Post your Lunar images here.
astroavani Brazil
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0
Location: Cidade de Canoas, Estado do Rio GRande do Sul, Brazil

TSS Photo of the Day

The Hills of Marius

Post by astroavani »

Anyone who looks at this photo and sees the beauty of Marius crater and its surroundings doesn't even notice the Herodotus Omega dome, in fact most of us put deep sky observation on hold when lunar glare intrudes on dark skies. But why, instead of limiting your telescope, don't you take the opportunity to observe the Moon itself? The waxing moon phase is a good time to familiarize yourself with one of our satellite's most evocative features: its domes.
Many of the Moon's characteristic landscapes were created by the impact. Craters, rays, mountain ranges, seas and basins abound. Lunar domes are different. They formed as a result of the Moon's own internal volcanism. Similar to shield volcanoes in Iceland and Hawaii (including Mauna Kea on the Big Island) and Olympus Mons on Mars, they form when highly fluid lava erupts through a central caldera on the surface. They are almost all low-explosive, unlike their cousins, Earth's more violent stratovolcanoes that grab headlines.
Like sheet after sheet piled up after lava seeps beneath the crust, a dome slowly builds up over time, forming a wide, gently sloping mound resembling a warrior's shield with a raised center and lower edge. Shield volcanoes can be small, like the Icelandic and lunar varieties, or wide and huge, like Olympus Mons. A typical lunar dome measures between 5 and 7.5 miles (8-12 km) in diameter with a peak or caldera ~900 feet (~300 meters) high. The slopes are very gentle with only a few degrees.
The Marius Hills region was volcanically very active in the past and contains numerous volcanic features, including winding riles north of Marius, as well as numerous hills that are actually domes and can be seen quite clearly in my photo.
In this region there is also a well, probably a cave that was identified for the first time in images from the SELENE/Kaguya probe, which I already described in another post on AstroBin, and can be found here: https://www.astrobin .com/322549/?q=Marius.%20astroavani
More than 300 lunar domes are known, many visible in amateur telescopes with apertures from 3 inches upwards. There are two key requirements for good observation of a dome - good atmospheric stability (seeing) and observing the dome near the terminator shortly after lunar sunrise or before sunset as was done in this photo with the Domes of Marius and Herodotus Omega, this one being particularly easy to identify with good seeing even with a small telescope, as it is 10 km wide and has a hole in the center
Most domes are subtle, low-contrast features that become scorching with poor seeing. Low light casts long shadows on crater peaks and rims, and makes their gently sloping shapes have the best contrast. You will be more excited when you can see the caldera. When you see the dome hole, you really see a dome for what it is: a formerly active volcano in the days when the moon still had intense geological activity.
The next time you go to observe the Moon near the terminator, do not forget to pay attention to those rounded shapes that easily stand out in relation to the surrounding terrain, do not forget that one day the Moon had its active volcanoes and even today it is far away of being the dead world that many believe.
Scopes: Celestron C14 Edge, Celestron C9,25 XLT
Mounting: Celestron CGE PRO, Celestron CG5 Advanced
Cameras: ASI 290MC, ASI 178MM
Accessories: Tele Vue Powermate 2X, Baader L filter, Baader IR Pass 610 and 685, Astronomik IR Pass 742, Tele Vue Binovue, various orthoscopic eyepieces
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: The Hills of Marius

Post by messier 111 »

you are absolutely right, since my acquisition of my new ts 125 mm I have started to look at the moon waiting for my favorite objects from the sky to reappear.
jupiter , saturn , mars and m42 .
thx for this reminder and for the information.
nice picture, thx.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Beautiful capture astroavani!

And an awesome write up of the area.
I love Lunar observing, growing up next to New York City DSOs were a bit hard to observe.

We spent a lot of time on the rooftop at my friend's NYC apartment building, we would actually camp up there with a tent and a fire pit observing miss Luna! :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Hi Avani,
Fabulous image and I just nominated it for a TSS POTD.
Cheers
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
scribbly Australia
Moon Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by scribbly »

Hi Avani,

wow, and to use the vernacular of those much younger than me, ..."that is totally wicked". Fabulous, and thank you for sharing.

Phil
Telescopes: Takahashi TSA120; Genstar 10" (Barry Arnold optics), Skywatcher ST80 (guide)
Eyepieces: Televue Nagler 7/11/22mm, Takahashi LE50mm, Denkmieir 14mm, Andrews (Moonfish) 30mm
Cameras: Canon EOS RP, Player One Neptune-C II Planetary (IMX464), QHY Polemaster
Lenses: Canon 300mm F4 L, Tamron 24-70mm G2 F2.8, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Rokinon 8mm
Mounts: Losmandy G11G, Skywatcher Star Adventurer I PRO
Binoculars: Bushnell Forge ED 10x42
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

Congratulations Avani for having your image selected as our TSS APOD!

https://theskysearchers.com/app.php/art ... of-the-day
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Simply wonderful image Avani!
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Congratulations Avani for the well deserved APOD!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Beautiful image Avanti! As usual!

Congratulations on the apod!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Looking at that, I feel like I'm approaching for a landing... Stunning image; the contrast is fantastic! Congrats on the well-deserved APOD :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great image and discussion, Avanti! I'm an advocate of lunar observing!! I never miss an opportunity to check it out.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Excellent Astrovani !!! And Congrats on the APOD!!!
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
astroavani Brazil
Mars Ambassador
Location: Cidade de Canoas, Estado do Rio GRande do Sul, Brazil

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by astroavani »

Thank you for the APOD and especially for the comments of all colleagues!
Scopes: Celestron C14 Edge, Celestron C9,25 XLT
Mounting: Celestron CGE PRO, Celestron CG5 Advanced
Cameras: ASI 290MC, ASI 178MM
Accessories: Tele Vue Powermate 2X, Baader L filter, Baader IR Pass 610 and 685, Astronomik IR Pass 742, Tele Vue Binovue, various orthoscopic eyepieces
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Unitron48 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:22 pm Great image and discussion, Avanti! I'm an advocate of lunar observing!! I never miss an opportunity to check it out.

Dave
Congrats on your well deserved APOD.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein