TSS Bi-Monthly DSO Challenge for May/June 2023 - Hunting the Messier galaxies in the Virgo Galaxy Cluster

Place your submissions in the appropriate Topic.

Moderator: kt4hx

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Re: TSS Bi-Monthly DSO Challenge for May/June 2023 - Hunting the Messier galaxies in the Virgo Galaxy Cluster

Post by kt4hx »

Very nice images Graeme, and truly appreciate you posting them. M100 is gorgeous with lots of spiral detail clearly evident. Plus the bonus galaxies of NGC 4312, NGC 4328, MCG 3-32-13 (sometimes erroneously listed as IC 783A) and MCG 3-32-11.

The M85 image is also a nice one, and as you point out clearly shows the form of an elliptical in the same view as the delicate spiral structure of NGC 4394. Then you also have the dim little presence of IC 3292 in there as well. The one thing I am trying to figure out, is what is that stellar presence just left of the core of M85, well within the galactic disk? What exact date/time did you image M85, as I would like to try and track down what that object is, since my Sky Tools 4 does not show a foreground star at that position relative to the galactic core.

Well done!
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: TSS Bi-Monthly DSO Challenge for May/June 2023 - Hunting the Messier galaxies in the Virgo Galaxy Cluster

Post by Graeme1858 »

Cheers Alan

That's a fine eye for detail you have there! The M85 subs were taken on the morning of 11/06/23 between 00:32 and 00:56 BST. The star you mention is visible in all the subs. It is shown in Stellarium but it's part of the M85 image so is not in the star database.

The Astrometry.net annotated output doesn't help much:

Screenshot 2023-06-15 214007.png
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Thanks Graeme. Well the star does not show up in Sky Tools 4 Pro as I mentioned. However, I've seen it in older images of M85. From the notes of noted visual observer Steve Gottlieb, and also an article in Sky & Telescope about the SN 2020nlb in M85, the star in your image is 13.1 mag though I don't have a catalogue designation. I observed that SN back in July of 2020 when it was about mag 12.2, but in my notes I did not mention this other star, which seems out of character for me! I would have to guess that I must've seen it, but because I was so focused on the SN within M85 that I simply didn't mention it in my notes. Next time I visit M85 I will take a look for it however. :icon-smile:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)