Live stacking

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Live stacking

Post by SkyHiker »

I am curious about EAA and explored a few live stacking programs on Windows: DSS Live 4.2.5, Siril 1.2.0 and SharpCap 4.0.

They can all work from a folder that is filled with images, and stack each time a new image comes in. None of them require a camera connection for this. I tested using FITS files from an ASI2600MC. Stacking an image in Sharpcap takes roughly about 4 seconds, in Siril 25 seconds, in DSS 15 seconds.

Siril and SharpCap have image editing options for color balance, dark/mid/high points, etcetera. DSS Live unfortunately does not have editing features. In this case DSS Live made my images rather blue from the specific camera capture settings. Siril's controls work but are not super intuitive to use. Once set and applied to the sequence, stacking the next image unfortunately reverted back to the default color setting; maybe a bug. SharpCap is super easy to use with autocalibration for star colors or histogram peaks. It worked really well.

Siril and DSS Live are free; SharpCap requires a Pro subscription license if you want to save the image, and if you don't want the watermark. If I were serious about EAA I would buy one, it's not too expensive.

Siril is the only one that also runs on Linux. It was nice to see the progress in the GUI compared to v 0.99.8.1 that I used last time around.

That's all, interested what everyone else uses and what their experiences are.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Live stacking

Post by JayTee »

Henk,

Have you looked at ASI studio? I use it all the time. Although not for stacking I must admit. But it seems very capable. Give it a try.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

JayTee wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:48 am Have you looked at ASI studio? I use it all the time. Although not for stacking I must admit. But it seems very capable. Give it a try.
Good idea, I forgot about that one. I tried it a while ago and have installed ASI Studio on Windows and Linux. The Linux version did not work well; I should take a look at the latest downloads.

ASI Studio won't stack from a folder; it expects an imaging camera to be connected. I will try it next time I'm taking data. Should be as simple as hooking up the camera while letting Ekos do the tracking and autoguiding.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Considering SharpCapPro only cost $15/yr, I'm happy to give Robin the money considering all that he has done in the development of this amazing program. Heck, I'd give him double that, just nobody tell him that!
I use SharpCapPro for all my solar/lunar/planetary lucky imaging and many times when I'm set up in the backyard and feel like Livestreaming, I use the LiveStacking feature. The folder stack feature is something I believe he incorporated around v3.5.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
SparWeb Canada
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SparWeb »

Hi,
Please forgive me for jumping in like a noob, but I didn't realize this was possible. Investigating SharpCap and I'm getting kind of excited to try it.

Do you have any samples of what it looks like? What does it look like while it's actually running? The website provides screen-captures of the sampling/quality chart windows, and the gallery is of post-processed images. That said, the seeing monitor seems like a great tool for setting up camera focus even if I am not intending to life-stack or capture, but for _all_ sessions.

I don't actually have a proper astrocam, because I've only needed my dSLR Canon 6D so far. This might tip me over to getting a ZWO. If I want to mess around with the software, just to make sure this is something I want to invest in, could I use my Orion Starshoot autoguider cam?

Or have I missed something, and Sharpcap can drive a dSLR too?
Steven Fahey
51.248N, 113.53W, 995m ASL
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IALBERTA147
Canon 6D (unmodified) + Lunt 4" (102mm) achromat refractor (7.1 focal ratio) + Celestron AVX mount

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

SparWeb wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:31 am Hi,
Please forgive me for jumping in like a noob, but I didn't realize this was possible. Investigating SharpCap and I'm getting kind of excited to try it.

Do you have any samples of what it looks like? What does it look like while it's actually running? The website provides screen-captures of the sampling/quality chart windows, and the gallery is of post-processed images. That said, the seeing monitor seems like a great tool for setting up camera focus even if I am not intending to life-stack or capture, but for _all_ sessions.

I don't actually have a proper astrocam, because I've only needed my dSLR Canon 6D so far. This might tip me over to getting a ZWO. If I want to mess around with the software, just to make sure this is something I want to invest in, could I use my Orion Starshoot autoguider cam?

Or have I missed something, and Sharpcap can drive a dSLR too?
No, SharpCap will NOT work with a DSLR. The list of supported models/brands can be found here. https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/cameras
You don't have to go with a ZWO model but if you want to or plan to go with something like an ASIair, then ZWO is the way to go. I have three of their cameras.
The linked page does mention that it works with most cameras that have ASCOM drivers so there's a slight chance it will work with the StarShoot AutoGuider camera. But you will be severely limited with the capabilities of that camera. It's great as an autoguide camera and that's about it.
Here's a great and short video that explains the livestacking and folder stacking abilities of SharpCapPro.
https://youtu.be/3WDc43U4h2g
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
SparWeb Canada
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SparWeb »

Thanks for the links.

I wasn't too specific with my previous question sorry - I meant "any camera" that would demonstrate the functions of SharpCap, regardless of the capability, just by responding to its commands and capturing images.
I seem to break software all the time, so I'm just in the habit of testing it first, before investing in hardware to be driven by the software. If I can't prove the software is robust, I might not enjoy using it.

If getting a CCD, I'd prefer to get a professional CCD camera, but it could revolutionize my entire kit. Going CCD would not just be an investment in the camera, but also the peripheral system around it, which is entirely geared to supporting my dSLR now.

It must sound like I'm overthinking this!

I'll just mess around with SharpCap this weekend and see if I like it.

Thank you!
Steven Fahey
51.248N, 113.53W, 995m ASL
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IALBERTA147
Canon 6D (unmodified) + Lunt 4" (102mm) achromat refractor (7.1 focal ratio) + Celestron AVX mount

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

SharpCap has been around for several years and is VERY robust. I doubt you'll break it.
And you will be buying a CMOS camera, not a CCD.