Arduino Rain Sensor

See sub forums to discuss "Do it yourself" projects.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Arduino Rain Sensor

Post by Graeme1858 »

I put an Arduino Rain Sensor for the observatory together earlier in the year. But when the weather heated up I dropped it and worked on an extractor fan controller instead. Well it's not hot any more and there's risk of rain every day instead! So I've resurrected the Rain Sensor project and improved on the mark 1 with the addition of an anti condensation heater to stop dew forming on the rain sensor plate.

So the Arduino measures the voltage between alternate lines on a Vero board using a voltage divider, when a rain drop falls on the Vero board the voltage on an analogue input pin changes. I used an Ascom driver I found online to tell NINA the Safety Monitor state change from Safe to Not Safe. Then using the NINA Ground Station plugin, NINA sends a notification to an app called Pushover. Pushover then sends a notification to my phone to wake me up if I've nodded off on the settee!

A DHT11 sensor measures temperature and humidity. The Arduino code calculates the dew point and when it rises to < 4 below ambient temperature a relay switches on a supply to a pair of heating power resistors to prevent dew forming on the rain sensor and giving a false alarm.

The whole thing works really well, on my desk! I've yet to put it in the observatory. There's just one minor flaw, there is no heater feedback loop, once the humidity rises and the heaters come on, they stay on. I think I need to put the heaters in a box under the rain sensor and use another DHT11 to provide additional control of the heaters.

This is it so far:

20231101_154138.jpg

Can anyone think of a problem that hasn't occurred to me? Yeah, I know the rain sensor plate soldering is rough! It had been a while when I did that. The final version will be neater. And yeah I know the cable feeding the secondary side of the relay contacts is too small, the final installation cable sizes will be fit for purpose!

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/