KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Helena Observatory (re)build

Post by KathyNS »

Today's work was pouring the concrete for the pier footing. I managed to get it all done before the day got too hot. When I knocked off at 11:00, it was "only" 27 degrees C! Hydration was a major concern, and my back is a little worse for wear. No pics today, since there is nothing to see until the forms come off.

I ended up being short about half a bag of concrete mix. @#$%!! I had no choice: I had to set my pier bolts while the concrete was still workable. The bolts are long enough that they were into the concrete that was there, hopefully enough to hold them. I will leave it to cure for several days. Once I remove the plywood that is aligning the bolts, I will see how it looks. I should be able to add more concrete to bring it up to the planned level.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

You are probably aware Kathy that you will need to scabble the surface of the cured first pour of concrete, to expose the stone, prior to pouring the wet second pour, in order to ensure you get a good adhesion.
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

Graeme1858 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:39 pm You are probably aware Kathy that you will need to scabble the surface of the cured first pour of concrete, to expose the stone, prior to pouring the wet second pour, in order to ensure you get a good adhesion.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads-up.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

I finished the pier foundation. When I opened up the top of the form, the pier bolts held firm. I painted the concrete with concrete bonding adhesive and then poured more concrete on top, with a couple of pieces of rebar in it. After troweling it smooth, I am pretty pleased with the result. Once this batch cures, I will be able to strip the forms.
P1190428-1000px.JPG
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

Hurricane Lee is a distant memory. Just a bit of wind and rain, and 6 hours without power. No big deal.

What is a big deal is that I finally got my electrical trench dug. Conduit is installed. Now I have to back fill by hand. Ugh! Oh, well, progress is progress.
P1190467-1000px.jpg
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Are you going to run an LV/SCADA/Ethernet conduit too whilst the trench is open?

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

Graeme1858 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:33 pm Are you going to run an LV/SCADA/Ethernet conduit too whilst the trench is open?

Graeme
That would be my first choice, but there is no point. There is no possibility of getting Ethernet out to the observatory. I really, REALLY don't want to dig up the driveway. I was able to take power from the toolshed/workshop, but it doesn't have Ethernet. I will have to make do with Wifi.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

KathyNS wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:27 pm Hurricane Lee is a distant memory. Just a bit of wind and rain, and 6 hours without power. No big deal.

What is a big deal is that I finally got my electrical trench dug. Conduit is installed. Now I have to back fill by hand. Ugh! Oh, well, progress is progress.

P1190467-1000px.jpg
I wimped out and got the backhoe in again to backfill the trench. My wallet hates me, but my back is happy.

I pulled a cord through the conduit, so it is ready to install the electrical cable. To pull a cord through conduit, use a shop-vac duct-taped to one end of the conduit to pull a thin string through it. Then use that to pull the working cord through. Finally, use that, and a generous amount of cable lube to pull the electrical cable.

Next will be a load of gravel for the base, and then a crane to lift the building into place.
SparWeb Canada
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SparWeb »

Are there threaded studs in the "cover" (to the left of the hole casing in your photo)?
Steven Fahey
51.248N, 113.53W, 995m ASL
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IALBERTA147
Canon 6D (unmodified) + Lunt 4" (102mm) achromat refractor (7.1 focal ratio) + Celestron AVX mount
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

SparWeb wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:26 am Are there threaded studs in the "cover" (to the left of the hole casing in your photo)?
The threaded studs are anchored in the concrete. What I assume you mean by the cover is the plywood panel that I used to align the bolts while the concrete set.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

KathyNS wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:27 pm I finally got my electrical trench dug. Conduit is installed. Now I have to backfill by hand. Ugh! Oh, well, progress is progress.
KathyNS wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:32 pm I wimped out and got the backhoe in again to backfill the trench.
After I filled in my trench (150'/46m), 12 months of weathering now shows a definite depression (a dip) where that trench is located! I should have mounded the dirt higher to allow for this.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

JayTee wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:43 pm
KathyNS wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:27 pm I finally got my electrical trench dug. Conduit is installed. Now I have to backfill by hand. Ugh! Oh, well, progress is progress.
KathyNS wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:32 pm I wimped out and got the backhoe in again to backfill the trench.
After I filled in my trench (150'/46m), 12 months of weathering now shows a definite depression (a dip) where that trench is located! I should have mounded the dirt higher to allow for this.
That is good to hear. Mine is mounded up a couple of inches, so hopefully, it will flatten out.
SparWeb Canada
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SparWeb »

KathyNS wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:36 pm
SparWeb wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:26 am Are there threaded studs in the "cover" (to the left of the hole casing in your photo)?
The threaded studs are anchored in the concrete. What I assume you mean by the cover is the plywood panel that I used to align the bolts while the concrete set.
Yes, that's what I was getting at, thanks for confirming.
Steven Fahey
51.248N, 113.53W, 995m ASL
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IALBERTA147
Canon 6D (unmodified) + Lunt 4" (102mm) achromat refractor (7.1 focal ratio) + Celestron AVX mount
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

I am going to feel this tomorrow! 3.5 yards (about 4.5 tons!) of class-A gravel, shovelled, raked and boot-stomped level. If we get a little rain, it will set up nice and firm. This is the same foundation system I have used in the past, and it worked well.

I have a crane booked for the end of the week (next week if there are weather delays) to lift the building onto the pad. Then, finally, I will be able to start moving in.
100_0054-1000px.jpg
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

KathyNS wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:01 pm I am going to feel this tomorrow! 3.5 yards (about 4.5 tons!) of class-A gravel, shovelled, raked and boot-stomped level. If we get a little rain, it will set up nice and firm. This is the same foundation system I have used in the past, and it worked well.

I have a crane booked for the end of the week (next week if there are weather delays) to lift the building onto the pad. Then, finally, I will be able to start moving in.

100_0054-1000px.jpg
Are you still on your schedule?
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

messier 111 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:40 pm Are you still on your schedule?
Schedule? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: There hasn't been a schedule for months! My current target is that I'd like to get it done before it is too cold to work outside. But it's a very flexible target. Before this, I wanted to get it done in time for the nice fall weather. It'll be done when it's done.

At least I am making progress right now. The next step is the big one.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

That gravel should also provide good drainage should any water get in.

I see you have rain gutters around the perimeter. Was water getting through the cracks in the corner without it?

And what are those orange objects, are they anti-burglar motion-activated lights? And those grey boxes?

Sorry if I ask too much, I'm just curious about all these things that you clearly put a lot of thought into.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

SkyHiker wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:42 am That gravel should also provide good drainage should any water get in.

I see you have rain gutters around the perimeter. Was water getting through the cracks in the corner without it?

And what are those orange objects, are they anti-burglar motion-activated lights? And those grey boxes?

Sorry if I ask too much, I'm just curious about all these things that you clearly put a lot of thought into.

The gutters originated at the observatory's first installation. There, I didn't make a gravel pad because there was already a bocci court in the back yard. Instead of gravel, it used crusher dust - basically class-A without the stones, just the dust. It was a very firm base, ideal for the purpose. (Like class-A, the fine material acts as a cement.) However, drips from the roof were causing little craters in the dust surface. Rather than wait for the base to erode, I installed the gutters and directed the water away onto grass.

The orange objects are junction boxes for exterior lights, with the lights temporarily removed for transport and the openings covered with red tape to keep the walls waterproof. The exterior lights are full-cutoff fixtures with red bulbs, for when I want to set up another scope on the field.

The gray box on the left-facing wall is an outdoor electrical outlet, for when I want to set up on the field. The gray box on the right-facing wall is a junction box for data and 12-volt power cables to the rain sensor and sky camera. Both those devices were temporarily removed from the exterior for transport.

This photo shows the sensors and one of the lamps.

(No problem asking. I love talking about the observatory.)
P1170944-1000px.JPG
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Looks like you are making very good progress on a very cool observatory Kathy. Curious if the gravel is going to be the surface or if you are pouring concrete over it. I guess there could be pros and cons to either.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

helicon wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:52 pm Looks like you are making very good progress on a very cool observatory Kathy. Curious if the gravel is going to be the surface or if you are pouring concrete over it. I guess there could be pros and cons to either.
No concrete. The gravel will be the surface. Concrete is both expensive and unnecessary, plus I would then have additional drainage issues to worry about. Gravel will give me a firm base, which is all I need. It drains well. The building has a wood floor that will be well above the gravel, so I don't need concrete as a walking surface.