Observing Report for 19 September 2023 - now that felt good!

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 19 September 2023 - now that felt good!

Post by kt4hx »

I made a one night journey over to the dark site house by myself, and this was the first time to be there since late July. My primary task was to get the garage door opener running again. When our daughter and son-in-law stayed there a few days in late July, the opener started acting up. So before they went home, I had them shut it down and engage it so it could not be opened manually from the outside. I was told that a long wire was hanging down from the main unit, so I took my electrical lug and connector kit with me. Checking it out, I found the wire mentioned was the one connected to the close limit switch. It seemed the wire had lost its terminal connector that mated up to the switch, and come loose. But just as I was starting to install a new quick disconnect terminal connector on that wire, power went out! I checked the website for the electrical collective that services the area and sure enough, there was an outage in our area south of town. So I had to sort of sit on my hands for a couple of hours until they got it up and running again. The fun and games of home ownership!

Once power was restored I could return to the task at hand. I crimped on a new connector to the wire I found hanging. Then while I had the cover off the main unit to check connections there, I noticed that a couple of wires that were twisted together and connected to the terminal strip had come loose. Just to make a better connection I twisted them back together and crimped on a spade lug to fit under the screw on the terminal strip. At this point I notice that the two safety sensors at the floor on either side of the door now appeared normal (one with green light and the other with red). So I crossed my fingers and hit the button on the wall unit and voila! It ran as it always had before. I did open and close it a few times to make certain everything was copacetic, and it ran like a champ. So with that my main mission was accomplished, albeit a little later than I had hoped.

I also wanted to try doing a little observing as well while I was here. However, I already decided not to try and deploy the big dob (17.5 inches) as I did not wish to push my luck just yet in handling bigger and heavier loads. I am now six weeks after surgery, and that was the period they wanted me to wait before doing normal stuff. But I plan to wait until the next time we come over to use the big scope. So with that in mind, I used a hand dolly to move the 10 inch dob out of the garage to the observing position. It was much easier and lighter to work with using the dolly to move it versus moving the big scope.

My goals were modest this time out. It was more about getting out under a darker sky, and getting back in the grove of observing, star hopping and expending energy. When I went out around 2030 hours it was around 57°F (13.9°C). Cool weather has returned and I was happy to see the smoke we had endured for some months had finally abated. The forecast was for above average transparency and above average seeing as well. But when I went out, the sky was mostly cloudy, with only a few stars showing closer to the horizon. So I decided to wait for a while before calling it quits. While waiting I watched a string of Starlink satellites climbing into the sky from the west. I did not count how many there were, but I would guess around 10 to 12, give or take. It was a curious thing to see for sure and I watched them until they winked out of view. So I waited and waited, using 2200 hours as my calling it quits deadline. Then sometime around 2130 things started to improve, and I decided to put in a couple of hours, which is about all the energy I figured I had in me after the drive over and working on the garage door earlier.

So as the sky cleared, I settled down for a little observing. Like the last time at home with the 80mm, I planned to just look around the sky, revisit some old friends – many of the same objects from that outing. But also, I wanted to add in a little bit of galaxy hunting in Aquarius to see if I could pick up a handful of new ones to add to the log. So off I went into the night sky. Overall conditions were about average despite the forecast. Seeing was decent, but transparency was not what I would call “above average”. The Milky Way was very evident, but I’ve seen it much more robust. But that’s okay, as I was happy to have an opportunity to get back into some observing, even if in a more casual manner. But I sure do look forward to getting back to my hardcore galaxy hunting in the near future!

(Equipment used)

10 inch f/4.9 dob
AT 28mm UWA (44x, 1.9° TFOV, 5.8mm exit pupil)
Ethos 13mm (96x, 1.0° TFOV, 2.6mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (125x, 0.6° TFOV, 2.0mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (178x, 0.4° TFOV, 1.4mm exit pupil)
XW 5mm (250x, 0.3° TFOV, 1.0mm exit pupil)

Saturn (Aquarius, planet, mag=0.5, size=43.0”x17.0”):
The ringed planet was beautiful this evening as my first object. It revealed some delicate banding, and the Cassini division was easily seen viewing at 125x. I then concentrated on what moons I could spot, having done a rough sketch of their positions prior to coming outside. The following moons were strung out to the west of the planetary disk in order of closeness to Saturn: Mimas (mag 13.0), Tethys (mag 10.3), Titan (mag 8.4), and Iapetus (mag 11.2). Mag 9.8 Rhea was the lone moon spotted east of Saturn. Dione (mag 10.5) was north of the planet while Enceladus (mag 11.8) lay northwest of its disk. Both were dim little diamonds.

NGC 7293 (Aquarius, planetary nebula, mag=7.6, size=16.1’x12.3’, SBr=13.1):
Star hopping not quite 9° SSE from Saturn I located the field for the famous Helix Nebula. Centering the field just west of mag 5.2 Upsilon Aquarii, I moved to the eyepiece (96x). The PN swam into view as a large low surface brightness that was out of round. Without a filter it was easily seen, but ghostly in appearance and seemed evenly illuminated. Putting my Orion O-III into the light path, the nebula gained significant contrast. I could clearly discern the annulus surrounding the gauzy central region. The northern portion of the outer ring was subtly brighter to the eye, and though overall it retained a bit of a ghostly glow, it was revealing some nice subtle detail. This object was discovered in 1823 by Karl Ludwig Harding.

NGC 7341 (Aquarius, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.3, size=2.4’x1.0’, SBr=13.0):
I now wanted to add just a few new galaxies into the log while I was in Aquarius to sort of get my juices flowing a bit despite being fairly tired. I swept up this barred spiral using 96x as a very fleeting small diffuse glow. Viewing at 178x, it remained a bit of a weak elongated glow that was evenly illuminated. Even at 250x it was not particularly bright, rather weak visually, and remained homogeneous to the eye. This galaxy was first observed by Francis Leavenworth in 1885. (New)

NGC 7247 (Aquarius, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.6, size=1.4’x0.8’, SBr=12.5):
Next up was another barred spiral. Picked up using 96x, it was nonetheless quite weak as a small and dim diffuse oval. Taking a look at 178x it was more apparent, but remained a dim even oval disk. This galaxy was just about 2.5’ southeast of the double star HJ 5324 (mag 8.9 & 10.5), a pair of white stars (to my eye at least). This is another Francis Leavenworth discovery, in 1886. (New)

NGC 7665 (Aquarius, spiral galaxy, mag=13.3, size=0.7’x0.7’, SBr=12.3):
Moving onward, I located this spiral with 96x, though with a little difficulty. It presented a small and fairly dim round fuzzy disk that seemed to drift in and out as conditions shifted slightly. I also observed it at 125x to 250x, and though it was more apparent with each boost in magnification, it remained a dim homogeneous orb. This object was discovered in 1785 by William Herschel. (New)

NGC 7600 (Aquarius, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.0, size=2.5’x1.0’, SBr=12.7):
This lenticular was also first spotted using 96x, though it was small and a little dim to my eye. Its disk was oval in shape and smoothly illuminated. It was more apparent at 125x and remained homogeneous in appearance. Then at 178x, it was an easy object within the field of view. It also was now sporting an intermitted stellar core at its center. William Herschel also discovered this galaxy in 1785. (New)

NGC 7717 (Aquarius, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.4’x1.2’, SBr=13.1):
My final new galaxy of the outing was this barred lenticular, spotted using 96x. It appeared fairly dim, small and rounded in shape. I noticed a mag 13.2 field star just over an arc minute east of the galaxy’s disk. At 125x it was more noticeable, but remained a weak object that was smoothly illuminated. Finally at 178x, though still dim, it was easily apparent. It was just slightly out of round, with a very weak stellar core popping into view. This is an 1876 discovery made by Wilhelm Tempel.

There were a few other galaxies I tried and missed. I could tell things were not quite, shall we say, running smooth. I felt very tired and I felt like my mental focus was not all it could and should be. I noted there was a lot of humidity and dewing going on, which of course impacts transparency. While it was using much less aperture than typical, a 10 inch mirror is still a worthy instrument. I don’t know, I suppose I was just off my game a bit. No shame there as it happens every so often for various reasons. But I did not let that put a damper on my mood. So I changed my tactics a little and returned to some old friends, mostly the same ones I had observed about four nights before from home with the 80mm since they are easily found.

Messier 31 / NGC 224 (Andromeda, spiral galaxy, mag=3.4, size=3.2ºx1º, SBr=13.3):
Messier 32 / NGC 221 (Andromeda, elliptical galaxy, mag=8.1, size=8.5’x6.5’, SBr=12.2):
Messier 110 / NGC 205 (Andromeda, elliptical galaxy, mag=8.1, size=19.5’x11.5’, SBr=13.7):

Looking at the big square of Pegasus I easily found M31 with the naked eye just northwest of mag 3.9 Mu Andromedae. Without optical aid I could see its extended glow, and it was easily found with the scope using only the unity finder. I had put the 28mm (44x) 82° eyepiece in the focuser as I wanted to frame the M31/32/110 trio in a single field of view. This eyepiece did not disappoint, putting up a fine image of the three galaxies in a dark field, with M31 stretching across the center of the view, M31 was so extended that the eyepiece could not contain its full extent. The dark lanes of the primary galaxy were evident as was its intense core.

M32 was a very bright compact round disk south of M31’s core. It exhibited a very bright compact core within its overall envelope, which was quite diffuse. M110, northwest of M31’s core was obvious as well, but of lower surface brightness. It was significantly larger than M32 and presented an elongated oval diffuse glow that was more or less evenly illuminated. The three presented an impressive view that lifted my spirits noticeably.

I also observed them at 96x with the 13mm eyepiece. M31 was excessively bright, its core an intense burning presence. The prominent star cloud NGC 206 was easily seen southwest of the core. The dark lanes more apparent, and both M32 and M110 were very obvious within the same field of view when properly centered on the core of M31. The full visible extent of M31’s visible disk had to be split between three eyepiece fields to take it all in. M32’s core was intense set within a diffuse outer halo. M110 was more extended, and revealed some subtle broader brightness through its center. All in all they presented an inspiring view.

NGC 404 (Andromeda, lenticular galaxy, mag=10.3, size=3.5’x3.5’, SBr=12.5):
I now aimed the scope at mag 2.0 Beta Andromedae (Mirach). Almost 7’ northwest of this bright star I easily spotted this well known galaxy, it is informally known as Mirach’s Ghost due to its ghostly appearance near the star. At 48x it was a small diffuse round glow that was obvious near Mirach. Taking a look at 96x it revealed a bright non-stellar core, bright within its larger fuzzy halo. At 178x it was very bright and slightly large visually, with its strong core dominating the disk. I have always had an affinity for DSOs that lurk near brighter stars for the contrasting appearance and at times difficulty in picking up the object in a star’s glare field.

Messier 33 / NGC 598 (Triangulum, spiral galaxy, mag=5.7, size=66.0’x41.41.6’, SBr=14.1):
I next aimed the scope about a third of the way from mag 3.4 Alpha Trianguli (Metallah) to Mirach. With the 8x50 RACI finder I easily spotted this galaxy. Moving to the eyepiece at 96x, it presented a large diaphanous thick oval disk. Despite its lower surface brightness the galactic disk was very obvious. It revealed very delicate spiral structure and its appearance was uneven due to the transitions between light and dark associated with its spiral arms. The core was subtly brighter, and the bright HII region, NGC 604 was clearly evident in the northeastern portion of the galactic disk.

Jupiter (Aries, planet, mag=-2.8, size=46.0”):
The gas giant Jupiter was gaining elevation so I stopped by briefly. The main equatorial bands were prominent, and some subtle shading of lesser bands was seen elusively at 125x. The Galilean moons were all accounted for, with Io (mag 4.9) close to the planet to its ENE. Mag 4.6 Ganymede was further out to the ENE while mag 5.6 Callisto was just a bit further in the same direction. Mag 5.2 Europa laid a ways off to the WSW of Jupiter.

NGC 869 (Perseus, open cluster, mag=5.3, size=30.0’, class=I3r):
NGC 884 (Perseus, open cluster, mag=6.1, size=30.0’, class=I3r):

The famous Double Cluster was bright to the naked eye, and the scope was easily aimed at it with the unity finder. Viewed only with 44x, the duo was well framed as a dizzying array of stars set against a black backdrop. The overall field was a stellar funfest, with stars all across the field. The clusters themselves both exhibited bright concentrations at their respective centers, with lines and arcs of stars going in all directions. While it was easy to discern them as two distinct objects, visually they seemed to overlap as the lines and curves of stars extended toward one another. This duo always provides an inspiring view.

Messier 57 / NGC 6720 (Lyra, planetary nebula, mag=8.8, size=3.0’x2.4’, SBr=10.7):
My final object for the night was, as last time, the heaving observed Ring Nebula in the celestial lyre. Aiming the scope at mag 3.2 Beta Lyrae (Sheliak), I easily scooped up this PN using 96x. The annular appearance was very obvious, with its outer ring being very bright, while its central “hole” had a pale gauzy look to it. The outer ring seemed slightly dimmer at the ends of the major axis.

By this time it was approaching 2330 hours and I noted the temperature had cooled a little more to 49°F (9.3°C). Also, my dew heater power supply had run out of juice (I forgot to recharge it earlier), so my finders were starting to dew up on me. I was chilled, I was tired, and I was done! So I moved my stuff back into the garage through our now working garage door (yay!) and headed inside to have a snack and then some much wanted and needed rest.

As a shout out to Andrey's (Bigzmey) last report, he reached the outstanding plateau of 3,000 DSOs observed. Being a staunchly dedicated galaxy hunter, over 2,000 of those are galaxies, which is not much of a surprise to myself. While he and I are not about the numbers as a major motivator, as I mentioned in my comments to him in that thread, it is still a good measure to ourselves as to where we are in our observing careers. It is a gauge of how far we have progressed in our observing ability and dedication to pursuing the treasures of the universe. For myself, my goal this year is to finally reach my 5,000th DSO (I am currently at 4,908), with almost 3,500 being galaxies (again no surprise there!). As Andrey stated, this year has been a bit of a mixed bag. Whether it be weather, smoke, or in my case surgery, things have been a bit bumpy. But it seems all that is settling down. So I, and I know Andrey (and others), are looking forward to some fine observing for the remainder of the year - fingers crossed! :icon-smile:

I appreciate you tagging along with me as I had my first real dark sky session in a while. Next time I will be back with the 17.5 inch and back into my typical serious galaxy hunting ways. I consider this a warm up for my return to normalcy, and am thankful for the opportunity. Keep looking up friends and I will indeed see you back out there.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: Observing Report for 19 September 2023 - now that felt good!

Post by Graeme1858 »

Good to see you out there Alan, even adding new galaxies to your observing list!

Don't rush too fast to get the 17" out until you're ready.

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great effort, Alan! I thoroughly enjoy and appreciate the time and effort you put in your descriptions! Always a great read over morning coffee (or two)!

Five thousand objects is quite an achievement. I'm certain you'll get there. But get well first!!

Dave

Note: Certainly VROD worthy!
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:26 am Good to see you out there Alan, even adding new galaxies to your observing list!

Don't rush too fast to get the 17" out until you're ready.

Graeme

Thank you Graeme, and it was certainly fun to get back into galaxy hunting even in a small way.

No rush at all. It will still be a little bit before I can get back over there. Fortunately the big one has wheelbarrow handles which makes moving it a lot easier. I am doing well and have been doing some more work around the house, which while tiring, felt good for its sense of normalcy.

Unitron48 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:34 pm Great effort, Alan! I thoroughly enjoy and appreciate the time and effort you put in your descriptions! Always a great read over morning coffee (or two)!

Five thousand objects is quite an achievement. I'm certain you'll get there. But get well first!!

Dave

Note: Certainly VROD worthy!

Thank you Dave. Glad I could get a second cup of coffee in! :icon-smile:

I am doing good and when I can get back over there, I will be ready to roll out the big 'un! Having wheelbarrow handles is the key there for sure. Makes moving it in and out of the garage much easier.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Congratulations Alan on attaining, as nominated, today's VROD! Nice session with the 10" Dob, hopefully as your health continues to improve you can observe more frequently with even your larger aperture scope.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A nice read Alan, good that you had the opportunity.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

the pleasure I have in reading the well-written reports informs me enormously about the sky and its wonders, thx.
ps: congratulations on your well-deserved vrod.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

messier 111 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:16 pm the pleasure I have in reading the well-written reports informs me enormously about the sky and its wonders, thx.
ps: congratulations on your well-deserved vrod.

Thank you Jean-Yves. Your kind remarks are always appreciated my friend.
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:17 pm Congratulations Alan on attaining, as nominated, today's VROD! Nice session with the 10" Dob, hopefully as your health continues to improve you can observe more frequently with even your larger aperture scope.

Thank you Michael. Things are looking up (me included :icon-smile: ) so I anticipate I will be using the big one from here on out at the dark site house.

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:35 pm A nice read Alan, good that you had the opportunity.

Thank you Gabrielle. Things are moving along and returning to normal - for which I am most pleased! :icon-smile:
Alan

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Excellent! Glad that you managed a nice session and logged a few new ones, Alan. Stepping to 10" was a smart move. Giving your body plenty of time to heel will pay off later. As you say observing milestones are not the goal and we are not in the race. :) They are points of reflection in our journey across wonderful skies.

Still I would not mind having a nice crisp clear autumn. :D The first half of the year was really slow and things only started to pick by the end of summer.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:26 pm Excellent! Glad that you managed a nice session and logged a few new ones, Alan. Stepping to 10" was a smart move. Giving your body plenty of time to heel will pay off later. As you say observing milestones are not the goal and we are not in the race. :) They are points of reflection in our journey across wonderful skies.

Still I would not mind having a nice crisp clear autumn. :D The first half of the year was really slow and things only started to pick by the end of summer.

Thank you Andrey. The numbers are truly not important. But they are certainly a tool for self reflection as you point out, and having a better understanding of our personal progress. One can set observing goals and work toward them. While doing those things will not buy your lunch, it can certainly give one a sense of personal achievement and satisfaction in a hobby that is very important to us.

I truly hope you have a good autumn for observing, and everyone else as well. I am really looking forward to being more active that is for sure, and working my way through the unending supply of galaxies up there! :icon-smile:
Alan

jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

It's good to hear of this report of your "reunion" with the night sky. We can feel the excitement between every line of print.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

jrkirkham wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:57 am It's good to hear of this report of your "reunion" with the night sky. We can feel the excitement between every line of print.

Thank you Rob. Being under the night sky is indeed part of the process of getting things back to normal for me.
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Very nice report, I enjoyed reading it. Thanks!
Good to have you back under the skies!
Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:56 pm Very nice report, I enjoyed reading it. Thanks!
Good to have you back under the skies!
Congratulations on the VROD!

Thank you John. It was indeed a pleasure to get out as I ramp up to full bore galaxy hunting. Next time out will be normal with the big scope and my favorite pastime - digging deep! :icon-smile:
Alan

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

That was a great read Alan, both last night and tonight (wakefulness factor), glad you could once again get out. Wow, 4908 DSO's total and fixing the garage door as well! I too hope you reach 5000 this year. Your descriptions and history of it all are a joy to read.
Congrats on the VROD and a good night with your 10", and hope your health keeps improving :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Thefatkitty wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:48 am That was a great read Alan, both last night and tonight (wakefulness factor), glad you could once again get out. Wow, 4908 DSO's total and fixing the garage door as well! I too hope you reach 5000 this year. Your descriptions and history of it all are a joy to read.
Congrats on the VROD and a good night with your 10", and hope your health keeps improving :D

All the best,

Thank you Mark, your kind comments are always appreciated. Funny thing though, my number is actually 4915. I was working on an observing list of Pegasus galaxies up to mag 14.7 in Telescopius, and when comparing that to my notes and log, I found that I had some observations that I did not enter into the log spreadsheet. So that was a nice surprise! :lol:
Alan