Discuss your home observatory!
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: The humble beginning of a new observatory - GifNet.US

Post by SkyHiker »

Very nice Chris, thanks for sharing those pictures. It looks like it could work well for star parties, too. You are pushing it to the limits with two mounts, it must be difficult to polar align them since you have to move around them.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:57 pm Very nice Chris, thanks for sharing those pictures. It looks like it could work well for star parties, too. You are pushing it to the limits with two mounts, it must be difficult to polar align them since you have to move around them.
I was concerned about the space needed to move around for polar alignment. But I did manage to position the scopes to where I can adjust either mount from either a sitting or standing position if I move the chair out.
And yes, polar alignment is needed each session even if the equipment hasn't "moved". It sat for four days and the alignment was off by 30 minutes altitude and almost a full degree azimuth, ground is that soft.

I should actually do a final segment from inside the tent for the video. I'll do that tonight.
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

chris_g wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:57 pm And yes, polar alignment is needed each session even if the equipment hasn't "moved". It sat for four days and the alignment was off by 30 minutes altitude and almost a full degree azimuth, ground is that soft.
I wonder if Jamie's solution that I linked above would work better, if you use 1- to 2-foot-long threaded pipe in the ground. The idea of just those damping pads on the lawn surface was bound to fail. You might want to try it and see if it works, if it does then poke a few strategic holes in the tent bottom. Not having to redo polar alignment is the number one benefit that observatories are for IMHO.

Having water under the tent bottom will surely not help, can you dig a trench to reroute the water, also what's sliding off the roof down the walls? If you have a solid foundation and can keep the bottom area dry, that should help a lot.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Hello all,

Figured it is time to give this a wrap up, sorry for the delay but things have gotten hectic, at work and with looking for a permanent location for my obsay! More on that later!

Eventually I will have the video put together but it's pretty straight forward, even with out instructions, that was on the seller, not the manufacturer. They communicated later and sent a PDF file.

The tent has been up since April 16th, and no issues with leakage, only concern is, typical in tent pole style, one of the rods for the rain fly broke, does it make the tent unusable, absolutely not; however, it does effect flow off the rain fly. And tent poles can be easily replaced. I also added another sealant to the tent and rain fly, color is now a golden green instead of the original green.

How do I rate this, 5 Stars for design, 4 Stars for durability, 3 Stars for cost, overall, 4 stars

Who normally buys an eight-foot diameter dome tent, about 70" height with just a rainfly for a dome! Astronomy, got to love it! MSRP $349.95, at the time the manufacture had on sale for $324.95. I got it on eBay for $299.95.

Clear Skies,
Chris
Attachments
20230518_182338.jpg
20230518_170423.jpg
20230518_170242.jpg
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Hopefully it lasts in the long term, a easy instant observatory though.
Enjoy the use :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:09 pm Hopefully it lasts in the long term, a easy instant observatory though.
Enjoy the use
Than k you, I will. Long term is no longer a need now though, with a move to a new location on the horizon under a darker sky than I do have here. The tent will be used for its intended purpose and will be coming down soon. Things happened a lot quicker than I had anticipated with house hunting in some the darkest areas of my home state.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

chris_g wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:16 pm .... and then start working on Gifnet.US's Obsy first light in a new thread!

Exciting stuff!

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

chris_g wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:00 pm
Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:09 pm Hopefully it lasts in the long term, a easy instant observatory though.
Enjoy the use
Than k you, I will. Long term is no longer a need now though, with a move to a new location on the horizon under a darker sky than I do have here. The tent will be used for its intended purpose and will be coming down soon. Things happened a lot quicker than I had anticipated with house hunting in some the darkest areas of my home state.
Sometimes I speak to soon. Something in the financing falling now that should have been caught a week ago instead of being told all is good.

Now, I speak not at all.

Clear Skies,
Chris
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

I can speak now with confidence that this part of the journey is over. The tent will be coming down in a few days and will be utilized for it's intended purpose.

I've stepped onto the path to begin my final journey.

https://theskysearchers.com/viewtopic.php?t=30765

Clear Skies,
Chris
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

All the very best of luck for the next part of your journey!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/