I'm 100% new to this, and have so many questions

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
rodrigopolo Guatemala
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

I'm 100% new to this, and have so many questions

Post by rodrigopolo »

Hi everybody,

My name is Rodrigo, and I'm a photography enthusiast from Guatemala, a place with so many clouds 😂. Allow me to share my journey and the equipment I have, so you'll understand how I ended up here.

I enjoy photography, and on November 8, 2022, I attempted to capture a picture of the total lunar eclipse, but failed. The moon was so dim that my pictures turned out blurry due to the slow shutter speed. So, I looked online for ways to improve this for the next time, and I found that the best solution was to get an equatorial mount.

Because I live in Guatemala City (so please, forgive my not-so-perfect English) where we have many mountains and volcanoes, I have NO clear view of Polaris. After researching various equatorial mounts and watching tutorials, I decided to get the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer GTI. The shipping to Guatemala was extremely expensive 😂, but here it is now.

I have no background in astrophotography, but I understand many key concepts. I love using Stellarium to see where certain stars and planets will be right here in my backyard. I even created my own landscape using the Insta360 X3 and Photoshop to see how the trees will block my view. My background is in software development, creating web apps using PHP, MySQL, Apache, Node.js, MongoDB, etc. AND I also enjoy photography as a hobby. I have the EOS R5 with the RF 15-35mm f/2.8, EF 24-70, 70-200mm f/2.8, the RF 35mm f/1.8, the EF 50mm and 85mm f/1.8, the EF 100mm f/2.8 macro (which is the sharpest lens I own), and a Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3.

The main gear I use to take pictures of the sky are the EOS R5 with the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 and the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer GTI. Because I didn't have a background in astrophotography, I didn't knew I needed to get a Vixen Style Dovetail which I attach to an Arca-Swiss Style Quick Release Clamp Baseplate in order to mount any lens or camera, as all of my equipment uses Arca-Swiss.

The Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 isn't quite sharp, either in autofocus or manual focus, but it is what I have, and clear skies here are as rare as a unicorn sighting 😂, not to mention the sky light pollution—awful, but again, it is what it is, it is what I have.

Recently, with the annular solar eclipse, I practiced a day before with all the equipment, where I realized that the SynScan Pro app needs to be always connected in order to track the sun. Yeah, go figure, I believed that the app was just an interface and not the brain of the operation 😂. Yes, you can laugh at my ignorance in this matter.

I watched many tutorials online on how to use NINA (or N.I.N.A.) in combination with your mount and camera equipment, but man, those dudes have a huge budget and all specialized equipment, from an autofocuser, guide scope, heaters, ZWO ASIAIR, etc. And what I'm doing is, because of the inability to have a clear view of Polaris:

1. Put the tripod with the mount in place, pointing to the geographical north pole using the iPhone compass, and the iPhone attached to the mount using a phone to Arca-Swiss adapter, and checking the tripod level.
2. Using the Polar Scope Align Pro iOS app, with the "Daytime / No Polarscope Alignment" tool, setting the elevation of the mount and fixing the azimuth.
3. Putting the EOS R5 with the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3, the counterweights and balancing the ascension and declination.
4. Once balanced, using the SynScan Pro iOS app, I do a star alignment with the amount of visible stars available, from 1 to 3.

It works well with exposures that require less than 5 seconds, beyond that, I get star trails, that is why I wanted to use something like NINA, but it only runs on Windows, and I only have a Mac 😓.

I found a tutorial from Kamil Pekala who showed how to connect the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer GTI on a Mac using KStars, the mount worked, but the EOS R5 didn't connect, and after trying the GoTo option in KStars, the mount went past the limit, requiring me to turn the mount off immediately 😂. I thought it was broken, luckily, after releasing the clutch, I got it back into the home position.

So, after this long introduction, I was wondering... Is there any solution for crazy people like me who use macOS and Mirrorless/DSLR equipment to be able to use something like NINA to take pictures of the sky, aligning the mount without being able to see Polaris? I was able to take some good pictures of the Orion Nebula and Jupiter yesterday, but I had to use short shutter speeds. Is there any solution to be able to have longer exposures?

Thank you in advance.
Photography enthusiast trying to get some pictures of the sky, currently learning how to. Canon EOS R5 + Tamron SP 150-600mm + Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer GTI for the moment.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: I'm 100% new to this, and have so many questions

Post by Graeme1858 »

Hello Rodrigo.

I'm sure our Mac users will be able to give you some pointers when they come on line.

Welcome to the forum.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hi Rodrigo, welcome to TSS.

Before you do anything else please read this article. Hopefully it will clear a lot of stuff up for you. I know you have a lot of questions and hopefully this article will answer quite a few of them.

app.php/article/choosing-the-ideal-setu ... -journey-2
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

welcome to tss .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 595

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Hi and Welcome to the forums.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Welcome on board Rodrigo!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

Welcome, you've come to the right place.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Welcome to TSS Rodrigo!

I personally don't do AP, many do here, thanks for joining us!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

rodrigopolo Guatemala
Earth Ambassador

Post by rodrigopolo »

Thank you all for the greetings, I'll share what I was lucky to capture with you, first, the Pleiades:
[image][/image]

Orion constellation and Nebula:
[image][/image]
[image][/image]
[image][/image]

And different exposures of Jupiter with its moons:
[image][/image]
[image][/image]
[image][/image]
[image][/image]

I think I'll have to get a PC to get this feature of NINA in order to "Polar Align in the BLIND", I can't believe there is not an option for macOS :-/
Photography enthusiast trying to get some pictures of the sky, currently learning how to. Canon EOS R5 + Tamron SP 150-600mm + Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer GTI for the moment.
UkDave Great Britain
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UkDave »

Welcome Rodrigo have a look here https://www.macobservatory.com/mac-astronomy-software/ for Mac software soloutions ccdciel may be useful or cloud makers software for dslr which are in the lists on that webpage .

Dave
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Welcome to TSS nice photos
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
rodrigopolo Guatemala
Earth Ambassador

Post by rodrigopolo »

UkDave wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:11 am Welcome Rodrigo have a look here https://www.macobservatory.com/mac-astronomy-software/ for Mac software soloutions ccdciel may be useful or cloud makers software for dslr which are in the lists on that webpage .

Dave
Thank you very much, it is quite a list, I'll see which has something like N.I.N.A.'s Three Point Polar Alignment plug-in.

I totally forgot I had an old Intel MacBook Pro that has a ruined keyboard and touchpad, but it works with an external keyboard and mouse, so I did a clear install of the latest macOS, and then with Boot Camp, I installed a modified version of Windows 11 with TPM bypassed, then I was able to download and install:

1. EOS Utility 3.17.0 for the EOS R5
2. SynScan Pro App, Version 2.4.8 for the mount
3. Ascom Platform 6.6SP2
4. ASCOM Driver for SynScan App Version 1.4.0
5. N.I.N.A. Version 2.3 HF1 + Sky Atlas Image Repository + Offline Sky Map Cache
6. ASTAP + Very large database installer (D80)
7. PHD2 Guiding
8. PlateSolve2

I followed a tutorial in YouTube to install all the software and to setup N.I.N.A., first I had to start SynScan Pro App, setup the right coordinates, the COM3 connection, connect to the mount, then open N.I.N.A., after closing the EOS Utility (which runs in background), I was able to connect to the camera, and then I was able to connect to the mount, and control both, the camera and the mount, then I installed the Three Point Polar Alignment plug-in, but because I'm doing this in my free time, I'll leave the testing for tomorrow, it looks like it will work, and I think I'll use the Windows Remote Desktop once I align the mount which is my biggest burden, quite happy to have come this far.

BTW, I didn't knew that N.I.N.A. didn't had common planets in it's database, after a Google search I realized it is more focused in DSO photography, but the Three Point Polar Alignment is a life saver for people like me, without a clear view of Polaris.

Here is the tutorial I followed, in case it is useful to some novice like me here.

Again, thanks for the list and the greetings.
UkDave Great Britain
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UkDave »

rodrigopolo wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:59 am
UkDave wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:11 am Welcome Rodrigo have a look here https://www.macobservatory.com/mac-astronomy-software/ for Mac software soloutions ccdciel may be useful or cloud makers software for dslr which are in the lists on that webpage .

Dave
Thank you very much, it is quite a list, I'll see which has something like N.I.N.A.'s Three Point Polar Alignment plug-in.

I totally forgot I had an old Intel MacBook Pro that has a ruined keyboard and touchpad, but it works with an external keyboard and mouse, so I did a clear install of the latest macOS, and then with Boot Camp, I installed a modified version of Windows 11 with TPM bypassed, then I was able to download and install:

1. EOS Utility 3.17.0 for the EOS R5
2. SynScan Pro App, Version 2.4.8 for the mount
3. Ascom Platform 6.6SP2
4. ASCOM Driver for SynScan App Version 1.4.0
5. N.I.N.A. Version 2.3 HF1 + Sky Atlas Image Repository + Offline Sky Map Cache
6. ASTAP + Very large database installer (D80)
7. PHD2 Guiding
8. PlateSolve2

I followed a tutorial in YouTube to install all the software and to setup N.I.N.A., first I had to start SynScan Pro App, setup the right coordinates, the COM3 connection, connect to the mount, then open N.I.N.A., after closing the EOS Utility (which runs in background), I was able to connect to the camera, and then I was able to connect to the mount, and control both, the camera and the mount, then I installed the Three Point Polar Alignment plug-in, but because I'm doing this in my free time, I'll leave the testing for tomorrow, it looks like it will work, and I think I'll use the Windows Remote Desktop once I align the mount which is my biggest burden, quite happy to have come this far.

BTW, I didn't knew that N.I.N.A. didn't had common planets in it's database, after a Google search I realized it is more focused in DSO photography, but the Three Point Polar Alignment is a life saver for people like me, without a clear view of Polaris.

Here is the tutorial I followed, in case it is useful to some novice like me here.

Again, thanks for the list and the greetings.

Patriot Astro on YouTube has some good Nina videos too with a look .

Dave
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

rodrigopolo wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:59 am and I think I'll use the Windows Remote Desktop once I align the mount which is my biggest burden, quite happy to have come this far.

BTW, I didn't knew that N.I.N.A. didn't had common planets in it's database,

Sounds like you've ticked a lot of boxes already!

Windows Remote Desktop only works with the Windows Pro version, I've got the Home version so I use Teamviewer which does a great job.

Not sure why NINA doesn't include planets but you can connect Stellerium as your planetarium and import the coordinates into the the Framing screen.

Good luck!

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

I haven’t read through the links provided but seems to me that you need to be guiding to keep your stars round. This means using a small telescope (can be very small) fixed to your set up that follows a star. Connected by cable to your star adventurer it will send messaged to the SA to make fine adjustments to keep the tracking accurate.

However not sure about the use if a Mac for all this. Many astrophotographers l know bought a windows machine just fir astrophotography because most stuff is written for windows.
Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home
rodrigopolo Guatemala
Earth Ambassador

Post by rodrigopolo »

carastro wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:20 am I haven’t read through the links provided but seems to me that you need to be guiding to keep your stars round. This means using a small telescope (can be very small) fixed to your set up that follows a star. Connected by cable to your star adventurer it will send messaged to the SA to make fine adjustments to keep the tracking accurate.

However not sure about the use if a Mac for all this. Many astrophotographers l know bought a windows machine just fir astrophotography because most stuff is written for windows.
Indeed, I saw a video tutorial from Peter Zelinka showing that (6WuBKfo_KMo), I'll do my savings to get a guider, and a mini PC, also considering the ASIAir Plus with the guider combo. (QP2Z32e5ZcI)
Graeme1858 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:43 am Sounds like you've ticked a lot of boxes already!

Windows Remote Desktop only works with the Windows Pro version, I've got the Home version so I use Teamviewer which does a great job.

Not sure why NINA doesn't include planets but you can connect Stellerium as your planetarium and import the coordinates into the the Framing screen.

Good luck!

Graeme
I just have finished the last video of the three part video tutorials titled "NINA - As EASY As 1-2-3" where at the end, showed how to use Stellarium with N.I.N.A., (fNs_hKEalsA, VDzGfMq1Rpg, mTe7ki5kqvA), N.I.N.A. is huge, so many things can be done automatically, tomorrow I'll try to connect Stellarium with N.I.N.A.

A small update on my journey… tonight I went to my backyard with the mount, the lens, the camera, the old MacBook computer with the external keyboard and mouse, a plastic table, the external power adapter for the camera and the mount, a USB hub, a huge electric cord, a power strip, the USB cords for the camera and mount, and connected everything. I did the typical ritual, level the tripod, point to mount to the geographical north, adjust the elevation, balanced the camera with the lens on the mount, turned the mount and camera on, and open N.I.N.A., started the camera, and when I tried to start the mount (telescope) but it wasn't able to connect, then I realized I had to be connected to a network in order for ASCOM to work 🤦‍♂️ so I connected to a wireless network and it worked, I got the mount connected to N.I.N.A.

Then, I followed the N.I.N.A. video tutorial for the Three Point Polar Alignment, and I got an error telling me to input my focal length, which I did, then I got an error from PlateSolve2, I didn't downloaded the APM Star Catalog, and the UCAC3 Star Catalog, so I downloaded both, installed, and got the same error 😂 I had to close N.I.N.A., open PlateSolve2, set the right paths for the catalogs, and then open N.I.N.A., now it is working, but not solving…

Just two times PlateSolve2 worked solving, but most of the time was struggling, so I switched to ASTAP, it didn't work either, I reviewed if I did the correct install procedure for ASTAP, restarted N.I.N.A. a couple of times… then my sky got filled with clouds, so a little bit frustrated, I packed everything… just to realize I didn't turn the physical lens focal length to 600mm, it was at 150mm 🤦‍♂️ I feel so dumb 😅

So tomorrow night will be the night, I'll do my check list and check everything twice, also try to connect Stellarium, now is time to rest.

Thank you all for the tips.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Rodrigo and Welcome to TSS!

Sounds like you got quite a bit accomplished on your night out. There is a bunch of things going on with AP and you got off to a good start.
In my experience, ASTAP is defiantly the way to go. I hear that it isn't very tolerant to star trailing, but you should not have too many issues as long as you keep your focal length and exposures short.

I've been at AP for only about five years and I am constantly learning new things and there are things going off course along the way constantly. Defiantly a fun and challenging hobby, but the rewards are stellar!

N.I.N.A. is amazing. Please keep us up with your progress and issues (if you have any).

Best of success!

Oh, btw, Like Graeme said, Remote Desktop only works with the Pro version of Win 11. However, if you have Pro on the server (imaging laptop), you can run the show from Windows client even if it is the Home version. Also like Graeme said, Teamviewer works great. NOTE: Win Home can be upgraded to Pro for about $20.
I just started using a mini PC and I have had great success with RD. But, I also have the mini PC configured to automatically start Teamviewer so that I can use it as a backup. A mini PC without a remote connection is worthless!!!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

Don't worry about Nina, just use Ekos (Kstars) that is at least as good if not better.

It has plate solving based 3-star polar alignment that does not require you to see Polaris.

With good polar alignment you should not need an autoguider but if you have one, Ekos will support it.

Personally, I do all my AP with Ekos running on a Raspberry Pi 4b on Raspbian Linux. It is a one-stop shop that works extremely well. Ekos supports various Unix dialects among which MacOS. It has a learning curve, of course. I can go into more detail if you have specific questions.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
rodrigopolo Guatemala
Earth Ambassador

Post by rodrigopolo »

UkDave wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:30 pm Patriot Astro on YouTube has some good Nina videos too with a look .
Dave
Thank you for the recommendation, indeed, Patriot Astro has great content, just finished watching "Setting Up Your Astro MiniPC to Control Your Telescope (End-to-End Process)" (Ta5t4dCEjNc), I learn a lot.

Graeme1858 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:43 am Not sure why NINA doesn't include planets but you can connect Stellerium as your planetarium and import the coordinates into the the Framing screen.

Good luck!

Graeme
Today I installed it and I was able to find common planets with Stellarium within N.I.N.A., I'm amazed on how complete this software is.
Juno16 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:03 pm In my experience, ASTAP is defiantly the way to go. I hear that it isn't very tolerant to star trailing, but you should not have too many issues as long as you keep your focal length and exposures short.

I've been at AP for only about five years and I am constantly learning new things and there are things going off course along the way constantly. Defiantly a fun and challenging hobby, but the rewards are stellar!

N.I.N.A. is amazing. Please keep us up with your progress and issues (if you have any).

Best of success!
When I first got the mount, I took some pictures the first chance I got a small clear view of the stars, and I though "there should be a way to know which stars I got in the picture", I google it and found Astrometry.net, I didn't knew about plate solving, now with N.I.N.A., I installed both, ASTAP and PlateSolve2, and as I told you, I messed up the focal length, but because I though it was an issue with both, I also installed "All Sky Plate Solver", and because today I got a cloudy sky, I tried to see how this plate solvers work without N.I.N.A. using the same image I took and processed in Astrometry, ASTAP interface is above me, even entering the right ascension and declination from Astrometry, PlateSolve2 was struggling also, but "All Sky Plate Solver", without any parameter, solved the plate, and even give me some extra information. I'll wait for a clear sky to try them all to see which one is faster in my case, and I see most people use ASTAP.

And because it was too cloudy… When life gives you lemons… I made a timelapse 😂 part of the quirks of living in the tropic.

SkyHiker wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:49 pm Don't worry about Nina, just use Ekos (Kstars) that is at least as good if not better.

It has plate solving based 3-star polar alignment that does not require you to see Polaris.

With good polar alignment you should not need an autoguider but if you have one, Ekos will support it.

Personally, I do all my AP with Ekos running on a Raspberry Pi 4b on Raspbian Linux. It is a one-stop shop that works extremely well. Ekos supports various Unix dialects among which MacOS. It has a learning curve, of course. I can go into more detail if you have specific questions.
I'll give it a try, building a Raspberry Pi sounds like a good idea, just watched a tutorial on that (G6hUf5L_Scw, kbvdxa_qeow), as soon as I get clear skies I'll try it.

Thank you all 🙌
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

rodrigopolo wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:12 am
When I first got the mount, I took some pictures the first chance I got a small clear view of the stars, and I though "there should be a way to know which stars I got in the picture", I google it and found Astrometry.net, I didn't knew about plate solving, now with N.I.N.A., I installed both, ASTAP and PlateSolve2, and as I told you, I messed up the focal length, but because I though it was an issue with both, I also installed "All Sky Plate Solver", and because today I got a cloudy sky, I tried to see how this plate solvers work without N.I.N.A. using the same image I took and processed in Astrometry, ASTAP interface is above me, even entering the right ascension and declination from Astrometry, PlateSolve2 was struggling also, but "All Sky Plate Solver", without any parameter, solved the plate, and even give me some extra information. I'll wait for a clear sky to try them all to see which one is faster in my case, and I see most people use ASTAP.

You will find the right plate solver for you.
I tried ASPS and used it for several years with good success. When I moved to a dedicated astronomy camera, and moved to N.I.N.A. I tried ASTAP and was blown away with it's speed. ASTAP solves in about one second.
The time saved can be used to capture more data!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/