for so many decades. That is the embarrassing truth of the matter that I cannot escape, and why I encourage all to keep notes and a log of their nightly journeys. I effectively had to start over around 2010 and re-observe objects that I knew I had seen but could not fully recall. But I am on the right track now and will remain so until I am finally unable to observe. :icon-smile:
Alan