iOptron Skyhunter review

Discuss iOptron mounts.
TexasStar United States of America
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

iOptron Skyhunter review

Post by TexasStar »

Hey guys, I know it sucks that this kind of post has to be my first one here, but I want to get the word out to fellow amateur astronomers and astrophotographers. I usually hang out at Cloudy Nights and reddit but found this place when searching iOptron mounts.

Beware of the iOptron Skyhunter. This mount has had issues since it's roll out and they have not gotten them figured out. They are still selling them though and their "policy" is to make the customer pay for shipping after 14 days and after 30 days they'll make you pay for them to ship it back to you as well after they "fix" it. OPT the vender I bought it from was no help either, they're each pointing their fingers at each other. The following is a copy and paste from a review at Cloudy Nights by me.

So I have seen threads here and elsewhere regarding issues with the iOptron Skyhunter and had come to the conclusion that they appeared to have them worked out, nope. I bought one almost 2 months ago. The app worked but continually crashed requiring a restart in the beginning, now it just won't connect at all. No, there are no other devices connected to my phone or interference with wifi as at my dark sky site, there is none and I am alone. I have uninstalled and re-installed the app, no joy.

This is not a big problem though seeing as I use a laptop running NINA, Stellarium and PHD2. Using the phone is nice to move the mount when not connected via laptop but I can live with this issue.

The big issue is, after running the mount for a little while, the RA axis locks up and using the prescribed screwdriver in the hole on the dovetail does not work. The red anodized RA knob turns with the dovetail. So, to unlock the RA now if an adjustment in balance is needed etc. I have to use a pair of 12 inch channel locks on the red knob as well as the screwdriver on the dovetail. I can see many of you cringing, I padded the jaws of the channel locks with a liberal layer of masking tape, no damage.

This requires shutting down, removing the scope and mount and dealing with the problem. This is ridiculous in my opinion, maybe that's just me though.

iOptron support said they have their team working on adding teflon or brass washers to the internals to fix this. Since this RA lock issue happened, I have researched it and read posts out there of other users having this problem. Sounds to me like this is a known issue like the electronics in the beginning and they rolled the mount out to the public anyway.

Even if the RA problem is fixed, what will go wrong next? They obviously rushed this mount without thorough testing and I don't feel like I can trust it.

I will say that it did have good GOTO and tracking when used and I got decent 30 second unguided shots.

This RA unlock issue is a no go at this point and like I said, what is next?
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: iOptron Skyhunter review

Post by Bigzmey »

Bummer that you are having issues with the brand new mount and iOptron support is lacking.

If RA lock issue can be fixed by adding a washer you could do it yourself. You can get those from your local hardware store.

Generally speaking, among all the mounts I have/had none has worked 100% out of the box. I had to troubleshoot some mechanical or software issues for all of them. On one of them, Orion Versago II, I had to add a combo of felt/brass washers to make Alt axes usable. I got the idea from the brake design of spinning reels. :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Here's a link if you would like to view the mount in question.

https://www.highpointscientific.com/iop ... 78EALw_wcB
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

TexasStar United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by TexasStar »

Bigzmey wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:27 am Bummer that you are having issues with the brand new mount and iOptron support is lacking.

If RA lock issue can be fixed by adding a washer you could do it yourself. You can get those from your local hardware store.

Generally speaking, among all the mounts I have/had none has worked 100% out of the box. I had to troubleshoot some mechanical or software issues for all of them. On one of them, Orion Versago II, I had to add a combo of felt/brass washers to make Alt axes usable. I got the idea from the brake design of spinning reels. :D
Yeah I could probably do it, I know my way around tools and have hypertuned one other mount. But, A) I shouldn't have to tear apart a brand new mount. B) Doing that may void the warranty all together. I am considering upgrading to a ZWO AM5 and if I go for it and if I don't sell or give away the SkyClunker, I may take it apart down the road.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Unfortunate that you have to deal with this, one would expect some help when the mount is under warranty since that is typically why people buy new.
Hopefully they will eventually set things right for you.

The only mounts I have that have worked properly straight from factory are the Vixen. My SXP is 8 years old and has worked without a fault, two of my friends would come steal it for AP use while I was working out of town and they had no issues either. The AXJ is less than a year old but so far all is good.
I have had various other Synta mounts that other than a hyper-tune worked well for years.

The only mount that I did have a uncorrectable issue with was a Losmandy G-11 and it died a lovely death (with some help) and I was glad it was out of my life.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

<bump>

I was curious about the SH, so good to know. Uncle Rod's comment about waiting a year or two to buy one might be good advice.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s