Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

The crisis in cosmology

Post by Gmetric »

A good one from Dr Becky

Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
Mount: Sky-Explorer HEQ 5 belt driven
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Re: The crisis in cosmology

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A interesting and entertaining video.
Thank you Arry :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Good one Arry, cheers.

It will be interesting to see what the JWST data shows us.

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Ruh roh.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

Thank you. That is an entertaining video and easy to understand.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

So, the simplest possible cosmological model is not good enough. These results put another nail in the coffin of the cosmological principle, which all cosmological models are based on. Feynman called it an absurdity long ago already. Dropping it will be a complete overhaul. Hopefully the JWST will provide a lot more evidence soon.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

One wonders how many discrepancies (large or small) have to pop up before there's a paradigm change. I guess we have to wait and see.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

SkyHiker wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:59 pm So, the simplest possible cosmological model is not good enough. These results put another nail in the coffin of the cosmological principle, which all cosmological models are based on. Feynman called it an absurdity long ago already. Dropping it will be a complete overhaul. Hopefully the JWST will provide a lot more evidence soon.
Hey Henk, thanks for the response. I think perhaps you are jumping the gun just a little. Technically, as it stands, there aren't really any "nails" in the "coffin" for the ΛCDM cosmological model. There are a few clues that hint at some problems and one crack in the model, which is definitely not a crisis. The evolution of stars, galaxies, massive galaxies, proto-galactic clusters and fully-fledged clusters happens consistently with theoretical predictions. Reionization, on average, is completed when the Universe is approximately 550 million years old, which matches theoretical predictions. Cosmic microwave background radiation fluctuations are slightly lower in magnitude than expected but are consistent with cosmic variance and theoretical predictions with a confidence level of 95%. Okay, there aren't any angular correlations, but that is, as expected, to a relatively high confidence level, just two sigma, which is acceptable in astronomical theory. Colliding galaxy clusters show a clear separation between where the ordinary matter is and the mass. For isolated clusters, gravitational lensing data requires not just dark matter but also a clumpy substructure to exist within those dark matter haloes. Galaxies moving within clusters require dark matter, and the internal motions of stars within galaxies require something else: MOND, which doesn't work for the larger scales or dark matter, which fits. Recent claims that “wide binary stars support modified gravity” have proven grossly overestimated or wrong. At best, and in my humble opinion, I'd say that these are clues that the current working model needs more work and nothing more.

The only thing one could legitimately call a crack is the discrepancies between the current methods used to calculate the Universe's expansion. The early relic method (baryon acoustic oscillations in the Universe’s large-scale structure and the peak fluctuation scale in the cosmic microwave background) which sits at 67 km/s/Mpc, and the distance ladder method which sits at ~73 km/s/Mpc. This "Hubble tension" isn't so much a crack in the ΛCDM cosmological model but rather a consequence of our inability to find a solution for the disagreement.

Now, I'm certainly not going to sit here and say that it is perfect because it is far from that, but thus far, it has proved to be quite successful in predicting various observations. The problems may be resolved with adjustments as opposed to a paradigm shift; that's not to say that it is implausible that a paradigm shift may be better than what we have. Nevertheless, paradigm shifts require substantial changes in what is currently known, for example, the Ptolemaic system to the Copernican system or Newton to Einstien(not really a paradigm shift but a leap in understanding IMHO), so while I fully expect changes, I think it might be a tad early to burry ΛCDM cosmological model, just yet. But maybe next month, lol ;)
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
Mount: Sky-Explorer HEQ 5 belt driven

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Fixed it! Well, part of it... Maybe... :lol:
https://academic.oup.com/mnras/article/ ... login=true