From a beautiful sunrise to thunder snow

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

From a beautiful sunrise to thunder snow

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi everyone. As always, hope things are going good for you and yours.

Only 2 days left for March. Yay! I have nothing against March. However, after this mostly sunless winter I am looking forward to some warmer days. We've had a few here and there, but it's just a tease. Please make it stop!

Also, the daughter-unit turned 18 this month. That still terrifies me. I joined the old AF.net when she was 5; where did the time go? I swear, all I did was blink...

It's also been a fun month for work, specifically my truck. From a front-passenger side blowout to a wheel bearing failure to parts breaking on the front end, causing me to go into a ditch and rolling the truck.
I've had some interesting dreams at night lately :lol:

On Saturday I picked up a new Ford Ranger at the local dealership. Monday after work, back it went. The screen in the cab gets insanely hot, and the battery was showing in the red. Wow. So I now have a "spare" 2011 Ranger from work with 450 thousand KM's (280K miles) on it. It creaks a lot, but it and I are kindred spirits in that way...

This morning I was off to Hamilton, Ontario, which is about 150KM's (95 miles) from where I live. Got to my first call at 7:30, dropped everything off, and then to my next one which is right on the shore of lake Ontario. Before stopping off at that call, I pulled into a parking lot on the shore, and walked down to see the Sun rising.

It was warm (6C, 42F), serene and so peaceful. It felt nice to have sand under my feet instead of snow. You might notice the halos around the Sun; I knew the weather was going to get worse as the day went on.
I do love this shot though :D

Sunrise01.JPG

This is to the left of me, facing north. The city of Burlington is pretty evident.

Sunrise_L.JPG

And this is to the right. Those two dark towers are a lift-bridge for the canal to let ships out. You can be stuck waiting for a half hour, trust me. There is also the Skyway bridge a bit to the right, a scary item in the winter sometimes....

Sunrise_R.JPG

Here's one of the "power-towers", they look like huge insects guarding the beach :lol:

Tower.JPG

Took some pics and got back to it. Did that call, then went west to pick up more pet groceries. After that, it was back to the city of Hamilton. Hamilton is in a "valley", so to speak, as is evident in this photos.

Going there:
Hamilton.JPG

I'm there!
Hamilton02.JPG

The city has been around for a long time; most homes are pre-WW1. One thing Hamilton was known for was bricks, at least according to this:

Hamilton Pressed Brick was founded in 1907. In its first 13 years of operation, the company baked more than 45 million 5 pound clay bricks. Eventually the brickyard used all of the clay excavated on its site and started to bring it in from outside the city. These bricks represent a city built with resilience. The Studebaker factory constructed with Hamilton bricks produced classic Studebaker, and was used as a weapons factory during World War I and II.

And here you go, some genuine bricks from that era:

Bricks.JPG

I also met a random cat walking down the street towards me. Cats take to me, maybe because we're both chill in nature and don't come when we're called.... :lol:

Cat.JPG

My second to last call in Hamilton, and here's a pic of my skies, taken about 11:30ish. Not looking good.

Sun_Halo.JPG

I left Hamilton and made my way to Oakville. At least I was out of the city and had roads more my taste.

Rural.JPG

Got there at 1PM, and did the three calls as the temperature noticeably dropped. According to my phone, it was now 1C (33F). Yup, I can agree with that!

I left and headed up Ford drive (Ontario's Ford plant is up that road obviously) and that when it started.....

First it was freezing rain.

Freezing_rain.JPG

Then it turned to snow, and that's when I heard the rumbling... I rolled down the window, and could hear the low rumbling of it as the snow was coming down sideways. Supposedly a rare phenomenon, according to Wikipedia:
Thundersnow
I bet you thought I was making that up :lol:

Snow.JPG

I would have taken a video so you could hear it, but with the high winds (80K, 50MPH) I had to concentrate on not rolling the truck again ;)

Going up Ford drive, I had to make a decision. Take the 401 (Trans Canada highway) or the 407, which is a toll route. Google maps was telling me that the 401 was over two hours to home, and the 407 was 46 minutes.

I call the shots on my job, and I never get an argument. At least the 407 is not used that much, and I was still only doing 100K (60mph), usually this is good for 140! High winds, the freezing rain/snow... It still took me over an hour to get home.
407.JPG

And now? The skies have cleared, still cold, and it might even be a clear night. Bino's might be good for a few minutes, what with Venus and Mars up. I'll see :)

Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed my day!

All the best everyone,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: From a beautiful sunrise to thunder snow

Post by messier 111 »

Also, the daughter-unit turned 18 this month. That still terrifies me. I joined the old AF.net when she was 5; where did the time go? I swear, all I did was blink...

the next time you blink, you're going to be a grandfather.
I'm glad you had a good day.
salut mon ami .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
DEnc United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by DEnc »

Your story has all the trappings of an indie short film. Video record it next time and I suspect we'll see you on the awards circuit!

I spent a few years on the south side of Lake Ontario, and watched a lot of interesting weather blow by: waterspouts, lake effect snow, and yes, thundersnow!
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

When you get the Ranger back, put a dash cam in it. And be sure to get a quality one. We've captured some interesting things with ours.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A interesting day all around Mark and I hope Sarah had a great birthday :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

A fair mixture of weather conditions there Mark.

I am pleased you had a safe journey, and thank you for sharing it with us. A very enjoyable read :icon-smile:
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Certainly weird weather - thanks for the update
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice narrative and pics Mark! Brand new truck back to the dealership, that's not right. I hope it just a single issue.

And watch out for the boys! :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255