Site Admin
Articles: 1046

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

September 2023 Solar Chat.

Post by Gordon »

Well, we are working towards the fall months.

Things will be cooling and maybe our Arizona monsoons will stop. I haven't had any solar time at all lately, hopefully, someone else is having better luck!!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

StarHugger United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: September 2023 Solar Chat.

Post by StarHugger »

For me our journey to the next solstice thus far has brought the Sun to my south facing window so untill freeze up my viewing goes from 2hours to 6 hr sessions now available daily or as weather allows.

I was able yesterday to capture my first solar disk through it though the data unuseable due to thermal activity.

Hopeful things will turn for the better weatherwise, and the earth facing sunspot count begins trending upwards again.

Was able to observe in ha yesterday but the heat had me stuck at a 40mm full disk in the At80ed with some cool proms just begging for more magnification.

🤞
Aaron / thestarhugger@gmail.com / Solar Kitchen Observatory / USA...

Specializing in Small Bore Multiple Wavelength Experimental Solar Imaging, Filtering & Visual Observation Since-2020

Solar Imaging Sessions 50 / Solar Observing Sessions 199
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

I seem to be the lucky one around here recently . My weather has been average for where I am and my sky has been very clear even when shooting through the holes in the clouds . in the warmer months i will rarely miss an opportunity if my sky permits . During the last cycle I would shovel the snow and image through the winter but I was younger back then LOL

Aaron @StarHugger I didn't include these in my last post , here are some of the proms you were looking at yesterday .

J1.jpg
J6c.jpg
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very nice catch , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

I got a few yesterday, but seeing was meh!
Despite promises today would be sunny, it's a mite overly cloudy!

Overall it's been a dire season here in the NE of Scotland.
Just call me Geoff....

I do what I do because I can, and because I want to.
It doesn't mean I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Outstanding close up time lapse imagery of Evershed effect by Thierry Ligault. You can see the outflow along the filaments of the sunspot group AR 3403 on August 16.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

fantastic work , thx for sharing it .

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hello fellow solar heads!

My last day of work was August 25th, and I went back today. So sad that.... However, it was a nice week! I decided to see what it was like to not check email, my phone, or even here(!!) for an entire 10 days. Bills were paid, work doesn't need me, and everyone I know knew I was off. So what did I do? Pretty much what I wanted. I did drive my daughter Sarah and her best friend Victoria to Stratford, Ontario on Monday morning and picked them up Wednesday morning. A 5 hour round trip each day, but I wanted to do it. I drive a lot for work, but this was different. The girls had a great time as well. And on Friday night they went downtown to see the Arctic Monkeys at Budweiser Stage. Not a band I know overly, but they're big fans and it was their first concert for both of them. They had a really good time with lots of video!

Saturday night Sarah and I went to see the Smashing Pumpkins at the same venue; it was great! You know, I've seen a lot of concerts, but this was the first where I was older than all the band members! Billy Corgan is not far behind me though at 56...
It was a great father/daughter outing. My wife stayed home; not her type of music. I still remember when Sarah was 13; I was in the basement and playing some tunes, and 1979 by the Pumpkins came on. Not far into it she comes racing downstairs; "Dad, who is that??!!"

We have a lot in common, we're also going to see Aerosmith in a few days :D

This is yours truly and her, and a shot from the show:

SP1.JPG
SP2.JPG

I also managed some solar; guess that why I'm posting this :lol: I have a window in the morning from 9-11 and in the afternoon from about 2-5 at the moment. I managed to get some Ca-K from last Sunday the 27th to Thursday the 31st; Wednesday was not the best. I also didn't line up the stacks with each other as I normally do. Damn vacation mode....

2023-08-27.jpg
2023-08-28.jpg
2023-08-29.jpg
2023-08-30.jpg
2023-08-31.jpg

Thursday the 31st was really clear as well both day and night, so I took some white light pics with my C80-HD and some pics of that nights waning 99% "Supermoon". I used a Baader 7.5nm Solar Continuum and UV/IR cut filters with both. The Sun was at ISO 800 and 1/2000th sec exp with my EOS 550D and a 3.8 ID filter, and the Moon was at ISO 800 at 1/125th sec exp with obviously no front filter:

2023-08-31-WL.jpg
2023-08-31-Moon.jpg

Last night I "rejoined" the digital world; that took a bit! And today was the first day back at work. Yay...??? Still, I got in at 2:30ish and managed some shots again. The best 500 frames of 3000 in AS3:

2023-09-05.jpg

No planets to scale or colouring; I probably have no time. As I'm typing this, I'm waiting for the girls to get in. My wife's first day back at work as a teacher, and my daughters first day of University.
I expect the front door will explode with those two coming in soon enough!! :lol:

Have a good day/night all!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Welcome back Mark , sounds like you had a great vacation !!
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

I'm glad to see that you had a good time during your vacation.
definitely well deserved.
nice set of photos, thx.

― Isaac Asimov

Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Welcome back Mark, I was wondering where you'd gone. Don't suppose you've had much time to mosey down to Mike's to see if he can get you're Ha syste up and running.
Keith
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by StarHugger »

Indeed welcome back to the digitals, looks a good time has been had and the results are in.

Nice imaging Mark, a well derseved respit is always refreshing.

Specializing in Small Bore Multiple Wavelength Experimental Solar Imaging, Filtering & Visual Observation Since-2020

Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Tillibobs wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:33 am Welcome back Mark, I was wondering where you'd gone. Don't suppose you've had much time to mosey down to Mike's to see if he can get you're Ha syste up and running.
Keith

Keith , I don't think he reads the forum :lol: :lol:
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

I'm beginning to wonder, hope I get notified if he does.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

I finally had some "me" time to get back on here when I got in from work today, after I took some more pics of the Sun after the rain in the morning... Vacation was good, but getting back to work was not; amazing what can happen in a week. Also a couple of other things that haven't reared their ugly heads in a while. Insert big sigh here...

@Solsearcher Mike, I didn't even check for comments on my last post on the Sun, that was back in August on the 25th... And I had all that time off and was even within your area :angry-banghead: I'll send you a PM when I'm more awake.

Thank you also to everyone else for your comments, much appreciated! I did manage to get off a few frames of ol' Sol yesterday as well as today. I'm tired and off to the hospital tomorrow AM. I'll see how that goes and hopefully check in here and get back to a few of you as well :D

Wednesday Sept 6
2023-09-06.jpg
2023-09-06_Colour.jpg

Thursday Sept 7
2023-09-07.jpg
2023-09-07_Colour.jpg

Have a good day/night everyone,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by StarHugger »

This month marks one year since I began imaging the Sun.

Early Sept last year I casually said to my wife that I thought I had the minimals to begin and that first couple months I imaged or mostly attempted to image in Ha. But then for some reason I dropped it all together for wedge imaging. Visual quark chromosphere observations with basic visual wl as a simple session plan followed by wl imaging with secondary filterings, maybe some AR's when weather was good, that became my thing for 10 months minus the winter break.

Then tonight thinking back, I went back and looked at some of my images from those first sessions and am thinking maybe I should get back at it a bit, again...

A couple from Sept 22nd 2022 with my At80ed, Asi385mc and Quark.

Have an awesome weekend everyone!
Attachments
20230908_020130.png
20230908_020057.png

Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

I agree Aaron , very nice images , plug that Quark in !!!
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by StarHugger »

Solsearcher wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:22 pm I agree Aaron , very nice images , plug that Quark in !!!
Thanks Mike,

That slow mo low has likely got my photons in a tizzy for another day, but as soon as I can indeed!

Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

I seem to recall Mike remarking on the state of the sky some time ago. The Met Office had ( and has ) got me down for this afternoon and evening as a big fat juicy blob of Sun. I've kept looking out but the blue sky one associates with Sun and clear sky is absent, instead it's a hazy shade of creamy grey . Cross me off again !!!!
Keith
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

good news about my lunt, the tests are finished and should leave for home soon.
yesssss

― Isaac Asimov