Health update

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Health update

Post by KathyNS »

Some of you may remember that I had a really bad case of pneumonia last year. I recovered, but not to 100%, so today, I had an appointment with a respirologist to discuss my case.

The bad news: this is as good as it's going to get. The good news: I am lucky to be alive!

It started as a cold that became a bad cold. My wife noticed that I was having a hard time catching my breath climbing stairs. The final straw was when the power went out (winter storm) and I went outside to start the generator. Luckily for me it started on the first pull, because I didn't have a second pull in me. As soon as our neighbours could plow our driveway for us, they called an ambulance for me. That led to three weeks in hospital, IV antibiotics, a collapsed lung, all kinds of tests, more antibiotics, and then a slow recovery at home.

Today, the respirologist showed me a recent CT scan of my lungs. As I figured, the left one is okay. The right lung shows a lot of scar tissue. My guess of 50% capacity on that side is probably fairly close. Then she showed me a CT scan from when I was in hospital. Holy crap! The right lung back then was a solid mass of white, indicating basically no air in it at all, just fluid and infection. It was the first time I had seen those images.

As she put it, without the IV antibiotics, I would be dead. It was a remarkable recovery, she said.

So, I just have to learn to pace myself. The muscles may be willing, but if the lungs say to slow down my pace, I need to listen. Keep my covid shots up to date, and stay as fit and active as I can.

It makes me grateful for what I have, and thankful for the people who pulled me through. Don'\t take good health for granted!
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Health update

Post by SkyHiker »

Very sorry to hear that Kathy. I hope your lungs will recover to the maximum of their ability and that it will stay that way. Maybe some long walks or hikes can help you recover, it works wonders for me.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Yes Kathy, many of us take our health for granted, wishing you a speedy recovery.
Stay strong!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for letting us know.
It’s good to hear you’re doing well and dealing with the situation. Yes, pneumonia is terrible.

Take care and keep well.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

I am happy to know that you are better, we want you here for a very long time.
take care of yourself.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Thanks, all.
SkyHiker wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:31 pm Maybe some long walks or hikes can help you recover, it works wonders for me.
I am walking 4 km per day. I can walk much longer, but only if I keep the pace slow enough. I do intend to stay as active as I can. But the news today is that that will just keep me at the status quo. She told me not to expect further improvement.

As they say, getting old sucks, but it beats the heck out of the alternative. :lol:
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Pneumonia is a serious issue, glad that you managed to beat it! All those scars we gather makes life tougher, but as you say still much better than the alternative.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Kathy. It seems you are taking a realistic approach to living to the fullest with the diminished capacity. Keep walking and stay active.

My Mom used to say that "getting old isn't for sissies" and I am learning what she meant now.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by starfield »

Hi Kathy, How scary. Glad to hear you are back on your feet able to get back out hiking. Take care --Steve
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Thank you for the update Kathy.

You have both been through a very traumatic time, but the medical treatments and therapies you received have got you through it.

You are discovering your physical limitations now, but hopefully you can still enjoy life in the fullest way possible.

Take care Kathy.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Sounds like you are feeling somewhat better besides the lingering effects, hopefully things will continue to improve.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

Really shocked to read this as was unaware of your pneumonia.

It sounds like you had a narrow escape thanks to modern medicine.

I know what it is like to have breathing issues as been an asthmatic all my life. As l get older l find walking upstairs even puts me out of breath and l certainly can’t walk up hill without getting breathless snd having to stop.

It is scary when you suddenly have to deal with something you didn't have to before.

Carole
Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

You are right about getting old. Now you know your limits so try to keep within them!

Glad to hear you are feeling better!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Kathy. Sorry to read about your pneumonia health issues but I am glad that you are properly dealing with it. Part of getting old is budgeting your energy and monitoring your condition regularly. Thanks for your health update Kathy and all of us hope that you continue to feel better.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Kathy, a little late on this but hope you're doing better!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

Wow. Congrats on making it through all that. Please take good care of yourself as you continue to heal.
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Hello Kathy, sorry to hear how bad you've been. Glad to hear you're improving. Proper ill is like a cricket bat whacking you unexpected from behind when you're not looking. I hope your lungs continue to clear up.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Chich »

Sorry to hear of you troubles. Modern medicine is wonderful. I would not be here either were it not for advances that have rendered conditions that were terminal back in my younger times treatable now.
We shall have to form a Royal Society of Bullet Dodgers :P
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Chich wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:18 amRoyal Society of Bullet Dodgers
Ha-ha! I love it!
CharLakeAstro Canada
Earth Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by CharLakeAstro »

Kathy
Be well, take care, and keep on keeping on. Looking fwd to seeing many more of your images from the new place