Telescope suggestions?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
HarryPotter69 Pakistan
Interdicted
Articles: 0

Telescope suggestions?

Post by HarryPotter69 »

someone suggest me a good telescope and must be cheap
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1046

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Re: Telescope suggestions?

Post by Gordon »

Welcome @HarryPotter69

Can you define 'cheap'. What are you planning to do with it just visual?

A bit more information will help.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

welcome in .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

The answer to your question is not a simple one. There are many factors to consider, the types of objects you want to look at, where you will be observing (traveling to a site or from your residence), what you are willing to do to set up the scope, and what knowledge you have of the sky and finding things using printed charts or with computer-aided systems.

If there is any way you can find a club or even someone else in your location who has a scope, it is always better to look through several types and talk to their owners before you take the plunge.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

HarryPotter69 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:35 pm someone suggest me a good telescope and must be cheap

Hello Harry

Welcome to the forum.

The best place to start is by going out at night and just using your eyes. They're the cheapest!

Then you will need to decided how much you want to spend. You can get a small, low quality telescope for about £50 and it will show you craters on the Moon and a couple of the larger, brighter celestial objects. But if you develop a growing interest in the hobby, this will swiftly become frustrating.

My advice is to save up and spend a little more and get a Dobsonium. For £200 ish you can get a small 5 inch version but then the more you spend the bigger aperture model you can get.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

Welcome to TSS. Your question has no easy answer. Everyone will need to know more about your budget, interests, location, etc. You've come to the right pace with that question. Just about everyone on this site is active in some form of astronomy and has made their share of good purchases and mistakes. There is an easy answer on what NOT to buy. Don't get one of those low cost flashy department store models like a lot of people get for Christmas.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

jrkirkham wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:43 am Don't get one of those low cost flashy department store models like a lot of people get for Christmas.
This is so right. The photos on the box are more than likely from research level telescopes and are NOT what you will see through any amateur scope. Learning what you can expect see is part of deciding on a scope.

Also there is likely some plastic in places where metal is better, such as the focuser; the tripod will more than likely be weak and shaky, and some cheap scopes even use plastic lenses.
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

Welcome to the forum! May I suggest that you download Stellarium (http://stellarium.org ). This a free planetarium programme that you can configure to your time and location and even the level of pollution in your night sky- so you can work out what you can see. A pair of (say) 10x50 binoculars will enable you to see a lot more than you can just with your naked eye, and you can begin to learn the sky and decide what you want to do with the hobby as you develop your understanding. Just about any binoculars are better than naked eye, even old or cheap second-hand ones if you don't have much money. 7x50 or 8x42 or even small ones like 8x32 will give you good views. (Just in case: "10x50" means 10 magnifications and 50mm diameter front lenses. This size is often recommended as a good one to start with. "8x42" means 8 magnifications and 42mm diameter front lens, and so on.)

Good luck, and we will look forward to hearing from you soon.

- Dean
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

If you are on a budget and have gone to a star party etc then the best for you is look for a used scope , not many here but CN (cloudynights) have a good classified section
A 90mm Mak on a simple EQ 1 mount works well the mount is stable and the scope works ok , you will start with planets and once you know it will show a few DSO , clusters , but if this is not for you then its a great spotting scope , binos are my best but dont show detail on planets
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

Richard has a good idea. In the past I have purchased 2 90mm Maks and 3 Dobs (6", 8" & 10") second hand in the fall of the year. All were in good shape and all were much less than the new price. I am not sure, but I think people start cleaning out closets of old unused Christmas presents in preparation for new ones. I think Some people purchase telescopes as presents only to find that the person isn't as interested in astronomy as they thought. During October and November they sometimes come up on for sale sites.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Welcome to TSS thanks for joining us :)

I recommend starting with binoculars, it's amazing how even a cheap pair will open up the sky :)

Infact many experienced folks use them more than any scope at their disposal.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

HarryPotter69 Pakistan
Interdicted

Post by HarryPotter69 »

Gordon wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:12 pm Welcome @HarryPotter69

Can you define 'cheap'. What are you planning to do with it just visual?

A bit more information will help.
I guess so
Mike Q United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

Two words that don't go together, astronomy and cheap. Don't despair are there are ways to do this hobby on a budget. First find a astro club and go look at scopes, spend lots of nights with them asking all sorts of questions.

After doing this you will have figured out what you like to look at and what scopes works best for you. This will also give you an idea of a practical and realistic budget.

As mentioned elsewhere avoid at all costs department store scopes. Just don't do it. Also as mentioned binoculars are a very good way into astronomy.
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL