Let's see your reports!
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Wow it's clear!!! SkyMaster session

Post by helicon »

Well sort of. The clouds have temporarily parted as of 2:33 A.M. local time. I got up to take a middle of the night med and then wasn't tired so I finished the VROD write-up of Andrey's recent session and checked the skies from the middle deck.

Surprise! A starry plethora of points of light. Hmmm it might be possible to enjoy the Bortle 5 skies from home. There was a cloud moving south behind a Douglas Fir and another belt of clouds in the West.

So I grabbed the 15x70's and let my eyes dark adapt for a few minutes, enjoying a balmy 46 degree night.

Naked eye, there was a starry jewelbox floating in the South (the Pleiades). Turning the glasses on it I counted maybe 55 stars visible in the cluster. I was hoping to make out some nebulosity around Merope and Alcyone but nothing was seen. The Hyades V-shaped cluster was next, a loose asterism, if you will, dominated by the red-orange glow of Aldebaran. Next I aimed at Zeta Tauri, the well-known marker star for Messier 1 the Crab Nebula. From there, I noted a fleeting presence of something non-stellar, visible but on the edge of perception. Checking the atlas page and noting the position of M1 in a right-side up instrument, I believe I nabbed it.

Looking towards the zenith and just under the top of the deck overhang I counted three large fuzzy objects which of course I have seen before, M36, M37, and M38.

After that I panned around a bit, noting the movement of some wispy clouds (ground fog) which had arisen above one of the two nearby lakes. This haziness is especially noticeable on clear and partly cloudy nights, sometimes spoiling the rare clear night for a ground-based observer.

Looking East, I could see Orion's belt, or at least Alnitak I believe through some cedar branches. With that, having seen just about all of the bino objects visible in the bit of sky available, I came back in to send this report off into the aether. Since it's nearly 3:30 local time I am going to chill and then check the skies again at 4:30 to see what has moved into position. Hopefully then I'll take out the 102mm XLT for a spin. Goodnight, all.

Edit: It is now 4:36 AM and mostly foggy but still managed a view of the fabulous Orion Nebula, M42 and M43 - M78 further up Orion's body however was not visible.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Wow it's clear!!! SkyMaster session

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice binocular session Michael! Great that you have gotten opportunity to enjoy some winter skies. Did you use a support for your binos?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:56 pm Nice binocular session Michael! Great that you have gotten opportunity to enjoy some winter skies. Did you use a support for your binos?
Yep it was a decent session, I handheld them because I can keep them steady for a couple of minutes, rest, and then repeat. In the first longer session I was leaning back in an inclined wicker chair that we keep out on the deck so that helped because you can kind of prop up your elbows.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Very nicely done Michael. I remember when our skies at home were a solid Bortle 5 and I miss those nights! Sounds like you had a fine time admiring some of the winter treats. I would say most definitely M1 is within reach of 15x70s in your sky. There was a time on nights of excellent transparency, I could just discern it in 10x50s from our B5 backyard.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

With the need for quick setup because of the weather, don't skimp on the price for comfortable and quality viewing and just get a pair of these with a quality heavy duty tripod.

TS also shows some cheaper ones, but the prisms and mirrors are difficult to get right, so best to pay for something that looks good. I've been wanting to get some forever but keep telling myself that I have too much stuff already (very true).
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

kt4hx wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:05 pm Very nicely done Michael. I remember when our skies at home were a solid Bortle 5 and I miss those nights! Sounds like you had a fine time admiring some of the winter treats. I would say most definitely M1 is within reach of 15x70s in your sky. There was a time on nights of excellent transparency, I could just discern it in 10x50s from our B5 backyard.
M1 is definitely within the reach of 15x70, I have resolved with 15x50 as well.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very fine read , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Impressive observation of M1 with binoculars! Great!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.