TSS Bi-monthly DSO Challenge for July/August 2023 - globular hunt

Place your submissions in the appropriate Topic.

Moderator: kt4hx

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Bi-monthly DSO Challenge for July/August 2023 - globular hunt

Post by kt4hx »

Once again it is time for a new TSS DSO Challenge! The last time out we dealt with the Messier galaxies within the Virgo Galaxy Cluster. After that galaxy overload, we shall slow down the pace a bit, with this edition being reminiscent of the “Globular Gallop” articles I wrote at the old astronomyforum.net site. I will present three globulars from each celestial hemisphere for your pursuit, whether your interests are inclined toward visual and/or sketching, or if you are more into imaging. All make worthwhile targets.

Summer observing can be challenging for northerner’s for various reasons, some of which include the lateness of astronomical darkness, heat and humidity, plus the profusion of biting insects that enjoy feasting upon our exposed skin. However, the beauty of the summer Milky Way arcing over our heads is often enough of a draw for folks to step outside despite the things that make it uncomfortable. Of course for those folks far enough north, it is unfortunately a time when full on astronomical darkness simply does not occur, causing them to take a hiatus from deep sky observing. Folks down south on the other hand have more darkness, but depending upon location may have to deal with weather issues and cloudiness. For sure there is always something waiting to rob us of our precious clear skies from time to time, plus the ever unpopular light pollution!

Anyway, let’s get on with the observing project I have for you during the months of July and August. I hope you enjoy pursuing these objects and as always, please share your experiences with us. We can all gain insight from one another’s experiences, as we pursue this most amazing pastime.

Northern Celestial Hemisphere

Messier 71 / NGC 6838 (Sagitta, globular cluster, mag=8.1, size=7.2’, SBr=12.1, class=11):
The little arrow constellation, Sagitta, is not one that is typically thought of as a deep sky treasure trove. Its main claim to fame is the fact that it lies directly within the main plain of the visual Milky Way band, and that it contains one Messier object. It is often easier to see from areas with moderate light pollution as its primary stars can be overwhelmed in darker areas by the brightness of the Milky Way plane in which it lies.

We will focus here on its one Messier object, the beautiful globular cluster M71. Discovered in 1745 by Philippe de Chéseaux, it was considered either a very dense open cluster or a very loose globular cluster. In the 1970s, study of the characteristics of its stellar population finally tipped the consensus to it being a very loose globular based on the stellar characteristics. It can be found a little over halfway and south of a line between mag 3.8 Delta and mag 3.5 Gamma Sagittae.

Initially it may be difficult discern within the rich star field, but pay close attention as it does present a rounded glowing knot of light against the backdrop of the Milky Way. It responds well to aperture increases of course, and don’t be afraid to apply some higher magnification. Because of its very loose structural character, it will appear pretty evenly illuminated across its face and will give up resolution of at least some of its stars without too much difficulty.

Messier 56 / NGC 6779 (Lyra, globular cluster, mag=8.3, size=7.1’, SBr=12.3, class=10):
Though the constellation Lyra is almost always equated with the amazing planetary nebula, M57, also known as the “Ring Nebula”, it is also home to numerous open clusters and a host of modestly bright to very dim galaxies. But one treat to be found there is this globular cluster. Charles Messier discovered this object in 1779. However, because of the limitations of his telescope he described it as a "nebula without stars, having little light." William Herschel also observed this object being the first (of record) to describe it as being resolved into stars while using high magnification, while using his 9-inch scope.

This cluster can be found about 4.5° southeast of mag 3.2 Gamma Lyrae (Sulafat) near the Cygnus border. In medium apertures (8 to 12 inch), this nice cluster can appear very grainy in texture, as if near some level of stellar resolution. There may be a few stars resolved across its face even at this aperture level. Its core may show very modest brightness, but it will appear evenly illuminated for the most part. As one increases aperture more and more resolution will be achieved, but with a stubborn pervasive haziness of unresolved stars.

I find this globular a bit of an unsung hero among its object class. It is overshadowed by the nearby planetary nebula M57, and though it sits in a rich stellar field, it doesn’t get as much attention as it deserves. So I hope it will pique your interest beyond simply completing your Messier list, and you will spend some time with this pretty cluster.

NGC 6760 (Aquila, globular cluster, mag=9.0, size=9.6’, SBr=13.6, class=9):
This small and fairly dim globular will challenge you a bit I suspect. Discovered in 1845 by John Hind, this is no showpiece by any stretch of the imagination. In medium apertures (8 to 12), one should see it as a small and round diffuse patch of light in a rich stellar field. As aperture is increased one may pick up a slight granular texture to its appearance but any resolution is very difficult to come by visually.

This object is located just over 4° southwest of mag 3.4 Delta Aquilae, where it forms a large (over 1° in extent) triangle with 21 Aquilae (mag 5.1) and 23 Aquilae (mag 5.2). The cluster holds down the southwestern corner of this pattern. Give this one a try, and don’t be afraid to push up the magnification a bit conditions permitting of course.

Southern Celestial Hemisphere

NGC 6723 (Sagittarius, globular cluster, mag=7.3, size=11.0’, SBr=12.2, class=7):
Sagittarius is of course stuffed full of globular clusters. One could throw a dart at a chart of the famed archer and stand a reasonable chance of hitting a globular! (smiley) It would be easy to spend a few evenings in this constellation chasing them and nothing else. Here we focus on this beautiful cluster that sits just north of the Sagittarius-Corona Australis border. This is a beautifully bright cluster that is readily apparent within its field. It will exhibit noticeable density and brightness within its central region, set within a thinner and sparse outer halo. Some modest resolution is certainly possible at medium aperture in the edges, with the main portion of the cluster becoming a bit mottled or granular to the eye. With its higher surface brightness it takes magnification well. As aperture increases, more resolution of its member stars in the outer portion becomes very evident, while some across the face of its brighter core also start to appear.

This beauty was discovered by James Dunlop in 1826 during his survey of the southern sky from Parramatta, New South Wales, His time spent in Australia was the first real deep telescopic study of the southern skies. It was an important precursor to the more extensive southern sky survey conducted by John Herschel from the Cape Territory in southern Africa by John Herschel, from January 1834 to February 1838. For this endeavor, Herschel dismantled and moved his father’s famous 18.7 inch reflector to conduct his search of the southern skies.

NGC 6441 (Scorpius, globular cluster, globular cluster, mag=7.4, size=7.8’, SBr=11.6, class=3):
I admit this is one of my favorite globular clusters. Not because it is showy or resolves deeply however. Rather I find its close proximity to the magnitude 3.2 star HD 161892 (sometimes listed as G Scorpii) to provide a beautiful visual contrast that is intriguing in the eyepiece. The star HD 161892 and NGC 6441 lie just over 3° east of the scorpion’s stinger stars mag 1.6 Lambda Scorpii (Shaula) and mag 2.6 Upsilon (Lesath), or just under 2.5° SSW of the outstanding and very popular target, open cluster Messier 7 (NGC 6475). Another James Dunlop discovery in 1826, he described it as "a small well-defined rather bright nebula.” John Herschel was able to achieve some modest resolution.

An interesting aside to this is that both Dunlop and Herschel mention the star just west of the cluster in their notes as Gamma Telescopii. That is because this star was once in Telescopium as it was originally plotted. However, in time the constellation borders were redrawn and the star that was once Gamma Telescopii then located in Scorpius and renamed G (Bayer designation) Scorpii.

This tight little ball of stars stands out next to the bright star G Scorpii in the eyepiece, though it is obviously not as bright overall. However, the aspect of it being a fuzzy little orb as opposed to a single stellar point draws one’s attention its way. One may pick up hints of the cluster’s presence even in a magnified optical finder scope under darker skies. Even small scopes will definitely tell you that this is not a pair of stars, but rather a star and a fuzzy knot of light. As one increases aperture, it reveals a very intensely bright core, and the cluster holds tight to its member stars as any resolution is extremely difficult to come by. Given its high surface brightness push the magnification up as much as possible, and you may be rewarded with some slight granulation in its outer most fringes. Give this curious little globular some observing time and enjoy the contrast between it and nearby G Scorpii.

NGC 6440 (Sagittarius, globular cluster, globular cluster, mag=9.1, size=5.4’, SBr=12.5, class=5):
We now return to Sagittarius to wrap up our targets for this edition. This globular is certainly not one of the brightest of its object type, and will be challenging for some. This cluster is significantly obscured by foreground dust within our galaxy, and thus its true brightness is reduced from our vantage point. Found in the northwestern quadrant of Sagittarius in a star rich field, it lies nearly 2.5° southwest of the open cluster Messier 23 (NGC 6494). William Herschel is the discoverer of this object, having first observed it in 1786.

In medium apertures (8 to 12 inch), one should notice its central region which gradually brightens to a noticeable core. However, any level of resolution will not likely be seen. In larger apertures one may begin to see a mottled or grainy texture, hinting at resolution being just out of reach.

While you have this object in the eyepiece, do look for a another DSO sharing the field at just over 21.5’ NNE of the cluster. The mag 11.2 planetary nebula NGC 6445 makes for a nice double treat here. The bi-polar planetary has a distinctive boxy shape within its 38.0”x29.0” visual envelope. Though I have seen this object sometimes listed as the Little Gem or the Box Nebula, I find the latter more appropriate given its boxy shape. Plus NGC 6818 in eastern Sagittarius is already well known as the Little Gem. That aside, I always find multiple objects in a shared field of view quite interesting, and I hope you will as well.

So there it is. You have the targets, you have the equipment and it is now up to you to find the desire and motivation to pursue! I encourage all to get out there and give these a try, even if you've seen them before. It never hurts to take a fresh look at something you've seen before. Why? Well you just never know, with a little closer study you just might notice something different this time around. Good luck and most importantly, have fun my friends. :icon-smile:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: TSS Bi-monthly DSO Challenge for July/August 2023 - globular hunt

Post by Graeme1858 »

Excellent list as always Alan! I'll be all over the Northern targets on the very next clear night.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:13 am Excellent list as always Alan! I'll be all over the Northern targets on the very next clear night.

Regards

Graeme

Thank you Graeme. I look forward to your images!
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
10538 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 10538 »

Hi Alan! Thanks for the excellent list of challenge objects. As much as I enjoy the bright and pretty DSOs I also enjoy adding a challenge object or two to my observing list. My last view of M71 in Sagitta was on Christmas night last year but I remember it looking more like an open cluster than a globular. Each time that I visit Lyra I always take the opportunity to view the small, but pretty and under rated glob M56. It lies in a beautiful star field as does M57. I just had a recent view back on June 17th. My advice, don’t view it immediately after M13 or M92. :D I don’t usually include Ngc6760 in Aquila on my observing list but I noted during a session last September that it was a small, sparse and fairly dim glob. I’ll have to give it another try soon I hope! Objects in my southern sky have to rise to at least 20 degrees to clear my southern observatory wall and NGC 6723 and 6441 never get high enough no matter how far north I set up my scope. NGC 6440 in Sagittarius always provides an interesting view with the large and bright planetary Ngc6445 in the FOV. I will definitely give these two objects a visit next time out. Alan I really appreciate the time and effort that you put into these challenges. I always look forward to comparing my notes with your observations although my simple descriptions cannot even begin to compare with yours!
Ed :Astronomer1:
Scopes: Orion 14 inch f/4.6 Dobsonian w/MoonLite focuser. Meade LX200 Classic 10”w/AudioStar and MoonLite focuser, Criterion RV6, Orion ST80A w/2” GSO micro focuser.
Eyepieces: ES 5.5mm 100*, 6.7mm 82*, 11mm 82*, 14mm 100*, 18mm 82*, 20mm 100*, Meade 9mm XWA 100*, 24mm UWA 82*, 56mm 50*, TV Delos 6,8 & 10mm, Panoptic 24, 27 & 35mm, 17mm Nagler, Powermate 2X, Baader 6mm Ortho, Paracorr II.
MISC: William Optics Binoviewer, Revolution 2 Imager, Orion Skyview Pro Mount, Skymaster 15x70, 20x70, 25x100 Binos, HoTech Collimator, Kendrick Dew System,Catsperch Chair.
Messier 110 Complete/ Messier 110 Sketches Complete / Herschel 400 Complete / H-2 and H-3 Complete
Bortle 3 Skies in Down Eastern NC
“Starlight, I hear you calling out to me so far away” Jeff Lynne ELO.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

10538 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:46 pm Hi Alan! Thanks for the excellent list of challenge objects. As much as I enjoy the bright and pretty DSOs I also enjoy adding a challenge object or two to my observing list. My last view of M71 in Sagitta was on Christmas night last year but I remember it looking more like an open cluster than a globular. Each time that I visit Lyra I always take the opportunity to view the small, but pretty and under rated glob M56. It lies in a beautiful star field as does M57. I just had a recent view back on June 17th. My advice, don’t view it immediately after M13 or M92. :D I don’t usually include Ngc6760 in Aquila on my observing list but I noted during a session last September that it was a small, sparse and fairly dim glob. I’ll have to give it another try soon I hope! Objects in my southern sky have to rise to at least 20 degrees to clear my southern observatory wall and NGC 6723 and 6441 never get high enough no matter how far north I set up my scope. NGC 6440 in Sagittarius always provides an interesting view with the large and bright planetary Ngc6445 in the FOV. I will definitely give these two objects a visit next time out. Alan I really appreciate the time and effort that you put into these challenges. I always look forward to comparing my notes with your observations although my simple descriptions cannot even begin to compare with yours!

Hi Ed, and thank you so much for your comments. We all appreciate your experienced observations of these objects. Since you enjoy a good challenge, I will pass along a good one for you. That would be the globular NGC 6749 in Aquila. And yes, I know that catalogue designation off the top of my head and didn't have to look it up! :lol:

Anyway, this globular has the reputation of being one of the most difficult if not the most difficult of the NGC globular clusters. This dim bugger is a challenge for a couple of reasons. First it has no central concentration thus its light is spread evenly over its angular dimension rather than having a brighter core. Second it is highly obscured by intervening dust. Since you like a challenge my friend, there it is, and good luck if you accept the challenge - or have you already completed it? :icon-smile:

Here is my only observation of it from five years ago with the 17.5 inch:

NGC 6749 (Aquila, globular cluster, mag=12.4, size=6.3’, SBr=16.1, class=12):

This visually weak cluster was initially difficult to pick up at 110x. Studying the field for a bit I could finally discern a diaphanous concentration of light with a few brighter distracting stars near its perimeter. I got a sense that it was a bit out of round, but this may have been illusory due to the proximity of the field stars drawing the eye outward. This dim concentration was easier to see as my eye relaxed and adjusted to the field. I also viewed it at 141x and 180x and while easier to discern, it most certainly could be overlooked if one were not specifically targeting it. Being a class 12 globular, its core had no concentration and thus it was quite homogenous and ghostly in appearance.
Alan

Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 10538 »

Hi Alan! Wow! I’m probably biting off more than I can chew but I can’t turn down a challenge! That sounds like it’s going to be very difficult but the next opportunity I have to observe it I will make it my top priority. I took a look at my observing log for Aquila and I don’t have it listed that I have ever viewed it. I also checked the Herschel books I, II & III and I can’t find it listed there either so it would be a first for me. I can tell from your description that it’s going to be fun! :lol: :Astronomer1: :confusion-shrug:
Scopes: Orion 14 inch f/4.6 Dobsonian w/MoonLite focuser. Meade LX200 Classic 10”w/AudioStar and MoonLite focuser, Criterion RV6, Orion ST80A w/2” GSO micro focuser.
Eyepieces: ES 5.5mm 100*, 6.7mm 82*, 11mm 82*, 14mm 100*, 18mm 82*, 20mm 100*, Meade 9mm XWA 100*, 24mm UWA 82*, 56mm 50*, TV Delos 6,8 & 10mm, Panoptic 24, 27 & 35mm, 17mm Nagler, Powermate 2X, Baader 6mm Ortho, Paracorr II.
MISC: William Optics Binoviewer, Revolution 2 Imager, Orion Skyview Pro Mount, Skymaster 15x70, 20x70, 25x100 Binos, HoTech Collimator, Kendrick Dew System,Catsperch Chair.
Messier 110 Complete/ Messier 110 Sketches Complete / Herschel 400 Complete / H-2 and H-3 Complete

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

10538 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:12 pm Hi Alan! Wow! I’m probably biting off more than I can chew but I can’t turn down a challenge! That sounds like it’s going to be very difficult but the next opportunity I have to observe it I will make it my top priority. I took a look at my observing log for Aquila and I don’t have it listed that I have ever viewed it. I also checked the Herschel books I, II & III and I can’t find it listed there either so it would be a first for me. I can tell from your description that it’s going to be fun! :lol: :Astronomer1: :confusion-shrug:

Good deal Ed! I look forward to hearing about your attempts. You definitely want good transparency and you can't go too high in magnification or it will wash out in the Milky Way field. I know Andrey picked it up in his C8, so its just one of those that require careful study of the field to allow your eye time to adjust to the view.

John Herschel is credited (in some sources) as the discoverer in 1827. However, his position is not accurate nor is his description. Based on what I've read, he was describing more of a rich knot in the Milky Way field and not the heavily obscured cluster. Guillaume Bigourdan is also credited with discovery in 1891, however, there seems to be some discrepancy in his descriptions as well. Actual discovery seems more likely in 1965 by Arthur Setteducati and Harold Weaver, who catalogued it as Berkeley 42. So even though this object was included in the NGC from the original "discoveries", it seems very likely that the earlier observers truly did not actually see the cluster. And it was not actually detected until 1965 despite already being in the NGC. I find all that history quite fascinating! :icon-smile:
Alan

Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 10538 »

I’m very excited to give it a try Alan. A night with good transparency might be difficult with all the humidity and storms rolling through lately. We have some moonless nights coming up so I’m hoping for a clear night. I thought I would start with my 14mm 100 degree ES @118x and see if I can pick it up. I’ve found most of my galaxies with that eyepiece. Your notes are very helpful since now I know what I’m looking for and knowing Andrey picked it up in his C8 makes me feel a bit better. You certainly know as well as I it’s all about sky conditions and a little bit of experience. You know, just for the fun of it maybe some of the more experienced observers should ask you for a special challenge object. You can bet that I’ll be asking you for another one my friend. :clap:

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Thank you Ed and good luck. I know how it is in this general region in terms of summer transparency. At least with Aquila, it does hang around for a while and even if one has to wait until things start cooling a bit in late summer/early autumn, it should be available.

I have considered tossing in a tough nut from time to time to challenge the more experienced among us. Unfortunately, this series does not seem to get a lot of attention from the general membership. At least not outwardly. It is quite possible more people are attempting these objects but simply not posting any comments. At least I hope that is the case rather than general apathy. :icon-smile:
Alan

Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 10538 »

Thanks Alan. You’re exactly right on possibly having to wait for cooler weather but I’ll give it a try next time out.
I need to start doing a better job of posting my reports since I’m almost fully retired now I have a bit more time. I would very much like to see more reports from visual observers.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

10538 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:38 pm Thanks Alan. You’re exactly right on possibly having to wait for cooler weather but I’ll give it a try next time out.
I need to start doing a better job of posting my reports since I’m almost fully retired now I have a bit more time. I would very much like to see more reports from visual observers.

Glad to hear you are almost retired now. I look forward to your reports when you are able to do so. You are a very experienced observer and your contributions will be most welcome indeed Ed.
Alan

scribbly Australia
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by scribbly »

Thanks Alan,
as you might suspect from my observation report that you commented on, I have managed to complete the southern hemisphere challenge, over a couple of nights (using your own obs report and the obs list from Stephen O'Meara - Southern Gems).
For those following this post a summary:

NGC6723. 21/7/23 with TSA120 and 14mm EP @ 64x. Reasonably bright with the core appearing large to me, with a mottled appearance and a few individual stars (not sure if foreground or resolved).
NGC 6441 21/7/23 with TSA120 @ 64x. Quite bright core, mottled in appearance. overall small-medium in size. G Scorpii not in the FoV, though had I known I probably could have swapped EPs.
NGC6440 16/7/23 with Mewlon 180 and 14mm EP - small dim, with a slightly brighter (though still low dim). Visually similar to a small galaxy. NGC 6445 (PN) also observed, and on 21/7/23 with the TSA120 with both objects in the same FoV.

I have had much fun and several enjoyable nights, much with the help of Alan.
Phil
Telescopes: Takahashi TSA120; Genstar 10" (Barry Arnold optics), Skywatcher ST80 (guide)
Eyepieces: Televue Nagler 7/11/22mm, Takahashi LE50mm, Denkmieir 14mm, Andrews (Moonfish) 30mm
Cameras: Canon EOS RP, Player One Neptune-C II Planetary (IMX464), QHY Polemaster
Lenses: Canon 300mm F4 L, Tamron 24-70mm G2 F2.8, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Rokinon 8mm
Mounts: Losmandy G11G, Skywatcher Star Adventurer I PRO
Binoculars: Bushnell Forge ED 10x42

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

scribbly wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:48 am Thanks Alan,
as you might suspect from my observation report that you commented on, I have managed to complete the southern hemisphere challenge, over a couple of nights (using your own obs report and the obs list from Stephen O'Meara - Southern Gems).

NGC6723. 21/7/23 with TSA120 and 14mm EP @ 64x. Reasonably bright with the core appearing large to me, with a mottled appearance and a few individual stars (not sure if foreground or resolved).
NGC 6441 21/7/23 with TSA120 @ 64x. Quite bright core, mottled in appearance. overall small-medium in size. G Scorpii not in the FoV, though had I known I probably could have swapped EPs.
NGC6440 16/7/23 with Mewlon 180 and 14mm EP - small dim, with a slightly brighter (though still low dim). Visually similar to a small galaxy. NGC 6445 (PN) also observed, and on 21/7/23 with the TSA120 with both objects in the same FoV.

Phil

Very well done Phil. Excellent observations and notes. I envy you your perspective from down under on these objects. The farthest south I've observed is from 5° south. So while I gained a impression of what it is like below my normal horizon, it was not as deep south as I would have liked! Maybe one of these days (nights) I can get farther south and to a darker location where I can truly enjoy the wonders of the southern sky. Best wishes and keep up the good work.
Alan

scribbly Australia
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by scribbly »

kt4hx wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:39 pm
scribbly wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:48 am Thanks Alan,

Phil

Very well done Phil. Excellent observations and notes. I envy you your perspective from down under on these objects. The farthest south I've observed is from 5° south. So while I gained a impression of what it is like below my normal horizon, it was not as deep south as I would have liked! Maybe one of these days (nights) I can get farther south and to a darker location where I can truly enjoy the wonders of the southern sky. Best wishes and keep up the good work.
Alan, we have the same challenge with observing North. I have a few times travelled to our tropics but usually only with an ST80. A couple of years ago, like you looking south, I got an impression of M51, and though wow, if only.....
Look forward to your next challenge, and I have so enjoyed my GC journey this month. Back to lunar observing for a couple of weeks as the moon waxes > 30%.
Telescopes: Takahashi TSA120; Genstar 10" (Barry Arnold optics), Skywatcher ST80 (guide)
Eyepieces: Televue Nagler 7/11/22mm, Takahashi LE50mm, Denkmieir 14mm, Andrews (Moonfish) 30mm
Cameras: Canon EOS RP, Player One Neptune-C II Planetary (IMX464), QHY Polemaster
Lenses: Canon 300mm F4 L, Tamron 24-70mm G2 F2.8, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Rokinon 8mm
Mounts: Losmandy G11G, Skywatcher Star Adventurer I PRO
Binoculars: Bushnell Forge ED 10x42

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

scribbly wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:49 pm Alan, we have the same challenge with observing North. I have a few times travelled to our tropics but usually only with an ST80. A couple of years ago, like you looking south, I got an impression of M51, and though wow, if only.....
Look forward to your next challenge, and I have so enjoyed my GC journey this month. Back to lunar observing for a couple of weeks as the moon waxes > 30%.

Glad you enjoyed it Phil. I will see what I can come up with next time around for you. I totally agree, there is an allure to objects that lie just out of reach to us normally. So when we do have an opportunity to peer beyond our normal horizon, it is a special thing, and we try to see as much as we possibly can knowing that our access to those objects is limited.

Enjoy your lunar observing. That is not so much my thing, but I did have a chance to look at it with some family members the past couple of evenings. We all truly enjoyed the view.
Alan

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

We had clear skies last Sunday night so I had a go at the Northern targets. I'm still struggling with my mount since taking it out of storage. It slews ok and tracks but there's a problem with guiding on the Dec axis and it fails to complete a calibration. So I slewed to M71 and plate solved the cluster into the centre of the screen. The guiding was at 1.5 - 1.8 Total but I was able to capture 10 x 120 sec images.

M71.jpg

The cluster looks more like a faint, well populated open cluster than a globular with only 20 minutes of data, but the almost parallel two rows of stars looked familiar.

Then I turned to M56. Once in the centre of the screen I set NINA up to capture 30 x 2 minute frames.

M56.JPG

The flat frames don't appear to have calibrated the images so I didn't bother to finish the processing. But the brightest cluster stars stand out from the background stars to show an asymmetrical core.

After getting set up to go for 30 x 2 minute frames on NGC 6760, the humidity had risen to high 90s so I shut down and called it a night. We'll have to save this one for another night!

A very well put together challenge Alan, as always.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:28 am We had clear skies last Sunday night so I had a go at the Northern targets. I'm still struggling with my mount since taking it out of storage. It slews ok and tracks but there's a problem with guiding on the Dec axis and it fails to complete a calibration. So I slewed to M71 and plate solved the cluster into the centre of the screen. The guiding was at 1.5 - 1.8 Total but I was able to capture 10 x 120 sec images.

M71.jpg

The cluster looks more like a faint, well populated open cluster than a globular with only 20 minutes of data, but the almost parallel two rows of stars looked familiar.

Then I turned to M56. Once in the centre of the screen I set NINA up to capture 30 x 2 minute frames.

M56.JPG

The flat frames don't appear to have calibrated the images so I didn't bother to finish the processing. But the brightest cluster stars stand out from the background stars to show an asymmetrical core.

After getting set up to go for 30 x 2 minute frames on NGC 6760, the humidity had risen to high 90s so I shut down and called it a night. We'll have to save this one for another night!

A very well put together challenge Alan, as always.

Regards

Graeme

Well done Graeme, in spite of your drive issues. Indeed, M71 does look like a rich open cluster. As I mentioned already, its true nature as a globular really wasn't confirmed until the 1970s. I hope you are able to get your drive issues resolved so its not as much of a fight for you.
Alan