Site Admin
Articles: 1045

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Re: Upgrade my observatory

Post by Gordon »

Geoff, you have made great progress! I'm looking forward to seeing the end result!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

Chuckles. Perhaps your comments on whether it was possible!

There's pluses and minuses for both directions. Going east gives me a window out west that wouldn't be there if the other roof was in the way.
I'll ponder some more!
Just call me Geoff....

I do what I do because I can, and because I want to.
It doesn't mean I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

That's a big job! You have made a lot of progress. I like the design. It looks like it will be very sturdy when it's done.
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

Sadly a bit of life and, more especially, weather has delayed much further progress.

I've got the support beams on the warm room roof, slight miscalculation on the ends - but it'll work out, somehow.

Rails tacked in position waiting on the roof to finalise, i.e. parallel!

Wheels came on Thursday, a bit (ok a lot) OTT on size, but I've built up the side walls to the roof. Just need a dry spell to sort out the cross beams and square everything.

Other bits and pieces dribble in, power connectors etc. New NEQ6-R Pro arrived from FLO.

At 211 mm this is the wettest month in my records of 12 years - still a few days to go and the forecast/warnings promise lots more before
November.

At least I know I'm not missing any imaging time - experts are still working on perfecting the cloud/rain filters.... :telescopewink:
Just call me Geoff....

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Altocumulus wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:00 am Other bits and pieces dribble in, power connectors etc. New NEQ6-R Pro arrived from FLO.

Nice!
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:56 am
Altocumulus wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:00 am Other bits and pieces dribble in, power connectors etc. New NEQ6-R Pro arrived from FLO.

Nice!
Indeed. Delayed by flooding somewhere - but it got here eventually.

The itch to get out and carry on is getting annoying with this weather regime.....
Just call me Geoff....

Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

Well now, time for a little update!

10 inches of rain in October certainly put the pause button on long hold!

But I'm moving along, finding mistake after mistake as the build progresses! :oops: :doh:

3 windows in, one on the north wall, so I can use a small area for art. 2 in the east wall, for daylight working. One ended up being wonky as one of the supposed verticals wasn't! All walls done.

The rolling roof is on, too long on the east end by about 20 centimetres, so there might be an opportunity for a shelf - but it's annoying. EPDM is fixed at one end, just managed that before showers arrived and I've not done the rest as I plan on doing the warm room at the same time.

Started to fix the extended part of the rails more firmly, which shows the roof needs to move eastwards a further .5 metre or so to give sight of the eastern end of the elliptic. Not too sure how I can do that at the moment - it means the current clearance of the roof would mean one scope wouldn't see the summer Sun until 10ish.

Problem to solve somehow - an extension from current length would mean another pair of vertical supports, but on spongy ground not a quick solution. Sighs.
Just call me Geoff....

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Altocumulus wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:01 pm Well now, time for a little update!

10 inches of rain in October certainly put the pause button on long hold!

But I'm moving along, finding mistake after mistake as the build progresses! :oops: :doh:

3 windows in, one on the north wall, so I can use a small area for art. 2 in the east wall, for daylight working. One ended up being wonky as one of the supposed verticals wasn't! All walls done.

The rolling roof is on, too long on the east end by about 20 centimetres, so there might be an opportunity for a shelf - but it's annoying. EPDM is fixed at one end, just managed that before showers arrived and I've not done the rest as I plan on doing the warm room at the same time.

Started to fix the extended part of the rails more firmly, which shows the roof needs to move eastwards a further .5 metre or so to give sight of the eastern end of the elliptic. Not too sure how I can do that at the moment - it means the current clearance of the roof would mean one scope wouldn't see the summer Sun until 10ish.

Problem to solve somehow - an extension from current length would mean another pair of vertical supports, but on spongy ground not a quick solution. Sighs.
Thanks for the update Geoff! Hopefully the weather will be a bit more cooperative going forward.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

Somewhat fraught at the moment.

My original (local) supplier has let me down with some extra timber. I know I originally planned on a 3.0x3.5m and it's turned out to be 2.5x4.2m, but I am still short on roofing and floor coverage.
After 10 days of waiting I cancelled, with rather unprofessional manners from them, I went with another supplier (nationwide) - and even that one's proving a little slow! Mind this last one I used for some timber after discovering they were 60% cheaper than B&Q (UK diy supplier) for the same material specs.

I could complete the roofing with what I have, but I'm worried about gluing the edpm when temperatures are as low as they are. Water-based glue needs above 5C and no frost within a few hours. The rather more stick-it-and-you-cant-move it bond may be equally as strict on temperatures (not that it says anything on the can).
I could, I suppose, place a fan heater inside and warm the roof for long enough!?

Oh, and I decided another 1.5 metres of rail was needed to help clear the SE edge. Delivery one has gone missing, so there's a replacement somewhere!

Meanwhile the weather is set to become cold for a few days, with likely snow.

At least I can take some comfort in the weather is equally bad for any serious imaging.......
Just call me Geoff....

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Nothing better than Design and Build as you go! Shopping around suppliers usually finds huge price differences!

I hope you get some >5°C weather sometime soon!

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Kind of frustrating. Supplies of wood here have been rebounding as the impact of COVID retreats. I know there were shortages in obtaining lumber a couple of years back. Hope the new distributor works out.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Wow! Despite so many frustrating challenges, it is good you keep persevering! I hope the weather clears up and you are able to get some warmer temperatures. Send us some photos when you can. Thanks for the update.
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
StarHugger United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by StarHugger »

Awesome, coming along since my last dop in here,

Best of luck with Everything, indeed.
Aaron / thestarhugger@gmail.com / Solar Kitchen Observatory / USA...

Solar Imaging Sessions 48, Solar Observing Sessions 197
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

One thing forgotten in the above. The roof doesn't clear the SE corner (still overhangs by 40cm), so a further 3 metres (cut in two) rail ordered. Problem is it's disappeared in transit - a replacement is on its way - somewhere.
Meanwhile a few photos from a couple of weeks ago to follow.
Just call me Geoff....

Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

20231105_153001.jpg
North side - showing completed wall with opening for the full height doorway.
20231030_093915.jpg
Looking inward from the NE. Roof skeleton in place with the wheels on the rail. Squared and moveable.
Just call me Geoff....

Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

20231105_153055.jpg
Inside, looking at the warm room on the western side of the shed.
20231105_153049.jpg
Wall on the south side, showing wheels (OTT sized!) 3 wheels a side. Roof sides completed and roof covered. For ease I used the floorboards instead of the large sheets of OSB. epdm stuck with water based glue on some parts - bonded elsewhere, especially vertical sides. Vile stuff the bonding glue - it sticks without opportunity to adjust.
20231105_153031.jpg
Looking in from the east wall - two acrylic windows. Horizontal window seems to not be so..... :telescopewink:
Just call me Geoff....

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

It's really coming together. I like how the South wall is lower than North for good Milky Way clearance in the summer. The windows are nice, too. Many observatories don't have any. It looks like the roof is flat, any worries about water runoff? I hope the building doesn't slide off the concrete blocks in a storm. Is it just sitting loose on concrete blocks?
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

It's loose on the blocks - but that's a heavy structure! The base alone is made of 6x2s. Real storms are a rarity here.

There's a slight drop in the roof to the south. Although the contact adhesive grabbed when the side was fixed, there's a few puckers on the top - but seems to shed water with no major problem.
Just call me Geoff....

Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Wow, that's a lot of progress. I am sure it will be a delight once it is finished and you can start observing. Pretty heavy duty structure and construction, as well.
-Michael
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

It's enough to make me want to curl up in a corner and weep.

The replacement rail hasn't yet been despatched.
The supplier of wood can't/won't deliver - no reason given other than they can't make the
original schedule.....
Just call me Geoff....