Red dot finder questions

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
milanpicard
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Red dot finder questions

Post by milanpicard »

Hi, all, long time no see!

I would have a red dot finder question, I know it's not an eyepiece, but I did not find a red dot finder subforum. :)

Soo, my old red dot finder just refuses to work anymore. It's one from a 5-inch Heritage dobsonian, and I've been using it for my 8-dob as well. I put some powerful magnets between the clamps that fixed it to the scope, and I just put it on the metal tube of the 8dob, it stuck quite well. Of course, I had to screw and unscrue the two little screws that tighten said clamps whenever I switched to the Heritage (used without the magnets) and the 8dob (used with the magnets), this might have shortened its lifespan too, I guess some contacts no longer make contact in there because of so many movements.

So, I saw that my local astro shop has two options: the Celestron Star Pointer Pro and the Baader Sky Surfer 3 (a bit more pricey).

My questions would be: 1. Do I see it well that both of them have the same type of clamps that can be attached to a 5dob Heritage, if I take them off their metallic mounts?
2. How could I mount a red dot finder on the tube of the 8dob Celestron without stuffing the magnets between the clampsa and thus risking to deteriorate the casing of the new finder as well? I do not want to bore holes into the tube, and I see that the mounts of both finders have some holes for screws which the 8dob tube just doesn't have. Any easy suggestions, pls?
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Re: Red dot finder questions

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The Baader is much better quality and comes with various adapters.
You may figure out how to leave one on each telescope and just move the finder.

Have you ever considered a Telrad?
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

There is also the Rigel; https://agenaastro.com/rigel-systems-quikfinder.html

I prefer the Telrad, but the Rigel has a smaller foot print which is good for smaller scopes.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Well the RDF have a limited life , but all the ones I have had worked fine after years of abuse , normally its just a battery replacement , they used to be cheap , but have gone expensive , I do a lot of scope refurbs in RSA and ordered like 20 many years ago , have used them all now and new now in RSA is too much
I only like them on GO TO scopes , on my manual scopes optical is much better
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I found the circles on the SP Pro to be too bright for my light polluted skies. I had to mask the diode to get it to a reasonably useful brightness. YMMV.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

i use a simular one to this,the all metal ones seem to hold collimation way better then plastic ones

https://www.siderealtrading.com.au/prod ... ting-base/
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Hi Milan, I have moved your topic to Other Accessories. This is the proper place to discuss finders.

Getting back on topic, I use white 3M removable mounting tape to attach red dot base to the scope tube. I would not trust it to hold RACI base, but for red dot it is quite secure and you can remove it later if needed.

My favorite type of red dot is the basic Celestron Star Pointer (not Pro). I have tried fancier styles but that basic red dot serves me the best.

Quite few other vendors offer (or used to offer) the same model. It typically comes with a few different style bases.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
milanpicard
Moon Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by milanpicard »

It took me a while to find my post😀

Thank you for all your kind replies. I think I will get the Baader, then. As I see, it has some kind of holder arm that fits into the clamp on the tube of the 8dob, the one that holds the finder scope. And the clamp that holds the finder on the holder arm can be fitted on the 5dob Heritage. Can any of you guys confirm this? Anyway, thank you for your suggestions.

As for the other suggestions, after 3500+ objects seen in the sky I still do not know what a telrad really is😃, it looked out of my very limited budget so I did not bother with finding out about it, and my local shop only sells the Celestron and the Baader, so not much of a choice. Anyway, a good Christmas present. Thank you for your help!
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

@milanpicard
Omegon sells their version of the Telrad for about the price of the Baader.
Very easy to use and can be used on multiple telescopes.
https://www.astroshop.eu/red-dot-projec ... er/p,58247
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
milanpicard
Moon Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by milanpicard »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:09 pm @milanpicard
Omegon sells their version of the Telrad for about the price of the Baader.
Very easy to use and can be used on multiple telescopes.
https://www.astroshop.eu/red-dot-projec ... er/p,58247
Thank you, I watched a video about the telrad, do I understand correctly that the basic difference between a telrad and a red dot finder is that the red dot finder puts one red dot on the sky, and the telrad uses a bullseye for it?
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Correct, Nice that you are back on the forum
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

That is correct. The different sized circles also allow for easy star hopping.
There are also many sites online that have free finder charts for the Telrad.
Gabrielle
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

It says the Telrad is easy to use with multiple scopes. I think they mean you need to buy a base for each scope first and stick it on permanently, which probably nobody does.

After I used my base for an old Dob I found that if I cut a rubber band from an old bicycle tube (it lasts forever) and use that to clamp the baseless Telrad down, I can use the Telrad on any scope because its feet align with the tube so you don't even have to recalibrate it when you move it around from one scope to the next.

So, the Telrad is much bigger and clunkier than needed but the way I use it, it is actually a good thing.

BTW Drilling a hole in a Dob is not too traumatic. I've cut up a Z12 tube to make it collapsible, drilled holes all over for two kinds of trusses and it still works fine. So I would not be too afraid to drill a hole for a red dot finder.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

100% drilling a hole in a tube is easy just make sure its always pointing down and use masking tape on both sides to stop any filings on the important parts
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

I use a wet cloth and dab to get any loose filings out of the tube, and then tip the tube so the mirror is facing towards the ground and give it a few small light low pressure burst of air aiming to the inner side of the tube to get debre out from the rear of the mirror.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

milanpicard
Moon Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by milanpicard »

Thanks, guys, for all the good advice. I will get the Baader red dot finder then, since that is what I have been using for starhopping. And I can mount this finder on both scopes with the accessories that come with it. I will just exchange it for the finder scope of the 8dob, singe I can find things much easier with the red dot finder. Merry Christmas to me! 🙂
chris0959 United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by chris0959 »

Hello all,

I have a new Celestron 6SE.

The finder scope cannot be adjusted 'down' enough to align with the target star. The red dot hovers about '1 inch' above the target, and I have to approximate this offset when trying to align the scope.

I see this identical issue on other forums, but no official solutions...just cardboard shims and zip ties.

Does anyone know if this is a known issue that has a solution?

Thanks very much,
--C
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

chris0959 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:05 pm Hello all,

I have a new Celestron 6SE.

The finder scope cannot be adjusted 'down' enough to align with the target star. The red dot hovers about '1 inch' above the target, and I have to approximate this offset when trying to align the scope.

I see this identical issue on other forums, but no official solutions...just cardboard shims and zip ties.

Does anyone know if this is a known issue that has a solution?

Thanks very much,
--C

Welcome to TSS Chris! Red dots typically have two knobs to align them to the scope. I had a similar problem however with a couple of scopes where the adjustment range was not wide enough to align. In those situations a piece of cardboard, tape or thin plastic under red dot foot did the trick.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

@chris0959
Unfortunately this has been a ongoing issue with these finders but it can happen with others as well.
I had a expensive Moonlite focuser that I needed to shim my 9x50 finder to aim it properly.
Gabrielle