A little observing with the grandson

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

A little observing with the grandson

Post by kt4hx »

Our seven year old grandson, Theo, is spending the weekend with us because his parents are at the hospital with their new baby, born just after midnight on the 18th of November. So this evening about 1730 hours I took him outside with the ES AR127 refractor to show him a few sights. As it was his first time looking through a telescope, eye placement was a little bit of an issue, but he got the hang of it for the most part. Hopefully he will have some continued interest as the years go by and I can help guide his curiosity about the night sky. Anyway, I set up the scope on the ES Twilight II mount, and had a step stool handy to help him reach the eyepiece as needed.

Just as we got the scope set up, I happened to look to the southwest and saw what I was certain was the ISS rising up into the sky. It was quite bright and moving at a steady pace. We watched it as it went over nearly at the zenith at mag -3.4.

The first object we visited was of course the 33% illuminated moon. Using the 127mm frac with the Astro-Tech UWA 28mm (29x) we had a wonderful view of the crescent moon, with countless craters and a nice terminator line. The "earth shine" faintly illuminating the unlit portion of the disk nicely. In particular we noticed the Theophilus crater, Mare Tranquillitatis and Mare Serenitatis. It was quite beautiful in the evening gloaming.

We next visited Saturn, almost 24° to the northeast. Of course at 29x in the AR127 it was of course quite small, and he was not sure he could see the rings. So I then put in the Pentax XW 10mm (82x) which helped a lot. The rings now stood out against the not quite dark sky. We also noticed the moons Titan (mag 8.6) and Tethys (mag 10.5). He now said he would like to see Jupiter, so I moved the scope to another section of the backyard to get access to the king of the planets which was low in the east behind a tree from our original position. Leaving the 10mm in place, Jupiter was a beautiful large disk, with its two equatorial bands clearly evident. The four main moons were also front and center with Europa (mag 5.1), Ganymede (mag 4.4) and Callisto (mag 5.5) stretched out to the southwest, and lonely Io (mag 4.8) positioned to the northeast.

Now that I had shown him what I promised, I decided to let him see a few DSOs as well. First was M31 in Andromeda. Putting the 28mm (29x) back in, I used the 8x50 RACI finder to locate this bright galaxy. At 29x it was pretty small, so I dropped the 10mm (82x) back into the focuser and let him have a look, explaining what he was seeing and just how long it took that light to arrive to his eye. Granted, it was a bit of overload on the info, but I think he was as impressed as a seven year old can be. :lol: While we were looking at M31, my eye finally picked up M32 as well, which I pointed out to him, and I believe he also seeing it as well. Of course with M31 we were only seeing the brighter elongated central region of M31, but still, in a typical Bortle 6 sky, that was not at astronomical darkness, plus the moon, plus with the five inch - not too bad.

I noticed M45, the Pleiades, rising over a neighborhood house to the northeast, and pointed it out to him. I did not have my glasses on but could see them as a fuzziness low in the sky. He also easily saw them, and I turned the scope their way. Using the 28mm (29x) again, they fit nicely into the field of view and he looked at them as I explained their nature and the fact of their proximity to us makes them look more spread out than other open clusters that are farther away. My last object shared with Theo was the double cluster in Perseus. At 29x the pair was not overly robust in the AR127 in our skies this evening, but he could definitely see them as a pair of stellar concentrations. Again I explained their nature, trying to keep it simple.

At this point I could sense he was about ready to head back inside, so I told him to go ahead while brought the gear back into the house. It was a simple little session to introduce him to the sky. I feel it was interesting to him, but I know how little kids can be, and their interests kind of wobble around a bit. So I will see as time passes whether or not he wishes to do another session with "papaw." I know I enjoyed it at least! :icon-smile:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: A little observing with the grandson

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A wonderful time out Alan.
Glad you could enjoy it with him :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Alan, that sounds like an amazing time with your grandson!

Congratulations on another grandchild! Boy or girl?

I am so much looking forward to having this experience one evening with my grandson. He is still a little guy at 2 1/2, so I have some time to wait.
Not that I want more time to wait ! I'm getting on up there (68) and really hope that I can start the spark of interest in the night sky with him.

That ES AR127 must be a wonderful scope. I have the ED102 and had some great times with it on nights with good seeing, so I can imagine how much better one inch would be.

I think that we can do okay even with my 5" newt.

Thanks for sharing your evening with your grandson. Hits home for sure!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

happy for you, this time spent with our young children is so precious.
Giving to the next generation is priceless.
thx.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:23 am A wonderful time out Alan.
Glad you could enjoy it with him :)

Thank you Gabrielle. I think he enjoyed himself. He can be kind of hard to read at times. He and I were out prior to that kicking a soccer ball around for a bit in the cool air. Stubby (my avatar) was out there running around all frisky playing with us in his ability to do so. Then I pointed out the moon to Theo and asked if he would want to take a look at it, Saturn and Jupiter a little later. He seemed happy to do so. I know I enjoyed it! :icon-smile:

Juno16 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:49 am Alan, that sounds like an amazing time with your grandson!

Congratulations on another grandchild! Boy or girl?

I am so much looking forward to having this experience one evening with my grandson. He is still a little guy at 2 1/2, so I have some time to wait.
Not that I want more time to wait ! I'm getting on up there (68) and really hope that I can start the spark of interest in the night sky with him.

That ES AR127 must be a wonderful scope. I have the ED102 and had some great times with it on nights with good seeing, so I can imagine how much better one inch would be.

I think that we can do okay even with my 5" newt.

Thanks for sharing your evening with your grandson. Hits home for sure!

Thank you Jim. She had another boy, Lucas. So Theo now has a little brother.

This was the first time I asked him if he wanted to take a look through a scope. It was a little awkward for him with eye placement, and wanting to press his head against the eyepiece, thus knocking it off target. But eventually he started getting the hang of it and was able to see the objects. He has a wide range of interests and is very inquisitive. I know you will enjoy it as well when the time is right to share the night sky with your grandson. You can see my scopes in my signature, and if Theo continues having an interest, I would plan to give him one at some point that maybe him and his dad could share at their home at some point. I wish you good luck with your little guy at the appropriate time.

The AR127 is a nice scope. Admittedly since I am predominantly a galaxy hunter and I have larger scopes, it had been a few years since I'd used it for general observing. It was last used for the 2017 full solar eclipse. But other than that had been tucked away in its box in the house. So it finally got its chance to shine under the light of night once again! :icon-smile: Its not fancy, but it is functional and capable. I know one inch doesn't seem like much, but when dealing with small apertures, it can indeed make a noticeable difference. As aperture increases through mid and larger apertures it takes bigger jumps to get the same improvement. The law of diminishing returns. :icon-smile: Also one's observing habits and skill play into that as well.

Anyway, take care Jim and keep looking up. Also keep on posting your fine images - I enjoy them a lot!

messier 111 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:04 pm happy for you, this time spent with our young children is so precious.
Giving to the next generation is priceless.
thx.

Thank you Jean-Yves. You are correct. It is important to spend time with them and share as much knowledge as you can. To pass on our life experiences and knowledge is what perpetuates the generations. and builds on the family relationships.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Some quality time with grandson there, Alan. I have developed interest in astronomy at about the same age. It may stick, you never know. I wish there was someone with a telescope at that time to show me things. All I had was a planisphere made from a magazine print and half of binoculars. :lol:
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:05 pm Some quality time with grandson there, Alan. I have developed interest in astronomy at about the same age. It may stick, you never know. I wish there was someone with a telescope at that time to show me things. All I had was a planisphere made from a magazine print and half of binoculars. :lol:

Thank you Andrey. Yeah I understand the minimalist approach we had back in those days. My first thing was also a planisphere, but it was actually a real manufactured one. I also had a full set of binoculars, 7x50 Tasco. Eventually I got a 3 inch Gilbert reflector, like the one below. But I suffered from lack of star maps and had to use the local library and if I could ever find a copy of Sky & Telescope magazine at the local store. But the innocence of youth and a sense of discovery kept me motivated. I didn't always know what object I was looking at, but I spent many an evening at that scope in the backyard. Skies were certainly darker back then! The scope was not very good, but to my young eyes it was marvelous and took me on many journies. :icon-smile:

Gilbert telescope.jpg
Alan

StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Alan, I really enjoyed reading this report of you and your grandson, Theo. It's so wonderful making memories with your children and grandchildren, some which will last them a lifetime! Congrats on the new grandson, Lucas!
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

What a wonderful session with the grandson. He is just about the perfect age to infuse a curiosity about the world of science and the queen of all sciences, astronomy. That sense of wonder just never goes away. Kudos to you for kindling it and also congrats on Lucas' birth.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

StarBru wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:06 pm Alan, I really enjoyed reading this report of you and your grandson, Theo. It's so wonderful making memories with your children and grandchildren, some which will last them a lifetime! Congrats on the new grandson, Lucas!

Thank you Bruce. It was a short but special time for us. One I hope we can repeat again in the future.

helicon wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:07 pm What a wonderful session with the grandson. He is just about the perfect age to infuse a curiosity about the world of science and the queen of all sciences, astronomy. That sense of wonder just never goes away. Kudos to you for kindling it and also congrats on Lucas' birth.

Thank you Michael. He is an inquisitive little guy for sure. Hopefully that will continue and he will grow in his interest level.
Alan

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Congrats Papaw! Nothing so grand as grandkids imho!! Great session as well. You both deserve the VROD!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:44 pm Congrats Papaw! Nothing so grand as grandkids imho!! Great session as well. You both deserve the VROD!!

Dave

Thank you Dave. It was very relaxing and simple fun.
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

It is great to have quality-time with your grandchildren!
This is how I experienced it a week ago. My grandson - and daughter ( 7 and 6) wanted to see "the planets". And they did.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:43 pm It is great to have quality-time with your grandchildren!
This is how I experienced it a week ago. My grandson - and daughter ( 7 and 6) wanted to see "the planets". And they did.

Thank you John. That is correct - it is a special thing to share with the little ones. Something so simple can create long lasting memories.
Alan