Post your solar system images here.
Aratus Great Britain
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Saturn

Post by Aratus »

2023 - 09 - 05 at 2207 UT

A hazy evening doesn't sound like the best conditions for taking photos of a planet like Saturn, but if you can cope with the reduced light level it can produce good seeing. These are the conditions I had on 5th September. Saturn is still pretty low down in the murk (20 degrees), but it is getting better each year. It was around opposition, so it is more less face on. (No significant shadows on the rings) I took a dozen sets of 2000 images, and chose the best 300 images in each set to stack. I then stacked the 12 stacked images. This is cheating of course, since the rotation of the planet will smear any fine detail, but I was sure there wasn't any such detail. It is worth it to get a less grainy image. You couldn't get away with it with Mars or Jupiter, of course.

Celestron CPC 11" Using Canon 500D with 'Backyard EOS'. Stacked with 'Registax'.

The cooler, blue hemisphere contrasts nicely with the other, brown hemisphere. The Cassini Division is a bit messy on the image, probably due to some excessive wavelet sharpening on the original stacked images.

It is worth considering that the rings are rapidly tilting towards us, and will be edge on in less than 2 years. Observe those rings while you can!
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: Saturn

Post by Graeme1858 »

Hello Aratus

Great to see you here and I hope you're well.

Your 12 x 300 stack strategy works well. That's a fine image of Saturn.

I tried and failed from 51°N because of Saturn's elevation. So yours is an impressive capture from your location.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Aratus Great Britain
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Aratus »

Graeme1858 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:35 pm Hello Aratus

Great to see you here and I hope you're well.

Your 12 x 300 stack strategy works well. That's a fine image of Saturn.

I tried and failed from 51°N because of Saturn's elevation. So yours is an impressive capture from your location.

Regards

Graeme
It's good to be back. I'm feeling a lot better now, and ready to enjoy the hobby again. I had to wait a while for Saturn to emerge from behind a tree, so the low altitude is giving me a few problems too. ( I used the time to tweak the focusing. I'm using a new home-made motor focussing system which utilises a 'up/down' switch from a car window. It seemed to work quite well. ) Normally I wouldn't expect very good results from 20 degrees altitude, but on this occasion that slight haze really steadied the seeing. I forgot to mention in the initial post that I used a x2 barlow lens. :oops: All these things contributed to rather dim looking frames. I used a high ISO setting to brighten it up again, but of course that adds 'grain' to the frames. I guess the relatively large number of frames smoothed that out quite a bit. I hope you manage to bag Saturn at some point.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice capture!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257