SeeStar s50

If you are interested in getting started in AP (Astrophotography) or have just begun AP post your questions here. You can also post images if you want suggestions on how to improve them.
kenpresley United States of America
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

SeeStar s50

Post by kenpresley »

Astrophotography has been a desire of mine for many years. Even had a great Williams Optic scope and a Skywatcher HEQ5 mount. Apparently I had more money than smarts because I could never get an image on my Kodak Instamatic camera. (Joking of course, but it does show my age.) Actually a Canon Rebel T3. Finally sold scope and mount about a year ago.
Last week I read about a new "smart" telescope, the SeeStar s50 which is to take great pictures of stars and nebula only using your phone. There is no eyepiece so any observing is done directly on the phone screen. After reading hours of reviews and tutorials I ordered the unit. $495. It works as advertised.
Only drawback I have found is that it does not work with either of my analog tablets, only my iPhone.
First night I had the unit skies were clear (imagine that!) so I took the attached photo of Pacman Nebula. 55 minutes under very light polluted skies. Looking forward to many hours of fun with this little unit.
Attachments
Pacman nebula.jpg
Telescopes: Orion Skyquest XT10 goto, Orion St80 on ES Twilight 1, Seestar s50
Binoculars: Celestron Skymaster 25-125x80 zoom
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: SeeStar s50

Post by Thefatkitty »

Very impressive Ken, I see why these get the reviews they do! Clear skies when you got it? Wow, that's a rarity... :lol:

Look forward to seeing more of what you get. That's really a good first start!

BTW, I deleted the duplicate post.

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Earth Ambassador

Post by kenpresley »

Thanks for the comments, Mark. And thank you for deleting the duplicate post. I wasn't sure how to do that.
Be well.
seigell United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by seigell »

No support for "Android (analog?) Tablets"??
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)
Earth Ambassador

Post by kenpresley »

At least not that I could find. Right now my iPhone is handling control of the unit quite well so I have not pursued the tablet support. Would like to have it for outreach parties this summer, though.
Thanks for the comment.
Ken
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very nice , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada: