Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Gate Crashing the OAS Deep Sky Camp.

Post by Graeme1858 »

This weekend I was very fortunate to gat an invite to the Orpington Astronomical Society Deep Sky Camp arranged by @carastro. I made my way to the Cairds Camp Site near the beautiful village of Ticehurst in East Sussex on Friday afternoon and unpacked my never before erected tent. It looked really easy to put up in the advert and it looked plenty big enough in the advert, but it was neither! With Carole's help we got there in the end though! Then I started a list of things I forgot, things to bring next time with item 1, a rubber mallet to bang in tent pegs! This was the first of what grew into more than a dozen items!

The campsite location is perfect for a star party sitting as it does in a Bortle 4 location with good altitude views all round and partly horizon views. The view to the East was stunning and went on for miles.

As my CGX has been messing about lately I decided not to upset it further and instead to take my OSC ASI294MC Pro camera with a Canon 18mm-55mm lens on the front and use this combination mounted on a fixed tripod. My intention was to capture some Summer Triangle 30 second images of the Milky Way and see how they stacked. And I had an idea of trying to capture some North of Sagittarius Milky Way southern horizon nightscape image action as soon as we had some Nautical Dusk because an ISS pass was forecast. And I fancied doing some North facing star trails. Yeah, I know most people start their AP journey by capturing Polaris centred star trails using a fixed camera on a tripod! But I have never got round to trying this art form! I also took my 11x70 Binoculars, they don't get out enough and this was a perfect opportunity.

The sky was clear and blue at dusk and we were all hopeful for some good imaging and viewing sessions. So I set up my camera and tripod, I put the laptop on my camping table and connected everything up. Vega was first to appear followed by Deneb in the time honoured fashion. I pointed my camera South using the trees to show a level orientation and focus whilst waiting for more stars to appear. As darkness fell I focused on the stars and captured my first images. I forgot about the ISS! Then I turned the tripod around to point at Polaris and after a few trials (trail trials?!) I set up a sequence loop to capture 30 minute exposures.

While the camera was busy Astronomical Dark had started and the beauty of the night sky, not seen at home, fully revealed itself! It was brilliant and will stay with me for a long time! Naked eye Milky Way was so plain to see. Smaller constellations that can't be seen at home in clear view. A definite wow moment! I spent some time with the binoculars studying M31, M13 and others, they don't look this good at home!

I had a look at what the others were doing; Carol was set up with a dual rig waiting for the Taurus molecular cloud to rise. My new astronomy friend Rodger was capturing the Iris Nebula and Barnard 145. My new astronomy friend Simon was pointing his rig at Cepheus. And my new astronomy friend Mark was capturing the Flying Bat through his Tak Epsilon. All were so pleased to be doing the hobby in such great conditions and I was beginning to regret not bringing my CGX and SCT.

A good night was had by all. The tent was supposed to be a 3 man size but there was barley room to sit up and getting in an out was tricky to say the least! The self inflating air bed turned out to be self deflating! But I managed to get some sleep! In the morning I had a well arty breakfast in Ticehurst in a well arty coffee shop. During the day we chatted, did laptop stuff and checked out each others telescope setups. It was a relaxing day just being in the country side.

The evening was cloudy and didn't look promising but as darkness fell gaps opened in the clouds. We saw the ISS sweep over from West to South East and then fade away. I pointed my lens straight up and adjusted the tripod until Cygnus and Lyra were in view. I left the camera collecting photons for 30 seconds in a loop for an hour. At the end of the hour Lyra had moved to the edge of the view and the clouds that had sat in the top right had moved in to cover most of the screen.

I got 99 semi usable x 30 second subs and blinked them last night to take out the passing clouds and narrowed it down to 43 subs. I already had some 30 second darks. Here's the result:

Summer Triangle.jpg

Not a great image, in the subs there was a faint hint of pink where the North America Nebula is, I seem to have processed out the colour! But the shape and the Pelican's eyes are still there. Very pleased to have captured this part of the Milky Way.

If you ever thought of going to a star party but never did, then go, you won't regret it! Right, I'm off to process my star trails!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Gate Crashing the OAS Deep Sky Camp.

Post by kt4hx »

An outstanding report Graeme! The trials and tribulations of camping is clearly overshadowed by what the sky revealed to you in a country setting, making wonderful memories. And I dare say, plans to do a repeat when the opportunity arises. Nicely written and a nice image of the Milky Way overhead. Excellent my friend.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Thanks Alan.

Wonderful memories indeed!

Graeme

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador
Articles: 0

Post by Lady Fraktor »

It sounds like you had a good time Graeme.
Star parties can be a lot of fun and you get to meet some nice people as well.

Rule 1 of star party attendance: get all of your kit together at least a week in advance so you can look it over.
This way you do not forget things and there are no surprises. :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
StarHugger United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by StarHugger »

Sounds an awesome outing indeed, and with some good fun and astroing around too...

The Milky Way is a wonderous sight overhead this time of year.
Aaron / thestarhugger@gmail.com / Solar Kitchen Observatory / USA...

Solar Imaging Sessions 48, Solar Observing Sessions 197
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:10 pm It sounds like you had a good time Graeme.
Star parties can be a lot of fun and you get to meet some nice people as well.

Rule 1 of star party attendance: get all of your kit together at least a week in advance so you can look it over.
This way you do not forget things and there are no surprises. :)

Thanks Gabrielle

A good time was certainly had. The magic of a proper dark sky is a wonder to behold!

I had my tent for a couple of months before the day, I just didn't get it out of the pack! I'm (was) an engineer, that's how we role! 😁

My inventory for the next trip will be compiled from my list of things I forgot this time and will be quite robust!

Graeme

StarHugger wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:22 pm Sounds an awesome outing indeed, and with some good fun and astroing around too...

The Milky Way is a wonderous sight overhead this time of year.

It's a wow in a Bortle 4!

Graeme

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Excellent! Nothing beats camping under dark skies in a beautiful countryside surroundings. And seeing majestic Milky Way and other dark sky treasures is always a revelation. Heck you can do a decent DSO session just with naked eye!

I got hooked after my first astro-camping trip seven years ago and can't stop now. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Loved your report and the image!
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

It was great to meet you Graeme and thanks so much for the help you gave me packing up my camping observatory and astro kit. Must have saved me over an hour.

I always keep a list on my PC of things to take and print it off before each camp.

It was a shame you missed Thursday night which was gloriously clear the whole night.

Hope to see you at the next one with a list of things to remember to being next time. Ha Ha!!

Make sure to bring a box or something to protect your laptop from dew.

Carole
Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

That sounds like an absolutely great time Graeme!

I hope to make it to a star party someday. I was hoping to get to one about 2.5 hours drive this November, but the month is filling up and I still haven't gotten around to rigging up portable power.

With all of the excitement and cramped sleeping arrangements, I a surprised that you slept at all!

Thanks for the great report!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

carastro wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:07 pm It was great to meet you Graeme and thanks so much for the help you gave me packing up my camping observatory and astro kit. Must have saved me over an hour.

I always keep a list on my PC of things to take and print it off before each camp.

It was a shame you missed Thursday night which was gloriously clear the whole night.

Hope to see you at the next one with a list of things to remember to being next time. Ha Ha!!

Make sure to bring a box or something to protect your laptop from dew.

Carole

Thanks Carole, it was good meeting yourself and your OAS friends too. And I look forward to doing it all again in the Spring, with the CGX this time!

Graeme

Juno16 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:51 am That sounds like an absolutely great time Graeme!

I hope to make it to a star party someday. I was hoping to get to one about 2.5 hours drive this November, but the month is filling up and I still haven't gotten around to rigging up portable power.

With all of the excitement and cramped sleeping arrangements, I a surprised that you slept at all!

Thanks for the great report!

Thanks Jim

It was a great time indeed!

You really should do it in November, a dark sky is something else! I look forward to reading your report!

Graeme

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Wow, great report Graeme that knocks your socks off. You've learned a remarkable lesson about camping - don't trust the manufacturers information on camping stuff, in particular tents and sleeping bags! My last trip to Mt. Lassen in August of 2021 was not only pretty much smoked out but my new sleeping bag, supposedly large - was completely too small. That was a rather uncomfortable night.

Anyway glad that you could get some images and just behold the heavens at Bortle 4. The difference between home and rural locations is pretty much incredible. I'd say your report is certainly VROD-worthy as you saw some good stuff and got to enjoy dark skies with friends!!!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Thanks Michael, that's brilliant!

"and just behold the heavens at Bortle 4" Yeah! That's what it's all about!

Regards

Graeme

jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

Thank you for the outstanding report. :shock:
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Bigzmey wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:12 pm Excellent! Nothing beats camping under dark skies in a beautiful countryside surroundings. And seeing majestic Milky Way and other dark sky treasures is always a revelation. Heck you can do a decent DSO session just with naked eye!
Absolutely! My most memorable sessions have been while camping or staying at dark sky VRBOs.
I use a 5-pound sledge to drive tent stakes though. Not much will stop that puppy. :lol:
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

pakarinen wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:53 pm I use a 5-pound sledge to drive tent stakes though. Not much will stop that puppy. :lol:

Good tip!

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

I loved reading this report, full of anecdotes and a very pretty photo, congrat on the vrod very well deserved, thx.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
ApophisAstros Great Britain
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by ApophisAstros »

Thanks Graeme for spreading the word about our great few days at Cairds , was a fun time and how nice to meet new and old friends , my days in tents where very few after various bad experiences and finally nearly blowing away with me in it at windy Kelling , that was the last straw. No more alfresco more B&B or Glamping for me , but that shower at Cairds was iffy either vesuvious hot or arctic cold.
Image Image
Result from Cairds , have to finalise it still.

Roger
RedCat51,Atik460EX,Altair Astro Ed66 r,Atik One 6.0,EQ6-R,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.
******* PROCESSING AN IMAGE IS LIKE OPENING A CHRISTMAS PRESENT YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO GET BUT USUALLY ARE OVER THE MOON********
https://www.astrobin.com/users/apophis/collections/
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

ApophisAstros wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:42 pm Thanks Graeme for spreading the word about our great few days at Cairds , was a fun time and how nice to meet new and old friends ,

A fun time indeed!

That's a lovely Iris that you captured, there's a lot of dust around that thing!

Graeme

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

messier 111 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:53 pm I loved reading this report, full of anecdotes and a very pretty photo, congrat on the vrod very well deserved, thx.

Thanks Jean-Yves

And one last anecdote I forgot was the Belt of Venus. I've heard of it, I've read about it, but I've never seen it. As the Sun set in the West our low view Eastern aspect had a pinkish band along the horizon which rose above the darker arc of the Earth's shadow, then faded. It was quite a thing to see!

Graeme