Discuss Astrophysics.
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Faster than light ???

Post by Gmetric »

Sabine has something to say about it.

If you need a refresher on the Higgs field, boson and mechanism see the videos below in order of ease.

This link give a brief explanation of the mass defect and binding energy

http://ne.phys.kyushu-u.ac.jp/seminar/M ... mass_E.htm

And Just for clarity, when she refers to the condensed Higgs field and condensate, I believe she is referring to the vacuum expectation value VEV
See here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_ ... tion_value

For the Higgs field see here

https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_field

And the videos - the second has a good explanation of VEV

Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
Mount: Sky-Explorer HEQ 5 belt driven
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Faster than light ???

Post by helicon »

Thanks Arry. Pretty cool stuff
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Lots to go through, thank you for the links Arry :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

I can't compete with Dr. Hossenfelder on knowledge of relativity, but I'm not (yet) persuaded that her argument against the veracity of the customary paradox involving special relativity and causality being violated by faster-than-light communication of information (thereby excluding FTL communication) is correct. Over short distances (mere handfuls of light years, heh!) mostly-empty space is pretty darn nearly flat. It seems to me that the paradox can be legitimately evaluated within such a context, in which case arguments from special relativity alone (i.e., ignoring gravity and the universe's background frame of matter) should be valid. Well, I suspect we'll hear more about this later, as genuine theorists offer their thoughts. I miss NFA.
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
ThinkerX United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by ThinkerX »

That is an interesting dodge. Whether that dodge can work with QM is another matter.

Were he still with us, Fritz would likely have some...interesting...comments.

That said, I posted a bit of speculation here in times past about negating the 'strong attractive force' in a microscopically small area and using the energy (not far shy of a matter/anti-matter reaction) to power a slower than light starship.
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

AntennaGuy wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:08 pm I can't compete with Dr. Hossenfelder on knowledge of relativity, but I'm not (yet) persuaded that her argument against the veracity of the customary paradox involving special relativity and causality being violated by faster-than-light communication of information (thereby excluding FTL communication) is correct. Over short distances (mere handfuls of light years, heh!) mostly-empty space is pretty darn nearly flat. It seems to me that the paradox can be legitimately evaluated within such a context, in which case arguments from special relativity alone (i.e., ignoring gravity and the universe's background frame of matter) should be valid. Well, I suspect we'll hear more about this later, as genuine theorists offer their thoughts. I miss NFA.
Thanks for your input :) FWIW, and without further investigation, I’m with you and need further persuasion. I think we all miss nFA. What we need is another retired resident expert who has the time to go through all this stuff. I’m sadly not a genuine theorist nor do I have enough time to post deeply thoughtful or insightful posts, at the moment. Sorry about that.

This is her intitial backreaction post about it in 2020
http://backreaction.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... e.html?m=1
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

That's a really weird mix of special relativity, philosophy and Higgs stuff that I know nothing about. Relativity and quantum fields still don't mix very well AFAIK.

In GR, observing object that move away from us faster than the speed of light is not abnormal. Objects that were 46 Gly away at t=0 are now crossing the particle horizon at a recession velocity 3 times the speed of light, and we observe them with near-infinite redshift. That is in a flat ΛCDM universe. Gödel cooked up a model of the universe where time travels in circles, you can arrive before you left. So, in GR there are much weirder things possible than with inertial frames in SR.

This is nitpicking a bit, Sabine presents it in a very nice way of course but I don't think I'm going to watch that video a second time.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

SkyHiker wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:37 am That's a really weird mix of special relativity, philosophy and Higgs stuff that I know nothing about. Relativity and quantum fields still don't mix very well AFAIK.

In GR, observing object that move away from us faster than the speed of light is not abnormal. Objects that were 46 Gly away at t=0 are now crossing the particle horizon at a recession velocity 3 times the speed of light, and we observe them with near-infinite redshift. That is in a flat ΛCDM universe. Gödel cooked up a model of the universe where time travels in circles, you can arrive before you left. So, in GR there are much weirder things possible than with inertial frames in SR.

This is nitpicking a bit, Sabine presents it in a very nice way of course but I don't think I'm going to watch that video a second time.
Can’t say much at the moment as I’m on lunch and am at work. But, as always, thanks for your input, Henk. If I understand you right, I think we can but you in the “need more persuasion” camp along with AntennaGuy and myself?
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

Gmetric wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:22 am Can’t say much at the moment as I’m on lunch and am at work. But, as always, thanks for your input, Henk. If I understand you right, I think we can but you in the “need more persuasion” camp along with AntennaGuy and myself?
Yup. But don't ask me, what do I know. I finally understand GR and cosmology to some intermediate level.

I just watched it for a 2nd time, this time not bailing out halfway and heard the comoving coordinate arguments, then she said with a straight face that if she wanted to learn something new, she goes to Brilliant, lol. That was a good one!

Time as we know it from cosmology emerges from the theory of symmetric spaces - you just look at the properties of a homogeneous and isotropic universe, apply differential geometry and add some assumptions et voila. In the quantum world it is quite different. In the Big Think ER=EPR link that we saw a while ago it is theorized that quantum entanglement is the result of an Einstein Rosen bridge. Van Raamsdonk built a space time model based on that idea. It is confusing. If you search the internet for if time is an emergent property or not, you will find many yes- and no-responses (no, not time, space is emergent).

So far, I just read the popular links, don't understand much of it and I'm glad I am not the only one. The ER=EPR folks are trying to explain quantum physics and relativity using wormholes, and if that means time can run in closed loops, great. Others are using quantum physics (gravitons, Higgs fields) to explain spacetime. Who knows. But those ideas are pretty remote from Alice and Bob in spaceships one of which moves faster than light.

As an aside, any opinions on a faster than light question that I have: How can static gravity cross an event horizon as gravitational waves cannot? We should be able to sense mass from outside the visible universe and inside the Schwarzschild radius of black holes according to their differential geometric model origins, but that means that static gravity travels faster than light somehow. Or does it? I searched the internet for an answer and the opinions are all over the place. Anyway, it's all fascinating and we can't rule anything out.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

Re:
SkyHiker wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:43 pm ... How can static gravity cross an event horizon as gravitational waves cannot? We should be able to sense mass from outside the visible universe and inside the Schwarzschild radius of black holes according to their differential geometric model origins, but that means that static gravity travels faster than light somehow. Or does it? I searched the internet for an answer and the opinions are all over the place. Anyway, it's all fascinating and we can't rule anything out.
At the risk of being completely wrong (or at least overly simplistic), allow me to respond with these comments & questions: Does gravity need to "cross" the event horizon at all? If (ok, possibly ignoring particle physics too much) gravity is considered as direct consequence of the curvature of spacetime, then the effect of gravity on matter is a local one (like the matter being at a location in a potential well), and not like that matter being subject to radiation (photons, gravitons, etc.) illuminating it at some velocity. If there is literally no radiation involved, then there is no barrier for gravity to cross (so to speak) to travel from its source (such as a black hole) to its target, for there is no traveling at all.
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”