Eclipse in April: To scope or not to scope?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
adilhussain084 Pakistan
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Eclipse in April: To scope or not to scope?

Post by adilhussain084 »

To scope during an eclipse in April, ensure you have the right equipment and safety measures in place. Safety is paramount, especially during a solar eclipse. If you're well-prepared and it aligns with your interests, go ahead and scope.
Mike Q United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

gregl wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:21 am
Mike Q wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:20 am Honestly i am not all that interested in eclipses. I mean i will look for a minute but traveling to watch isnt something i would do

Have you ever seen a total solar eclipse in person?
I think i have seen a partial. That was probably 10 years ago or longer. It was neat i suppose, but again, not something i would drive anywhere to see.
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

Well, Mike, once you have seen a total eclipse in person you will not forget it, and you'll be hooked. Partial does not count. A partial is sort of like going to a fine restaurant and only reading the menu, or perhaps buying a copy of a great work of literature and only reading the dust cover blurb.
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Post by hosshead »

I'm personally kinda jazzed that the comet might be naked eye visible and maybe we can see it DURING THE DAY at totality, and not too far from the sun at that.

I am rooting for Mikes weather prognostication to be wrong, also living in Ohio.
Binoculars; Celestron Skymaster 18-40 X 80 zoom, Bushnell7-15 X 35 zoom, a couple of older single speed Bushnells that ride around in the car for weather spotting clarification
Scopes; Tiny little Mak-Cass Celestron c90 spotter scope that lets me count the moons of Jupiter and with which I can see Saturns rings in Mickey Mouse phase
Old Meade 1000mm f/11 that was missing the finder scope and ring so I rigged one onto the barrel using duct tape and a bit of cardboard and that actually works and I can count the moons of Jupiter with this one too.
Meade 6" reflector,(really elderly), found at a yard sale, the tube is a bucket of rust and corroded mirror but the mount and tripod will be recoverable so hooray for that.
Cameras; Mamiya medium format 645 with a couple of polaroid backs and a series of wide angle to 50mm lenses
Konica-Minolta 35mm,Sony alpha dslr's, up to the a900 full frame, mostly got them used because I don't have much money.
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Post by hosshead »

and I have 2 dozen pairs of eclipse glasses to share.

because Mike is going to be wrong.

lol.
Binoculars; Celestron Skymaster 18-40 X 80 zoom, Bushnell7-15 X 35 zoom, a couple of older single speed Bushnells that ride around in the car for weather spotting clarification
Scopes; Tiny little Mak-Cass Celestron c90 spotter scope that lets me count the moons of Jupiter and with which I can see Saturns rings in Mickey Mouse phase
Old Meade 1000mm f/11 that was missing the finder scope and ring so I rigged one onto the barrel using duct tape and a bit of cardboard and that actually works and I can count the moons of Jupiter with this one too.
Meade 6" reflector,(really elderly), found at a yard sale, the tube is a bucket of rust and corroded mirror but the mount and tripod will be recoverable so hooray for that.
Cameras; Mamiya medium format 645 with a couple of polaroid backs and a series of wide angle to 50mm lenses
Konica-Minolta 35mm,Sony alpha dslr's, up to the a900 full frame, mostly got them used because I don't have much money.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

hosshead wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:04 am I'm personally kinda jazzed that the comet might be naked eye visible and maybe we can see it DURING THE DAY at totality, and not too far from the sun at that.

I am rooting for Mikes weather prognostication to be wrong, also living in Ohio.
Comet 12P Pons Brooks will barely be visible to the naked eye in total darkness let alone during an eclipse when ambient light is quite bright. See the light curve below.

For those who have not seen a total eclipse, the sky does not go black as seen in some photos. It is twilight blue. The sky is lit by sunlight scattering through the atmosphere from the edges of the umbral path. The brightness of the sky is therefore related to the width of the umbral shadow and scattering properties of the particulates in the atmosphere. No two eclipses are exactly the same. The eclipse in Zambia, June 2001 had a 170km path, a similar path width to the 2024 eclipse in Ohio. The sky was a deep blue. Similar to nautical twilight. Even if the April 8 sky is similar, it's not bright enough to show up a 4.5 magnitude comet to the naked eye. You might see the nucleus in binoculars but I'd recommend that you concentrate on the eclipse.
12P-PONS-BROOKS-2024-mag2.gif

Mike's weather prognostication is not a guess. Decades of weather data show a very low probability of clear skies. Sorry, just trying to keep your expectations realistic. There is a low but not zero probability of clear sky so you could get lucky but travelling south is a better bet.

I have a similar problem in 2028. The path of totality passes about an hour and a half drive north of my house but I'll probably drive 500-1000km up the path to greatly improve my chances of clear sky.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

gregl wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:21 am
Mike Q wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:20 am Honestly i am not all that interested in eclipses. I mean i will look for a minute but traveling to watch isnt something i would do

Have you ever seen a total solar eclipse in person?
I dont remember if it was a total eclipse or not, but we did watch one some years ago in the parking lot at work using a welding mask and just passed it around.

I have the filters for my binoculars and 4 inch and i will set up for anyone local who wants to watch it. I will look at totality for a minute just so i can say i did it. I did take the day off, not so much to watch the eclipse but more not to have to deal with the chaos that will descend on this county. We are about 25 miles east of dead center of totality and this general area. EMA predicts that this general area will have someplace between 200 and 300 thousand visitors. That is something that rural counties like mine can not handle.
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

??
"Comet 12P Pons Brooks will barely be visible to the naked in total darkness..." Hypothetically, I'd be ok with that, but what should we do if it's cold outside?
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

This will be my first and last total eclipse. I am going for the emotional and esthetic experience, not for photos. I plan to set up a DSLR with a tele lens and an intervalometer, and I might take binoculars. Well, okay, I might take my little C-90. But when totality comes along, I plan to be sitting in my lawn chair just watching it. If I want snazzy photos of the corona, someone else's will be better than any I could take anyway.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

AntennaGuy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:58 pm ??
"Comet 12P Pons Brooks will barely be visible to the naked in total darkness..." Hypothetically, I'd be ok with that, but what should we do if it's cold outside?
:lol: All part of the experience, I guess. :Astronomer1:
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
StarHugger United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by StarHugger »

My first Eclipse I was six and at a bus stop in a major american city with my Mom niether of us knowing an eclipse was about to occure and that included all those on foot going in all directions around us,

A cloudy day and no one even noticed the moon interfearing and the darkening then all at once it seemed the skies cleared and the ominous reality came over all of us on the ground with some shrieking and others ooing and ahhing and me getting my first awareness such an event was even possible.

No one had eclipse glasses or telescopes or told thier clildren not to look at the sun, most just used thier hand until totality was complete, afterwords there were no reports of blindness on the news and I was only slightly shaken by the whole thing wondering at 6 years old what surprises might be next.

For April 8th,

I will have two scopes set up for visual, one for whitelight and one for H alpha and we will be down near the Southern IL border, or where ever we have to race to, to get to clear skies...

Best of luck All 🙂
Aaron / thestarhugger@gmail.com / Solar Kitchen Observatory / USA...

Solar Imaging Sessions 48, Solar Observing Sessions 197
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

hosshead wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:04 am I'm personally kinda jazzed that the comet might be naked eye visible and maybe we can see it DURING THE DAY at totality, and not too far from the sun at that.

The best bet to see it in Ohio would be up by the lake. Say up around Sandusky or Port Clinton.

What part of Ohio are you located in? I am near Marion
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL