Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Can't align

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Hi there

I can't seem to align my mount i have put day light savings YES date and time correct but still keeps pointing way out and says 45 degrees out check your location on hand set, does anybody have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Rhoda
Eqm35 Skywatcher mount..Skywatcher 80 ed telescope, 71 W/O GT ...bunch of eye pieces 25,mm 32mm etc...Nexter 4,se...385 mc Zwo camera, Zwo 183 colour cooled pro camera... Orion 80 ed...two compass...
Sky fi wireless telescope controller.. Rebel t3i.. light pollution L XTREME, Idas light pollution filter and Antlia 3nm gold, Antlia h alpha filter filter..other filters .. pixinsight .. startools..

:observatory: NONE :observatory:
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Can't align

Post by OzEclipse »

Hi Rhoda,
Has it worked previously and just stopped working now? Or is this the first time you're using it?
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

Hi, Rhoda. You haven't given us enough details. For most mounts, the sequence is:

1. Set up, roughly polar aligned.
2. Perform an accurate polar alignment, using your preferred technique.
3. Manually set the mount in Home position. The more accurate, the better.
4. Turn power off. Then turn it back on. (This tells the mount that it is in home position.)
5. Check date/time/location parameters:
- a. Date (watch out for possible American format dates)
- b. Time (watch out for am/pm/24-hour formats)
- c. Time zone (UTC / GMT is 0. West of UTC is -. East of UTC is +)
- d. Daylight Saving Time (yes or no)
- e. Latitude (North is +, South is -)
- f. Longitude (West is -, east is +, or use E or W if that's what the mount prefers)
6. Perform goto alignment, 1-star, 2-star or 3-star, depending on the mount and your preference.

Without watching over your shoulder, it is hard to know if you are missing any steps. If you can find an astronomy group near you, the best thing is to have someone experienced watch you set up. They will be able to coach you through any problem steps.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Well you must of done it before as you have posted some great photos so I assume is a current problem , if same mount , then perhaps the firmware got corrupt , if so then download new
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mirrorgirl »

OzEclipse wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:35 pm Hi Rhoda,
Has it worked previously and just stopped working now? Or is this the first time you're using it?
Joe
No its not the first time i have used it it has worked previously but stopped working.

Thanks
Rhoda
Eqm35 Skywatcher mount..Skywatcher 80 ed telescope, 71 W/O GT ...bunch of eye pieces 25,mm 32mm etc...Nexter 4,se...385 mc Zwo camera, Zwo 183 colour cooled pro camera... Orion 80 ed...two compass...
Sky fi wireless telescope controller.. Rebel t3i.. light pollution L XTREME, Idas light pollution filter and Antlia 3nm gold, Antlia h alpha filter filter..other filters .. pixinsight .. startools..

Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Richard wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:59 pm Well you must of done it before as you have posted some great photos so I assume is a current problem , if same mount , then perhaps the firmware got corrupt , if so then download new
Hi

Its been like this for a while i have just been star hopping

Thanks

Rhoda

Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mirrorgirl »

KathyNS wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:54 pm Hi, Rhoda. You haven't given us enough details. For most mounts, the sequence is:

4. Turn power off. Then turn it back on. (This tells the mount that it is in home position.)
- f. Longitude (West is -, east is +, or use E or W if that's what the mount prefers)
6. Perform goto alignment, 1-star, 2-star or 3-star, depending on the mount and your preference.

Without watching over your shoulder, it is hard to know if you are missing any steps. If you can find an astronomy group near you, the best thing is to have someone experienced watch you set up. They will be able to coach you through any problem steps.
Hi Kathy

perfect polar alignment

Date and time in American

Time zone 0

latitude and longitude correct

Daylight saving YES if this is correct

3 star alignment which fails because way off

Hope this helps Kathy

Thanks

Rhoda

Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Richard wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:59 pm Well you must of done it before as you have posted some great photos so I assume is a current problem , if same mount , then perhaps the firmware got corrupt , if so then download new
Hi there

The reason i have been doing images is because i have been finding easy targets myself by doing polar alignment putting in date and time etc and then performing a one star alignment which is way of but then it starts to track and then i find the easy targets myself that's the only way i can do it.

Thanks

Rhoda

Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mirrorgirl »

KathyNS wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:54 pm Hi, Rhoda. You haven't given us enough details. For most mounts, the sequence is:

Here the images of what I put in
F958AB5C-85DA-4C01-8B20-ABF0A9EDCBF2.jpeg
DAF2D187-4ECB-492B-B31B-BAC934B926AB.jpeg
2B9254E9-66BB-4951-ABE8-E872923F178A.jpeg
8B1DDC61-6544-4540-84B2-CB29F4DD5AF9.jpeg
7ECE4904-851B-4197-8EFF-6CB2B657F5A0.jpeg
B5CB1EC7-9AD9-4F19-95BA-03599F80F1A7.jpeg
53106B49-45F2-4EF0-A7C9-564BC3612330.jpeg
4B0FE02F-02F8-4C40-A61C-B7D40ACE3308.jpeg
FACBFA17-C899-428F-82A2-DC8AD0D1F3B7.jpeg
Thanks

Kathy

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

That looks good so far. But you haven't mentioned step 3: Home position. That is the most common reason for alignment failure. ANy errors in the home position will show up in the goto alignment.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mirrorgirl »

KathyNS wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:36 pm That looks good so far. But you haven't mentioned step 3: Home position. That is the most common reason for alignment failure. ANy errors in the home position will show up in the goto alignment.
Do you mean i have to turn the mount on and off when put in home position, i don't do that do you think that's why I'm failing

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

Mirrorgirl wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:39 pm
KathyNS wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:36 pm That looks good so far. But you haven't mentioned step 3: Home position. That is the most common reason for alignment failure. ANy errors in the home position will show up in the goto alignment.
Do you mean i have to turn the mount on and off when put in home position, i don't do that do you think that's why I'm failing
I would guess that's it. Unless the mount has absolute encoders, which I don't think yours does, it has no knowledge of the position of the axes. It assumes that, when you turn it on, it is in the home position. It can tell how far it has moved, but unless it knows where it started, it cannot figure out where it is now.

If it wasn't in the home position at power-up, or if you have loosened the clutches since turning it on, then it still thinks it is in the home position even though it isn't. You could easily have a large error when slewing to your first alignment star. The error will get smaller as you align, but could still be significant.
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Rhoda

Lot's of good procedural advice provided already below while I was sleeping. Can't add anything there.

The other thing to check is if one pin on any of the multipin connectors is bent or damaged or if a track is stripped. If that damaged pin is coming from one of the encoders that could be causing the problem.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Just to add, even with Skywatcher mounts, make sure your final alignment motion to the alignment star is UP and RIGHT.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mirrorgirl »

JayTee wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:36 pm Just to add, even with Skywatcher mounts, make sure your final alignment motion to the alignment star is UP and RIGHT.
i have sorted it now my handset just needed resetting something as simple as that lol. :icon-smile:

Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mirrorgirl »

KathyNS wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:51 pm
Mirrorgirl wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:39 pm
I would guess that's it. Unless the mount has absolute encoders, which I don't think yours does, it has no knowledge of the position of the axes. It assumes that, when you turn it on, it is in the home position. It can tell how far it has moved, but unless it knows where it started, it cannot figure out where it is now.

If it wasn't in the home position at power-up, or if you have loosened the clutches since turning it on, then it still thinks it is in the home position even though it isn't. You could easily have a large error when slewing to your first alignment star. The error will get smaller as you align, but could still be significant.
I have fixed it now Kathy i just needed to reset the handset :icon-smile: :doh:

Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Hi there.

Just thought i would let you know i did a reset on my handset and that fixed the problem, and guess what i went out and brought a new one just before the reset it cost me 139 pounds I'll just keep it as a spare lol :doh:

Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Glad you came wright , when these things go wrong it also drives me mad
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Richard wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:47 pm Glad you came wright , when these things go wrong it also drives me mad
LOL YEAH ME TOO