Sky-Watcher EQM-35 Mount

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
modelsbynight Canada
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Sky-Watcher EQM-35 Mount

Post by modelsbynight »

I just got notified that the Sky-Watcher EQM-35 Mount is in stock and wondering if it is worth it to buy.

I have been planning on doing Photography with my Nikon Z7ii and the 85mm f/1.8 lens and possible future lenses and or small telescope.

I have done some tripod stacking images of Orion Nebula with OK results but want to get better results. Mind you also need to find darker night skies.

https://telescopescanada.ca/products/sk ... 9078279387

Not even sure what else I would need to actually go about mounting my camera to it.

Thank you
Last edited by modelsbynight on Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Sky-Watcher EQM-35 Mount

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Hello modelsbynight and welcome to the Forum.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello modelsbynight. The Sky-Watcher EQM-35 mount that you linked to is very much like the Celestron CG4 mount that came with my Omni XLT150R refractor, except that it is slightly lighter duty.
150 mm refractor on CG4 mount.png

I can tell you that my CG4 mount is a very reliable "work horse" and you should have no troubles with the EQM-35 mount, which is available with lots of tracking and control goodies. This should be a nice mount for your astrophotography and future telescope additions, up to the telescopescanada link weight specifications. Also the Sky-Watcher and Celestron brands are both made by Synta. I hope this helps modelsbynight and a big welcome to the TSS forum.
:text-welcomeconfetti:
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The mount is a medium duty (EQ-4) class mount and will support your camera setup quite well, the EQ-4 has done great reliable service to many years.
If you are seriously looking at stepping up in AP I would recommend you look at the HEQ5 as a longer term mount that will give you a bit of growing space.
When adding a telescope into the mix you will start to push the capacity of the mount (EQ-4) a bit.
You want to keep your weights at less than 60% of mount capacity.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

If you are planning to mount the camera directly to the telescope mount (no telescope), you will need a 'vixen / synta dovetail" to adapt over. The vendor you referenced above has some 3d printed ones that should work https://telescopescanada.ca/products/bu ... 4515042523 You might want to contact them for further advise.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Makuser wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:01 pm Hello modelsbynight. The Sky-Watcher EQM-35 mount that you linked to is very much like the Celestron CG4 mount that came with my Omni XLT150R refractor, except that it is slightly lighter duty.

I can tell you that my CG4 mount is a very reliable "work horse" and you should have no troubles with the EQM-35 mount, which is available with lots of tracking and control goodies. This should be a nice mount for your astrophotography and future telescope additions, up to the telescopescanada link weight specifications. Also the Sky-Watcher and Celestron brands are both made by Synta. I hope this helps modelsbynight and a big welcome to the TSS forum.
plus one here .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
modelsbynight Canada
Earth Ambassador

Post by modelsbynight »

Gordon wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:47 pm If you are planning to mount the camera directly to the telescope mount (no telescope), you will need a 'vixen / synta dovetail" to adapt over. The vendor you referenced above has some 3d printed ones that should work https://telescopescanada.ca/products/bu ... 4515042523 You might want to contact them for further advise.
Thanks, I will look into the 3d printed items
Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:15 pm The mount is a medium duty (EQ-4) class mount and will support your camera setup quite well, the EQ-4 has done great reliable service to many years.
If you are seriously looking at stepping up in AP I would recommend you look at the HEQ5 as a longer term mount that will give you a bit of growing space.
When adding a telescope into the mix you will start to push the capacity of the mount (EQ-4) a bit.
You want to keep your weights at less than 60% of mount capacity.
Due to budget I will start with the EQM35 , Thanks. Yah sure bigger would have been better for future. But at present time I will most likely remain with Camera only on mount
Makuser wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:01 pm Hello modelsbynight. The Sky-Watcher EQM-35 mount that you linked to is very much like the Celestron CG4 mount that came with my Omni XLT150R refractor, except that it is slightly lighter duty.

Thanks , I might get a small telescope at some point for the mount. but not right away. As photography is my main reason for getting this EQM35

I actually ordered it just a few mins ago and will pick it up when ready, Glad I live near the store to save of shipping etc.
Photographer and Astrophile, Love the Ant on the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn and all time fav Andromeda
Telescope: N/A
Cameras: Nikon Z7ii 85mm f/1.8 ; DSS & Siril
Mount: Sky Watcher EQM-35 WiFi
Control: iPad via APPs