Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I potentially fixed my mount.

Post by Jnicholes »

Hi everyone,

I’m posting today to say that I think I finally fixed the issue with my mount. It was actually very simple, and you guys were right about one of the issues.

The first issue was a problem with the mount. Simply put, one of the gears was turning, but the telescope was not turning. I was able to fix this using a little bit of adhesive. Now the telescope is turning and moving just fine.

The second issue was with alignment. I took everyone’s advice and got a reticle eyepiece as an experiment. I discovered that when I had my phone adapter on the reticle eyepiece, it was more difficult to align. Every time I aligned it, for example, to the sun with a solar filter, I would test the goto function by going to Mercury and Venus, then going back to the sun to see if anything was out of alignment. Sure enough, the sun was not in the same place as when I aligned it. In fact, it was off.

Then, I tried using just my eyes with the reticle eyepiece and the solar filter. I aligned it this way to the sun, and did the same thing, as before. I went to Mercury, then Venus, then back to the sun. This time, the sun was very close to the same spot as when I aligned it. I believe I may have fixed the second issue with the reticle eyepiece. However, I need to do a field test at night to make sure.

To sum up, there was a gear slipping, and I needed to align it properly with a reticle eyepiece.

I want to thank you all for helping me, and being patient with me. This reticle eyepiece is really helping me out so far. I’m going to take it for a field test tonight if the sky is clear. If it works, and I truly did fix the issue, I’m going to try to photograph the new Comet Nishimura sometime this week if it is clear.

Regards,

Jared
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: I potentially fixed my mount.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Glad you were able to get sorted Jared.

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

I have an update on the scope.

Last night didn’t go so well, the telescope was getting close to its targets, but they were not in the FOV. I looked at the scope again and discovered more issues.

There were actually FOUR issues. First, the alignment without the reticle eyepiece. Second, the gear slipping. Third, the bolt holding the scope to the tripod was too loose. Fourth, the focuser was too loose.

All the loose parts made the telescope more wobbly and less accurate. After tightening everything, it’s working better now.

I took it for a solar field test this morning, which it passed. Tonight if it is clear I will do the second part of the field test.

I will update later.

Jared
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
ruthere Argentina
Earth Ambassador

Post by ruthere »

Jnicholes wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:58 pm I have an update on the scope.

Last night didn’t go so well, the telescope was getting close to its targets, but they were not in the FOV. I looked at the scope again and discovered more issues.

There were actually FOUR issues. First, the alignment without the reticle eyepiece. Second, the gear slipping. Third, the bolt holding the scope to the tripod was too loose. Fourth, the focuser was too loose.

All the loose parts made the telescope more wobbly and less accurate. After tightening everything, it’s working better now.

I took it for a solar field test this morning, which it passed. Tonight if it is clear I will do the second part of the field test.

I will update later.
hi any update on second part.
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

ruthere wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:45 am
Jnicholes wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:58 pm I have an update on the scope.

I will update later.
hi any update on second part.
Actually, yes. So sorry it took so long to get back. Since I last posted, my life has been getting very busy. I actually have not had many chances to get out and do some stargazing.

However, the night that I went out, I discovered that my telescope has become a lot more accurate. I was able to go to several objects. And they did show up. However, they showed up on the edge of the field of view. Not 100% accurate, but better than before.

At least I’m going in the right direction!
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

I forgot to post my pictures. They are slightly out of focus, but it’s the best I could do that night.
IMG_0108.jpeg
IMG_0107.jpeg
It’s the Swan Nebula and the Wild Duck Cluster. As you can see, they were on the side of the field of view. Other objects were just outside the field of view.

Still, this is a major improvement from before.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Jnicholes wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:18 pm Actually, yes. So sorry it took so long to get back. Since I last posted, my life has been getting very busy. I actually have not had many chances to get out and do some stargazing.

However, the night that I went out, I discovered that my telescope has become a lot more accurate. I was able to go to several objects. And they did show up. However, they showed up on the edge of the field of view. Not 100% accurate, but better than before.

At least I’m going in the right direction!

Glad to hear your adjustments have made a difference Jared!

I'm not familiar with the Celestron Nexstar, is there a means of tightening the axis of movement that you can loosen to move the telescope manually and tighten when in use? My CGX has a clutch on the Dec axis and one on the RA axis that I can loosen to move the thing about and tighten when in use. If either one of them were not quite tight enough, I would get the symptoms you describe.

Regards

Graeme

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

ruthere wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:45 am hi any update on second part.

Hello Ruthere.

Welcome to the forum.

Regards

Graeme

Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

I have another update. I apologize for not posting in a while.

The telescope was still very shaky. In fact, I owe an explanation as to why this is.

When I first got the mount, it would not mount on my telescope tripod. It was too big. So, I ordered a smaller mount that would fit on my tripod. It was an older model that could not be updated, but it had the part I needed, so I got it. Because of the way I rigged the telescope, it was naturally very shaky. If I tried to tighten it, the telescope would not move.

This was back in 2017.

Now the present day. I put both telescope mounts back together with their original parts. I was trying to figure out how to fix the wobbliness issue as well as the tracking issue. Then, it finally hit me.

Take all the computer parts out of the big mount and replace all the computer parts in the small mount with the parts from the big mount.

It was a very crazy idea, I know. However, I was out of ideas and I felt like I could try anything at this point.

After working on it for about an hour replacing all the parts, I did multiple tests on the telescope, and to my shocking surprise, the wobbliness issue is gone. The tracking issue is perfect.

I am 90% positive that I have fully fixed the telescope. To be certain, I’m going to take it for a field test tonight.

I will update later.

Jared
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Jnicholes wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:39 pm I am 90% positive that I have fully fixed the telescope. To be certain, I’m going to take it for a field test tonight.

Good luck Jared

Graeme

Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

OK, this is the last update for this thread.

Last night, something happened that I did not expect. When I attempted to fix it, I realized that I had accidentally damaged the entire mount permanently.

I’ve done everything I can, and there is no way to fix it.

I’m going to bite the bullet and get a new computer telescope. I need an upgrade anyway.

Well, that’s the way it goes sometimes. This was an old mount, and it was on its way out anyway. At least I learned about electronics and about the different parts of a computer telescope.

This unfortunately means that I am going to miss the partial solar eclipse on October 14, as well as comet Nishimura.

Until I get a new telescope, I have to put astronomy on hold.

I will post again as soon as I get a new telescope.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Sorry to hear this, hopefully you will find something right away.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

It is possible that this is a deal you can cash in on. Do your due diligence on this before you decide to buy. I'm posting this for the GT mount and not necessarily the scope.

Hope this helps,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285227911934?h ... ition=3000

And here is another GT goto mount.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/155598700804?h ... ition=3000
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

Hi everyone,

I have not posted on this thread in a while. I have an update for you all.
IMG_0741.jpeg

My brother recently purchased a 3d printer. We’ve been printing a lot of stuff with it. The thought occurred to me yesterday to 3d print the part of the telescope that broke.

I decided to give it a try, so I measured everything and I designed the part.
IMG_0742.jpeg

After putting the part on (it’s the grey colored part,) I realized that it solved one of the two problems.

The telescope is not wobbly anymore and the damage that I thought was permanent is fixed. This part I 3d printed solves the first issue.

I will know if the telescopes goto function actually works tonight.

I will update later.

Jared
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Best of success Jared!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

I DID IT! I FIXED THE MOUNT!!!!
IMG_0790.jpeg
IMG_0791.jpeg

I am so happy!

Here’s what happened. The first night I went out, I failed to level the telescope. I need to do this because my tripod is really delicate, almost broken to be exact.

Last night, I went out and I leveled the telescope as best as I could with a construction level. Then, I auto two star aligned to the stars Vega and Kochab.

To my surprise, I went directly to the ring nebula and pretty close to the great Hercules globular cluster M13.

It looks like I fixed the mount! Now I need to fix the tripod and make it less flimsy so I can level it easier.

Jared
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Impressive Jared!

Graeme