KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

A couple of skycam grabs of last night's aurora

Post by KathyNS »

It was the best display of aurora borealis in recent memory. After hearing the buzz about it online, I went outside to view it. It was quite spectacular to the naked eye, being quite visible (in shades of gray) even with surrounding ground-based lights. It was late and my bed was calling, so I didn't set up a camera to record it, but my skycam was running and recorded some spectacular frames (in low-res) both before and after the fog and dew rolled in.

The first image was early in the night, when the sky was clear. The second image was later, after the fog had rolled in, and through dew on the camera dome. But almost all the light in the image is from the aurora; there were no ground-based lights.
aurora 1.png
aurora 2.png
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: A couple of skycam grabs of last night's aurora

Post by Makuser »

Hi Kathy. A nice pair of skycam images of the aurora borealis display. Even with the fog and dew you still came away with nice colorful captures. Thanks for sharing these with us Kathy as here is Florida I don't get to see these beautiful displays light I did when we lived in Illinois.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>