Anyone doing really long exposure times?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
AstroBee United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Anyone doing really long exposure times?

Post by AstroBee »

My buddy Patrick regularly does 1800-second sub while shooting 3nm narrowband imaging. And he's not shooting with a really slow system. He just claims that he get's fainter details by going longer. He's always giving me a hard time because I've always limited myself to 600 second subs.
Last night, I decided to shoot my current subject at 600 sec and at 900 sec and compare the two in PixInsight. Other than a slightly brighter image, I didn't really see much difference in the fainter regions.
I know this is probably not the way to compare the two images but here's what I did. I opened both in PixInsight, Did a STF on both, copied the STF to HT and then exported each as PNG's. That's what you are looking at in this video. It starts with the full sensor capture and then zooms in on two different regions, one bright and one darker.
Tell me what you think. First, if this is the correct/best way to compare the two images, and second, do you think it's worth it to give up the total # of subs per evening by going longer? Figuring at this time of year I have about 6 hours of good imaging time between the end of Astronomical twilight and the beginning of astronomical dawn. So that's a difference between capturing 36 subs vs 24 subs.
BTW, it's a 4K clip if you have a decent 4K monitor to look at it.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Anyone doing really long exposure times?

Post by KathyNS »

I don't think there is an advantage to longer subs just for the sake of having longer subs. The difference between 24 subs and 36 subs is not significant. What matters most is the total integration time. In most cases, six hours will be six hours no matter how you divide it up.

The only reason to take longer subs is to get faint details out of the read noise threshold. If you are finding that you cannot get the faint details to show through the noise, then you might experiment with longer subs. If your faint details are fine, then longer subs just give more opportunities for losing integration time to problems like aircraft, cable snags, etc.

I take 300s subs for luminance, 600s for Ha and 900s for Oiii. My optics are fast (f/4), but it's an old camera and fairly noisy compared to more modern cameras.

I wouldn't use an automatic tool like STF when doing statistical comparisons on subs. STF, at least the way most people use it, uses different stretch parameters on every image. So you will be comparing apples to oranges.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Thanks for your input Kathy.
What would be a better way of comparing apples to apples?
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

AstroBee wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:47 pm Re: Anyone doing really long exposure times?

Yeah, you! 😁

Mine rarely go above 300. As long as there's a gap between the left side of the histogram and the zero of the X axis, I start capturing. Wasted shorter subs due to satellites etc are a smaller proportion of the total.

But I'm still interested in seeing how both your comparison experiment and your 900 second project goes.

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

I used to do 20min subs years ago when I had a Skywatcher NEQ6, but I swapped that for an HEQ5 as lifting the NEQ6 regularly for astro camping was a bit heavy for me. The HEQ5 doesn't seem to be able to go longer than 600 secs without getting elongated stars, so I don't do that any more.

I think personally the only value in doing longer subs than 600secs is if the target is very very dim, such as perhaps the Squid and such like.

Carole
Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home
XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

AstroBee wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:08 pm Thanks for your input Kathy.
What would be a better way of comparing apples to apples?
One way (still not the best) is to use STF on one of the subs and then transfer that value to the other subs. That way the same stretch is applied to all (the stretch from the first sub that is). You can do this by applying the STF to HT and then use HT on the other subs.
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

I have found that 300sec seems like a good value for LRGB. Since I use 3nm NB filters, I go with 600sec with them. Haven't tried 900 on the Oiii as Kathy mentioned (I may try that on my Bubble Nebula). Since I'm using an AP1100 mount, long exposure tracking is not the problem. It's the planes and various satellites (and clouds).
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
Stuart United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

Our team shoots with 15 minute subs, but we have a 24" CDK and a 16803 camera. One day we will switch to CMOS and our sub lengths will decrease accordingly.
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.
SparWeb Canada
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SparWeb »

Maybe your friend is using low-sensitivity sensors that benefit more from longer exposures than yours. Unlikely, I know - if they have a mount that can accurately track for 1/2 hour they probably use sensitive capture equipment.
Steven Fahey
51.248N, 113.53W, 995m ASL
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IALBERTA147
Canon 6D (unmodified) + Lunt 4" (102mm) achromat refractor (7.1 focal ratio) + Celestron AVX mount

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

SparWeb wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:44 am Maybe your friend is using low-sensitivity sensors that benefit more from longer exposures than yours. Unlikely, I know - if they have a mount that can accurately track for 1/2 hour they probably use sensitive capture equipment.
Nope, ZWO 6200. Basically the same sensor as my 2600 except full frame instead of APS-C.
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Greenman »

Interesting, not my area of work - the max I go for on my AVX is 300 seconds - I'm pushing the mount at that, also on an OSC the fainter stuff is harder to manage as you have not got the inherent sensitivity of mono cameras. To me, the 900-sec subs seem to cover up the detail more than show it as the brighter areas bloom a bit.

My two penneth :)
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

For me, it's the inherent low-level LP. Even though I live in a relatively dark area, I still have to contend with LP. I can't go any longer than around 600 seconds on my OSC because the LP noise floor rises above the faint detail and so it gets lost.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

DEnc United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by DEnc »

I tried 30min exposures of the Horsehead in Ha, only to see if a) I could pull it off with my Mach 1 mount, and b) do it in a ridiculously light-polluted neighborhood. There were nasty artifacts associated with overexposure of Alnitak, which could be managed with a starless workflow. Six hours total, Stellarvue SV110 and an SBIG STT8300M camera:--
Horsehead.jpg

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

DEnc wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:25 pm I tried 30min exposures of the Horsehead in Ha, only to see if a) I could pull it off with my Mach 1 mount, and b) do it in a ridiculously light-polluted neighborhood. There were nasty artifacts associated with overexposure of Alnitak, which could be managed with a starless workflow. Six hours total, Stellarvue SV110 and an SBIG STT8300M camera:--

Horsehead.jpg
Yes, I would be afraid to try 30 min with a target like the Horse head, knowing Alnitak is going to blow out.

I instigated this question because of shooting the Flaming Skull Nebula which did not have any bright stars in the FOV.
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

AstroBee wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:45 am
SparWeb wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:44 am Maybe your friend is using low-sensitivity sensors that benefit more from longer exposures than yours. Unlikely, I know - if they have a mount that can accurately track for 1/2 hour they probably use sensitive capture equipment.
Nope, ZWO 6200. Basically the same sensor as my 2600 except full frame instead of APS-C.
I thought the idea of CMOS cameras was to do much shorter subs but lots of them.

I only do 600 on Ha or Lum, Oiii, Sii and RGB I only do 300secs RGB binned, or even 150secs binned as at home (Bortle 8) the LP is too great to do any longer and the sensor gets whited out). If I am at a Bortle 4 campsite I might do 300secs binned RGB.

Carole
Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

It looks like you managed to pull it off. I like the black and white.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution