Observing Report for 04 August 2013 - what I was doing 10 years ago

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 04 August 2013 - what I was doing 10 years ago

Post by kt4hx »

Since I am unable to do much in the way of deep sky observing right now because of being in recovery mode from surgery, I dug up the below notes from ten years ago in my archives. This was from our home backyard using my Zhumell Z10 dob (I still have it!). Our skies then were a strong Bortle 5, but have over the succeeding years degraded to a Bortle 6. Anyway, in looking at my notes I see how my notation and writing have evolved from more of a narrative style to a more formal presentation in the vein of an observing guide. Funny to look back so many years to see what I was up to at that time. :icon-smile: Anyway, here we go from many moons ago!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the promise of another “partly clear” night, I staged my equipment on the patio earlier in the evening, and headed out for observing about 2300 local time. Unfortunately, I was greeted by a proliferation of high thin clouds. So at least initially, it appeared that I would have to work around those for targets of opportunity from my observing list. Setting up the Z10 and my regular compliment of gear, I proceeded to Aquila to hunt down a triplet of open clusters highlighted earlier by my friend JG. Star hopping from mag 2.7 Tarazed (Gamma Aquilae) to mag 5.3 Phi Aquilae; I tracked down these three clusters. Though I found them unimpressive in the eyepiece, I like to chase down ignored objects because you never know what you will find.

I first found NGC 6840 at 69x as a small, loose grouping divided into two sections by a lane void of noticeable stars. Increasing to 114x, I found the lane more pronounced between a line of stars to one side and vaguely circular or boxy group of stars to the other. Moving on to NGC 6843, I had to push up to 142x to make any sense of this one. About all I could discern was a gently curving line of stars with a small amount of haze behind them, presumably from dimmer, unresolved stars. NGC 6837, likewise at 142x presented about 5 to 6 stars in a somewhat hockey stick pattern, with some background haze. Had I not been specifically looking for them, I feel I would easily slip past them without even realizing a cluster was in the field of view. There is not a lot of consistent magnitude or dimensional data for these clusters, but they are all faint, I would judge 11th to 12th magnitude.

I then headed to Lyra with a list of eight galaxies to attempt. Despite being near the zenith, I was only able to find one of them, the brightest of the lot. From Vega, I hopped northeast through the double-double (Epsilon Lyrae) to 4.4 mag 13 Lyrae, then northwest for just over 2° to sweep up the faint glow of NGC 6703. This magnitude 11.3 lenticular galaxy has a surface brightness of 13.1, and at 69x presented a small, dim, roundish haze. At 89x the core was noticeably brighter, while at 114x, the outer halo became more extended. Putting in the 8.8mm, giving me 142x, and using averted vision, the core took on a fleeting stellar appearance. Nearby NGC 6702 was not seen.

Still dodging clouds, and spying Capricornus showing above some nearby houses, I decided to revisit Messier 30. Sighting in on 3.7 mag Zeta Capricorni, I quickly moved just over 3.5° to the east-southeast to 5.2 mag 41 Cap, and mag 6.9 M30 was just west of this star. At 69x it was small, but quite bright. It exhibited a tight, bright core with an extended outer halo. I noticed a stream of stars coming out from the core. At 89x I detected a second string of stars coming out from the core, and noted some resolution of outer stars. It was a very pleasing sight.

Moving into Aquarius, and sighting on mag 3.3 Skat (Delta Aquarii), I hopped about 7.7° to the southwest and found the very subtle, large glow of the Helix Nebula, NGC 7293. It was so subtle at 69x that it I had to use the UHC filter to confirm its presence. Though it has an apparent magnitude of 7.3, its surface brightness is about 13.3. At 17.6’ in size, it is quite large for a planetary nebula, thus its light is so spread out leading to its dim appearance. I tried using more magnification, but honestly didn’t note any significant detail in this object. It remained a large, roundish, dim glow. The filter definitely made it stand out better against the background sky glow.

By this time the southern area of my sky had started to cloud up so I headed north. Needing just three more Messier’s to finish the 110 certificate, and with Andromeda-Perseus gaining elevation in the northeast I headed to the open cluster M34. Spotting the 2nd magnitude stars Almach (Gamma Andromedae) and Algol (Beta Persei), I sighted the Rigel Quickfinder just over halfway to Algol. I was rewarded with Messier 34 in the middle of the FOV. At 69x, this splash of stars showed a few close pairs and some lines of suns running through it. I noted about two dozen stars in this cluster. That puts me at 108 logged, with the two remaining objects to be completed later this fall or winter. While in the area, I spotted Messier 31 naked eye and swung the Z10 to its location. M31 was quite bright and extended, with the main dark line visible. Messier 32 was likewise bright, showing a small glowing globe. Even Messier 110 was there, easily seen with brightness in its core, and oval in shape. I dropped in the 24mm and all three fit nicely into the FOV, making a very nice sight indeed.

Going back to the 18mm (my mainstay DSO hunting EP), I headed to Aries seeking out the mag 10.3 spiral galaxy NGC 772. With a surface brightness of 13.8, it showed a dim oval with very slight brightening in the core at 69x. Increasing to 89x brightened it slightly, as did viewing it at 114x to 142x. However, no significant details were revealed.

Pisces was my next stop. The recent supernova SN2013ej in the face-on spiral galaxy Messier 74 was my primary reason this time around. I spotted mag 3.6 Eta Piscium and centered it in the FOV. Moving slowly to the ENE, I quickly swept up the faint round glow of the galaxy, with its visual magnitude of 9.4 and surface brightness of 14.1. At 69x it showed a bright core, with a dim halo around it, and a few stars superimposed upon its small disk. Orienting the finder chart for the supernova to match the view I had through the eyepiece, I was able to easily identify the SN as well as a few of the nearby stars plotted on the chart. Using 89x steadied the stars a bit and also brought more out in the surrounding halo of the galaxy’s arms. Viewing at 114x and 142x enhanced the core and surrounding halo, with the Type-II supernova being a steady beacon at around an estimated mag 12.5. It was quite interesting to be viewing a star around 30 million light years distant, and contemplating the age of this cataclysmic event and the time it took for the light to reach our eyes.

The clouds were starting to become more prevalent, so after a couple more items it would be time to call it a night. Spotting Triangulum, I headed to mag 3.5 Metallah (Alpha Trianguli), and then slid about 4.2° to the west-northwest and saw M33 ease into the FOV. At 69x, it was a fairly bright and large rounded diaphanous glow, with a brighter core. Viewed at 89x, the brightness of the halo increased, as did the core. I tried using my narrow-band nebula filter (Orion Ultra Block) and noticed some brightening in the galaxy’s halo, indicative of the H-II star forming regions in the arms. The primary one, NGC 604 was particularly bright east of the core.

Looking around, I noticed the famous variable star, Mira, in Cetus, I then directed my gaze to its northeast to 4th magnitude Delta Ceti. Aiming the scope at this star, I then swept just under a degree to the southeast to pick up the magnitude 8.9 galaxy M77. With a surface brightness of 12.9, this nearly face-on spiral was a small, bright roundish glow with an intense stellar core, indicative of Seyfert galaxies. A mag 10.8 star lay just southeast of the visible galactic disk. Using increased magnification intensified its overall brightness, particularly of its core, but no other details were seen.

With the increase in clouds and everything being drenched in dew, it was time to pack up the gear. There was some new stuff, and some old stuff; there were also some early Perseid meteors in the mix. Though the night was somewhat challenging having to dodge clouds here and there, and the humidity was somewhat problematic from time to time, it was still another fun night under the stars. Until next time, happy viewing!
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 04 August 2013 - what I was doing 10 years ago

Post by helicon »

Nice report Alan and congrats on reaching the M110 milestone on Af.net. As I recall I nailed it down in 2014 or so. Good views and descriptions as well of M30, the Helix, and the clusters. You've garnered today's VROD for taking us down memory lane! Also be sure to rest up and may you have a quick recovery.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:20 pm Nice report Alan and congrats on reaching the M110 milestone on Af.net. As I recall I nailed it down in 2014 or so. Good views and descriptions as well of M30, the Helix, and the clusters. You've garnered today's VROD for taking us down memory lane! Also be sure to rest up and may you have a quick recovery.

Thank you Michael. It is interesting to look back at where you've been in the sky. The old days of chasing Messier's and the Southern Award at AF.net was a fun time. Like many, I had observed the Messier objects over the years multiple times, but never pursued a certificate for it until AF.net. It was just fun to revisit and check off that little box of accomplishment. :icon-smile:

The healing is in progress and I hope to be back in action for the fall galaxy season!
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Alan and thanks for the great read.

I apologize for not wishing you well post surgery. I’m sure that you mentioned that in a post and I must admit that I haven’t been keeping as current as I should.

Sounds like you are recovering well and that is excellent news.
Congratulations on the vrod. You’ve been at this game for a long time and your visual expertise and descriptions were just as keen 10 years ago!

Take care and speedy recovery!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Juno16 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:38 pm Hi Alan and thanks for the great read.

I apologize for not wishing you well post surgery. I’m sure that you mentioned that in a post and I must admit that I haven’t been keeping as current as I should.

Sounds like you are recovering well and that is excellent news.
Congratulations on the vrod. You’ve been at this game for a long time and your visual expertise and descriptions were just as keen 10 years ago!

Take care and speedy recovery!

Thank you Jim. No problem at all. I haven't talked about my surgery much in the open forum. Its been two weeks now and I am coming along. Thankfully it was laparoscopic so the incisions were smaller and thus take less time to heal and aren't as painful. Nonetheless I am supposed to take it easy for about six weeks or so. Thus I figured by the end of Sept I should be back up to full speed again! :icon-smile:
Alan

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

First thing first, I'm glad to know that everything is going better and better for you.
I really like reading your reports, I learn a lot each time.
congratulations once again for your vrod .thx.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

messier 111 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:07 pm First thing first, I'm glad to know that everything is going better and better for you.
I really like reading your reports, I learn a lot each time.
congratulations once again for your vrod .thx.

Thank you Jean-Yves. I appreciate the well wishes, and the kind words about my reports. :icon-smile:
Alan

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Hopes for a speedy recovery Alan.

What a nice read, congratulations on the well deserved VROD!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Ylem wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:55 pm Hopes for a speedy recovery Alan.

What a nice read, congratulations on the well deserved VROD!

Thank you Jeff. Things are going well, but of course I am impatient to be back up to full speed. :icon-smile:
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:36 pm Congratulations on the VROD!

Thank you John.
Alan

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great read, Alan. Congrats on your VROD recognition. Most importantly, glad you are on the mend!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:31 am Great read, Alan. Congrats on your VROD recognition. Most importantly, glad you are on the mend!

Dave

Thank you Dave. Things are going pretty well overall for sure. While I wish I could do more of my normal activities, I know that restraining my enthusiasm will be better for me in the long run!
Alan

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice read from good old AF days. Brings back fun memories of chaicing Messiers for the AF award. Hardly anyone does it nowadays on TSS, but it was a popular activity on AF.

Thanks for this trip on the memory lane Alan. Congrats on VROD and speedy recovery!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:34 pm Nice read from good old AF days. Brings back fun memories of chaicing Messiers for the AF award. Hardly anyone does it nowadays on TSS, but it was a popular activity on AF.

Thanks for this trip on the memory lane Alan. Congrats on VROD and speedy recovery!

Thank you Andrey. Yeah, we had a really active bunch of visual observers on that site for sure. While I, like many others, had observed the Messier objects often over the years, it was fun to do it for the little award certificate. Then we came up with the southern award, which was also fun and added some more motivation to get on out there! :icon-smile: For all the issues we had on AF.net, it was good times and good memories.
Alan