SVBony - New OTA - My Gawd they've gone and done it again.

Discuss other brands of scopes. If the team sees enough activity we will add a new subforum.
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

SVBony - New OTA - My Gawd they've gone and done it again.

Post by chris_g »

SVBony is releasing a triplet OTA 122mm F/7 for a ridiculously low MSRP when compared to other triplets. If interested, check it out.

https://www.svbony.com/sv550-apo-refractor-122mm/

Features:
1. The SV550 APO Triplet refractor with 122mm aperture and f/7 focal ratio, a great travel telescope for observation and astrophotography
2. Fully multi-coated triplet apochromatic optics using an ED center element
3. 2.5" dual-speed rack-and-pinion focuser 10:1 ratio fine focusing with M63x1 female thread for adaptions
4. Retractable lens shade/dew shield-the APO even fits into the hand luggage
5. CNC multi-function Dual hinged split tube rings with a 300mm versatile V-style dovetail, support mounting of various accessories
6. Finder shoe on the focuser is included
7. Multipurpose shock-absorbing telescope protective bagrunning AstroDMx Capture
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: SVBony - New OTA - My Gawd they've gone and done it again.

Post by Bigzmey »

Attractive package indeed. How do you like your SV405CC?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

thx
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by chris_g »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:02 pm Attractive package indeed. How do you like your SV405CC?
Glad you asked, it failed within the first six weeks I had it. I worked with SVBony support through Amazon Seller Central and they replaced it with a brand-new package and I got to keep the accessories from the new one when I returned the old one. They also paid for shipping back to China. I like it, it's given me the exposure to dedicated astrophotography cameras at a price that isn't ridiculous. ZWO's version is $999 and SVBony's is $799, the only difference is the 405CC doesn't have a USB 2 hub on it. You can usually get it for cheaper than that through Amazon. I got mine for $740. The quality of the images is the same between the two on Astrobin. I also use one of their toy telescopes as a guide scope, the SV503 70/400. It can be difficult sometimes because of nature of the build being plastic but once it's locked in, the optics performs just as well as my more expensive and HEAVIER guide scopes. They also introduced a mono cooled camera for $899 based on the IMX533 chip, ZWO's version is $999. Again the only difference would appear to be no USB 2 hub. Sorry ZWO, two usb 2 Ports aren't worth $100 to $200.

I was hoping for a refractor at a longer focal length, something in the range of 1000, I'm patient and hoping that they have one when I'm ready to add another OTA to the collection! :)

Clear Skies,
Chris
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

These are the most common refractors in the (approximate) 1000 mm range. At 1000mm most refractors are usually OK4, FPL or fluorite which means expensive. With the extended focal length they can be 'essentially perfect' in colour correction.
https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/pr ... cuser.html
https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/pr ... uszug.html
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telesc ... cuser.html

After reading the SVBony marketing, to me it is just SVBony leading the charge to the bottom again...
Nothing personal Chris, just my opinion about SVBony. My comments are only about the telescopes and nothing to do with their other products either.

Features:
1. The SV550 APO Triplet refractor with 122mm aperture and f/7 focal ratio, a great travel telescope for observation and astrophotography
Pretty standard so far other than a uncommon clear aperture.
2. Fully multi-coated triplet apochromatic optics using an ED center element
Meaningless without knowing the mating elements or grade of glass. Pure marketting.
3. 2.5" dual-speed rack-and-pinion focuser 10:1 ratio fine focusing with M63x1 female thread for adaptions
Nice focuser
4. Retractable lens shade/dew shield-the APO even fits into the hand luggage
15 lb and 34.5" is hand luggage? Not on any flights I have taken. Do not expect it to survive in the hold in a suitcase either.
5. CNC multi-function Dual hinged split tube rings with a 300mm versatile V-style dovetail, support mounting of various accessories
Fairly standard rings, 12" extruded vixen dovetail will vibrate with 15lb scope + AP stuff on it, better a solid one or Losmandy plate.
6. Finder shoe on the focuser is included
Normal
7. Multipurpose shock-absorbing telescope protective bagrunning AstroDMx Capture
What is this even supposed to mean??

On the marketing page they show this a few times: ( FPL-51 triplet>FPL-53 doublet) which is just wrong.
At a focal ratio of f/7 the 53 doublet will still be slightly better than 51 triplet in colour correction if the elements are similar quality.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by chris_g »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:06 pm These are the most common refractors in the (approximate) 1000 mm range. At 1000mm most refractors are usually OK4, FPL or fluorite which means expensive. With the extended focal length they can be 'essentially perfect' in colour correction.
Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:06 pm fter reading the SVBony marketing, to me it is just SVBony leading the charge to the bottom again...
Nothing personal Chris, just my opinion about SVBony. My comments are only about the telescopes and nothing to do with their other products either.
I will defer to your opinion, I know nothing of glass and lenses, no offense was taken. You do mention though that one of the more expensive lenses is FPL, the specs for the SVBony say ED Glass FPL 51. You also mention 1000mm focal length, I want one at least capable of that range which knocked SV Bony's out. This one is 854mm native, with one ED lens, would that be the cost reduction in tune of hundreds, I did see the specs on the glass for the two you showed were FPL53 instead of FPL51 and two ED lense instead of one?

I did paste the marketing instead of the specs page

Thank you, time for some new aditonal internet search... :mrgreen:

Specifications

Brand​ SVBONY​
Model SV550
Aperture 122mm
Focal Length 854mm
Focal Ratio f/7
ED Glass​ FPL51​
Telescope Type Refractor
Resolution 1.15 arc seconds
Coatings Fully Multi-coated​
Tube Material Aluminum
Focuser 2.5" rack-and-pinion, dual speed (1/10)
Tube​ Travel 87mm
Visual Limiting Magnitude 12.3
Lens Design Apochromatic​
Dovetail Plate Length 300mm
Highest Useful Magnification 244x
Additional Thread M63x1 female thread for adaptions​​
Dew Shield Type Retractable
Net Weight​ 6440g/14.18lb
Gross Weight​ 10000g
Thank you,
Chris
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by chris_g »

Quick search answered questions, thank you. Know what you want! Knowledge is power..

FPL 51, 52 and 53 and fluorite. 53 is better at CA than 51 but is more "fragile", 51 can be perfect at longer focal lengths, a whole host of quality on the mating elements will drive things up...fluorite, I don't see the benefit to justify the cost.

As always. @Lady Fraktor, thank you

Clear Skies,
Chris
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

chris_g wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:14 am FPL 51, 52 and 53 and fluorite. 53 is better at CA than 51 but is more "fragile", 51 can be perfect at longer focal lengths, a whole host of quality on the mating elements will drive things up...fluorite, I don't see the benefit to justify the cost.
Fluorite has many benefits but like any other glass it may not be required for what you want your telescope to do.
O'Hara makes FPL-51,53 and 55. FK-52 was made by Schott (no longer produced)
All ED elements are soft, 51 and 55 are harder and easier to work.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Hello Chris, this is going to wander a bit as it is 05:30 in the morning and I am having breakfast :)

I will not touch on fluorite as it is a whole topic on itself.
OK-4, FPL-51,53,55, FCD-1, FCD-100, FK-61 are the most common extra low dispersion glasses used in our optics.
These of themselves do nothing to make a good refractor without a proper mating element(s).

All of these are ED glass, the SD designation is strictly marketing to separate you from your $$.

The one we hear/ read about the most is Lanthanum BUT Lanthanum can be a glass or it can be added to a base glass melt or it can just be doped onto the glass like a coating. Each method has different corrective properties.
There are other backing glasses, many of which are more expensive than the ED glass itself. A good example is Schott glass N-ZK7 which is typically 3x the price of FPL-53 (meaningless but I will give context later)
So in reality we have to put a lot of trust into the manufacturers or spend a bit of time learning some of the specifics to see if it will meet our expectations.

Grade 1-4(Perfect-Good), Scratch Dig 1-4(amount of internal bubbles-scratches)
Optical extra low dispersion glass usually comes in at least 4 different grades and in 4 different scratch/ dig ratios.
The best grade- s/d ratio is usually for military, high end scientific instruments and small amounts to boutique optic houses. Grade 3-4 is normally for consumer and mass produced consumer optics and they may have a s/d ratio between 2-4 depending on usage.
Grade 2 is common for premium/ boutique optical houses (Astro Physics, TEC, Agema, AOM, CFF, Takahashi etc.)
and s/d ratio of 1-2.
We would all like to think that we have the best glass available in our refractors but seldom is it the case.

One issue I see happening a lot due to marketing, is that many people equate the term apochromatic with the quality of the product when it only refers to the colour correction. Three elements also do not make a apochromat!

Cost of FPL glass
Glass manufacturers base their cost on their cheapest glass which for O’Hara is S-BSL7 (Schott BK7)
If S-BSL7 cost is 1, then FPL-51 is 11x and FPL-53 is 18x more. So the Schott N-ZK7 is 54x the cost!!
Now the thing to understand is this is the price per kg with Grade 4 glass. As the grade and scratch/ dig ratio improve the price increases exponentially with aperture as well.
One example is the AOM 130/ 1200 FPL-51 doublet using grade 1 glass, the cost difference for the 160/ 1600 FPL-51 lens using grade 1 was 350%!!!

ED glass main function is to allow making a short focal length telescope. Used in longer focal lengths it eases the designers choices for mating elements and makes negating SA and other aberrations easier.
Telescopes can be made apochromatic using only standard glasses, even the ‘apo’ refractor that got Astro-Physics on the market had no ED glass in it.

If you have any questions let me know, I understand this wanders a bit but the morning caffeine has not kicked in yet.

So the eventual question is, how do you think SVBony can offer that size telescope at that price?
Gabrielle
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by chris_g »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:52 am So the eventual question is, how do you think SVBony can offer that size telescope at that price?
Thank you, very much! I followed fully with my first cup of coffee, now processing with my second cup! :)

A little bit more about the OTA, it's supposed to be an upgrade of their ED80, the coatings listed for that are SMC. They say nothing of the mating element and from what I've learned that one is what really decides the quality oi the scope.

So, most other triplets have two ED elements instead of one, most other triplets in the same category are made with FPL 53 instead of FPL 51. Don't know enough about what coatings SVBony uses, (may be SMC) and don't know anything about the mating element. Based on this knowledge, what we have here is a bargain basement triplet that should perform at least as well as my EveoStar Doublet, (uses the same glass).

So, to answer the question, no ma'am, they cannot.

So, my final question is a scope worth $600 plus more for those two specs? No, buy a Skywatcher EvoStar 100ED, and save $600 plus which does actually fall into the focal length I'm wanting, though I am not looking to buy at this time. :)

I like the company for their support and cameras, I like their toy OTAs for use as a guide scope. The quality of the coatings on the toy scope are good. If I were just getting into astrophotography and these scopes were available, I would probably have bought one then. Marketing aside, decent entry level scopes at a decent price. Know what you're buying...

Thank you again,
Clear Skies, Chris
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

chris_g wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:07 pm
Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:52 am So the eventual question is, how do you think SVBony can offer that size telescope at that price?
Thank you, very much! I followed fully with my first cup of coffee, now processing with my second cup! :)
Coffee is a great way to start the day!

A little bit more about the OTA, it's supposed to be an upgrade of their ED80, the coatings listed for that are SMC. They say nothing of the mating element and from what I've learned that one is what really decides the quality oi the scope.
Everyone likes to come up with a special name for their coatings but 99.9% of the time they the usual Magnesium Fluoride, the mating element will likely be some form of Lanthanum

So, most other triplets have two ED elements instead of one, most other triplets in the same category are made with FPL 53 instead of FPL 51. Don't know enough about what coatings SVBony uses, (may be SMC) and don't know anything about the mating element. Based on this knowledge, what we have here is a bargain basement triplet that should perform at least as well as my EvoStar Doublet, (uses the same glass).
The majority of triplets only use 1 ED element, the same with doublets. Their are a few triplets using 2 ED elements but is not common. ED elements when not specified could be FPL-51, 53, 55, FCD-1, 100, or FK-61. If they are going to use 51, 53 or 55 they will usually say. If they do not then it is likely they are using FCD-1, 100 or FK-61. Depending on the lens design and mating element(s) these will all produce good quality images so do not think one is superior to another.

So, to answer the question, no ma'am, they cannot.
Actually they can but it does not respect the consumer.

So, my final question is a scope worth $600 plus more for those two specs? No, buy a Skywatcher EvoStar 100ED, and save $600 plus which does actually fall into the focal length I'm wanting, though I am not looking to buy at this time. :)
The Skywatcher 100 f/9 is a very nice refractor even at the new higher price. I had one for a few years and enjoyed it.

I like the company for their support and cameras, I like their toy OTAs for use as a guide scope. The quality of the coatings on the toy scope are good. If I were just getting into astrophotography and these scopes were available, I would probably have bought one then. Marketing aside, decent entry level scopes at a decent price. Know what you're buying...
From reading on various NA and EU forums you were lucky as the general consensus is their costumer service still needs major improvement.
Absolutely nothing wrong with buying a decent beginners telescope at a good price. For quality per $/ € I would recommend looking at Bresser,
Teleskop-Service, APM or AstroTech, they are quite open about their optical packages and will provide extra information when asked.

Thank you again,
Clear Skies, Chris
Gabrielle
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

It is tricky to judge the scope just by the type of glass. Astrotech scopes have good reputation and they use FK-61 ED (FPL-51 equivalent). Pre COVID 127mm ES triplets were going for ~$1,500, also based on FPL-51 equivalent. Maybe SVBony pricing it aggressively to get marked share.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

For astrophotography there is now such an amazing toolset that you can probably get by with cheaper refractors. If you use filters it gets even better because software like PixInsight processes each filter separately and uses plate solving to make sure that the imaged objects of each color coincide at the exact same spot in the image, even when the refractor could have put them in different places. You could even get an achromat so long as you use filters. Software like BlurXTerminator will change blurry stars into pinpoint stars and will make the nebulosity pop. This blurring can be due to poor optics with deformations or poor tracking.

After using "honest" software like DSS and Gimp I switched to the dark side using PixInsight and BlurXTerminator. Not saying that the latter are "dishonest" but they use plate solving for correcting optical effects, and a library of images for AI learning that help improve the result. Some argue this is a step too far but hey, if the images are great, many might not care. Bottom line, unless you have top of the line equipment (mount and optics), using good processing tools blurs the distinction between cheap/beginner and medium/intermediate equipment.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:24 pm It is tricky to judge the scope just by the type of glass.
I agree Bigzmey though there are some basic parameters that can give a quite reasonable idea of how it should work.
Though I have refractors with OK-4, FPL-53 and Fluorite, my FK-61 doublet gives nothing up to them at all.

I had some down time at work today so read the CN thread about this telescope. 14 pages... so much stupid, so much cringe... :lol:
Even the SVBony page for this telescope has so much incorrect/ misleading and basic information missing.
Why do they keep comparing it to a 80 mm?? A apple to pineapple comparison, they must be the same as they both have apple in the name...
Gabrielle
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I agree Henk, Chris (Leveye) used to take great images with a Stellarvue 80mm Nighthawk. (astro and nightscape)
For the AP enthusiast, as you say there are many tools available but unfortunately not for the visual enthusiast.
Be it a achromat or apochromat we are at the mercy of the seller and what they are willing to pay the manufacturer to build.
Gabrielle