Polaris as alignment star?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

Polaris as alignment star?

Post by gregl »

On this thread https://theskysearchers.com/viewtopic.php?t=31820, in post #16, AstroBee says not to use Polaris as an alignment star. But on another forum there is a thread where many folks do use it with success. It looks like the difference is that for some reason Mead scopes aren’t set up for that, and you wouldn’t want to do that with an eq mount. But many folks have said that Celestron altaz mounts do work fine with Polaris as one of the alignment stars.

So the question is: Is there a reason a Celestron altaz mount should not use Polaris, and if not, why not. I’m not challenging anyone; just trying to learn. THANKS!
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: Polaris as alignment star?

Post by Graeme1858 »

My Celestron CGX mount is an Equatorial mount, not an altaz mount so I can't answer your question directly but I can open the debate and tell you why I wouldn't use Polaris on a CGX.

When you first switch the mount on it slews to the Home Position, which is the North Celestial Pole and stops on the switches in the RA and Dec axes. The accuracy of the position is a function of the accuracy of the Polar Alignment. So the mount already knows where Polaris is because the Location, Date and Time have already been entered. Then if you were to do a two star Alignment, say Schedar and Altair, to the East, the mount now has three points of reference. It then asks if you want to add additional calibration stars, to the West.

So using Polaris as an alignment star would be pointless (I'm sure there's a pun there somewhere!) because it is already included in the Pointing Model. I can't remember for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if Polaris was not on the list of stars listed as alignment star candidates on the Hand Controller.

I would agree with Greg, if you use Polaris, then you're doing a one star alignment.

My 2p.

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Here is a .PDF file mentioning a polar alignment by iterating on one star and Polaris, but it also mentions it cannot be used on a telescope that has been initialized on two stars in order to compensate for polar alignment errors such as the Celestron NextStar!

I remember years ago following a similar method from an alignment tip on Weazner's Mighty ETX site to align my ETX-90 with good results, but I cannot find the exact method at this time. If I run across it, I will post it here. I must mention, as also mentioned within the link below, that the Meade LX200 and the Meade ETX has a one star alignment method.

[Polar Alignment by Iterating on One Star and Polaris https://www.covingtoninnovations.com/as ... rating.pdf]
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

gregl wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:54 am So the question is: Is there a reason a Celestron altaz mount should not use Polaris, and if not, why not. I’m not challenging anyone; just trying to learn. THANKS!
The key is that you are referring to an alt-az mount. There is no reason at all not to use Polaris as an alignment star for an alt-az mount, though you will need other star(s) as well.

On the other hand, you should not use it for the goto alignment of an EQ mount, because it will give the targeting software absolutely no useful information.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

I've only ever used EQ mounts and always understood that Polaris should not be used. So maybe I wrongly assumed the same was true for ALT AZ mounts.
I still don't think even with an Alt Az mount that it should be used. When the mount is first initialized and goes to the "home" position, isn't it pointing towards Polaris in this position? Correct me if I'm wrong again, please.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

AstroBee wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:49 pm I've only ever used EQ mounts and always understood that Polaris should not be used. So maybe I wrongly assumed the same was true for ALT AZ mounts.
I still don't think even with an Alt Az mount that it should be used. When the mount is first initialized and goes to the "home" position, isn't it pointing towards Polaris in this position? Correct me if I'm wrong again, please.
An alt-az mount has no knowledge of its orientation until you start to align it, unlike an EQ mount which can assume it is polar aligned. It can only point towards Polaris after you tell it what direction that is. And, depending on the mount's firmware, the best way to do that may well be to use Polaris as an alignment star.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

AstroBee wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:49 pm I've only ever used EQ mounts and always understood that Polaris should not be used. So maybe I wrongly assumed the same was true for ALT AZ mounts.
On my Alt-Az SE, (old firmware) it doesn't home or initialize, it literally just goes Duh 😆

I have used Polaris along with a southern star and I get good results.

Of course we must keep in mind; Polaris is that star behind the tree lol
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

Thank you all for your comments. After reading the above and thinking about this, it seems that the answer is that it depends on the mount. In the case of an eq mount, even a manual one has some sort of beginning orientation. And a computerized one would have a better idea after the time, date, and location were entered into the software. I can also imagine that some alt-az mounts with GPS could have a fairly decent orientation.

But considering the Celestron SE mount, there is no GPS and no “home position.” The only data it has is what you enter. There is no way for it to orient itself to anything at all without user input. You begin with the date, time, and location. So at this point it knows where it is on the planet and where the celestial objects are going to be in relation to that data.

But it has no info as to the orientation of the mount. In fact, the alt mechanism includes a slip clutch, so even if you were to somehow preserve a previous alignment, there is a possibility that the alt could have been moved during setup or take-down. (And mine most definitely is.) And the az orientation could be anything depending on how you set the tripod and attach the mount and, once again, the software has no info about this.

So it would seem to me that aligning on Polaris orients the mount to the alt and az of one star. Then the second star provides two more pieces of data, and you thus have a two-star alignment.

So I think Kathy is correct in this case. Yes?
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Kathy wrote: "An alt-az mount has no knowledge of its orientation until you start to align it, unlike an EQ mount which can assume it is polar aligned. It can only point towards Polaris after you tell it what direction that is. And, depending on the mount's firmware, the best way to do that may well be to use Polaris as an alignment star."

Words of wisdom! Kathy is right on target with this answer. I vaguely remember using Polaris to help with my alignment using my ETX-90 in alt/az mode years ago, and I recall having a good alignment as mentioned earlier.
:icon-smile:
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

As usual, Kathy is spot on.

I have 4 Celestron mounts. 3 of them (CPC, SLT, GT) are Alt-Az. Not one of them has a clue where they are pointing when power is first applied because there is no "Home" position. The only thing that matters in a goto alignment on Celestron Alt-Az mounts is that the stars are sufficiently spaced far apart in the sky. So go ahead and use Polaris as an alignment star (if the HC lists it) just don't use Kochab as your next alignment star!
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

JayTee wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:13 am So go ahead and use Polaris as an alignment star (if the HC lists it) just don't use Kochab as your next alignment star!
:lol:

And I think the best alignment would include something that is not only significantly away on the azmuth, but also on the altitude. Since our observing site has a significant light dome to the west we're usually looking eastward so I try to find something in the southeast at somewhere between 90 degrees and about 140 degrees from Polaris and at least 20 or 30 degrees different altitude.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

gregl wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:23 am so I try to find something in the southeast at somewhere between 90 degrees and about 140 degrees from Polaris and at least 20 or 30 degrees different altitude.
Sounds good to me.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

KathyNS wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:10 pm An alt-az mount has no knowledge of its orientation until you start to align it, unlike an EQ mount which can assume it is polar aligned. It can only point towards Polaris after you tell it what direction that is. And, depending on the mount's firmware, the best way to do that may well be to use Polaris as an alignment star.
Kathy is spot on.

An ALT-AZ goto mount needs ( apart from time, longitude and lattitude ) two kinds of information.
1- How am I oriented in Altitude?
2- How am I oriented in Azimuth?

1- Polaris is just one- of- the- guys to give that info about Altitude. But so are Wega, Deneb in the summer on the Northern Hemisphere.
2- Another star is needed for the info about the Azimuth. Preferrably a star low in the West or the East. The wider apart from the first alignment start, the better.
Some goto systems want three or even four alignment stars. I presume for various reasons (precision, lacking GPS-data) for it should not be essential.

For the next session it depends on how much info the goto system remembers or collects from GPS-data. (In those cases three, two, one or even no star ( GPS oriented mounts) may be needed)

For instance.
My first Alt-Az goto system, 15 years ago, wanted the whole circus completed. Every single session. I had to start from a certain start position, enter all data like date, time, lattitude, longitude and three pre-assigned alignment stars. My current Alt- Az goto system just asks (after one initial fourstar alignment for the very first start) for one alignment star and uses cell-pone data to complete.

On a modern ALT-AZ mount Polaris can be used, but is not essential. Use it at free will. One star high-up, and one low West/ East however are essential.
Most Northern EQ mounts assume they are already aligned on the true North. But those are quite a different story.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Mike Q United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

When i set up the XX16G i always start with Polaris, why.... Because it just sits there nicely so i can get it perfectly centered then i head off to something in the southern sky. With the iOptron alt az, its gps driven and after you center the first object and set it you are off the the races. You can do multi star alignments if you want to but you dont have to.
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Yes used polaris some times on my SLT go to mount when in Czech Rep , made no difference to any star
Here in RSA wish I had a similar star would make set up for my manual eq mounts so much easy
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5