Building ROR Observatory. Roof design question

Discuss your home observatory!
ScopeJunkie United States of America
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Building ROR Observatory. Roof design question

Post by ScopeJunkie »

I’ve done a lot of research and purchased SkyShed plans to help me design my observatory. I still have one question that seems to generate a variety of responses…. What high wind precautions should I take in regards to the Roll Off Roof?
The answers range from “J channels” to turnbuckles and everything in between. I obviously plan on using turnbuckles when the roof is in the closed position. My primary concern is while opening it, should there be some type of safeguard in place to protect against an unexpected gust of wind knocking the roof off track? Lastly, I’ve decided to use a set of turnbuckles to anchor the roof while it’s open too. Is that overkill? I know I’ll never be using my telescope if there’s a chance of a storm, but I still feel better knowing it’s anchored while it’s in the open position, as well as closed. Thanks
Sky United States of America
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Building ROR Observatory. Roof design question

Post by Sky »

ScopeJunkie wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:58 am
What high wind precautions should I take in regards to the Roll Off Roof?

The answers range from “J channels” to turnbuckles and everything in between. I obviously plan on using turnbuckles when the roof is in the closed position. My primary concern is while opening it, should there be some type of safeguard in place to protect against an unexpected gust of wind knocking the roof off track? Lastly, I’ve decided to use a set of turnbuckles to anchor the roof while it’s open too. Is that overkill? I know I’ll never be using my telescope if there’s a chance of a storm, but I still feel better knowing it’s anchored while it’s in the open position, as well as closed. Thanks

I built my garage-top RoR observatory 23 years ago. I use 4 turnbuckles to lock down the roof when not in use and nothing when it's open. I live on a ridge overlooking Lake Erie and strong winds coming off the lake are a fairly normal weather condition. I don't think I've ever had the observatory open for imaging when the winds were much stronger than 15 MPH and I use flip-up wind blocking screens in those conditions. The winds would have to be much stronger than that for any chance to lift off the roof and I certainly wouldn't think of opening up under those conditions.

Adding turnbuckles to lock down roof when it's open isn't a bad idea. It would certainly give you some additional "peace of mind." I think I'll go out to my observatory and figure out a way to completely secure the roof when it's open.

Thanks for your post ... and the idea to secure the observatory roof when it's open.

OrbitJet Observatory
https://www.flickr.com/photos/27684115@ ... 177074161/
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Building ROR Observatory. Roof design question

Post by JayTee »

The other more complicated answer is to calculate the weight of the roof then treat it as a lifting body. Do the math as to how much force it takes to lift that roof and then apply that to the wind strength. Now you know how windy it should be to not open the roof.

Cheers,
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."