Another Option

Discuss solar related topics.
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Another Option

Post by Solsearcher »

Maybe not for everyone but might be of interest to some . The solar option I chose was the "PST Mod" route .
I started with a Coronado SM 60 , great scope once the focuser was changed but limited for imaging close up . Like anything scope wise aperture rules and 60mm was limited for getting up close . There are many miss conceptions about the PST mod but I have built many and have used them for years and can say they are SAFE and a much less expensive way to a larger aperture . I will not go into any detail here about the construction but if anybody wants to know more you can PM me . There is nothing "Micky Mouse" about these scopes , they are all business and work as well as any manufactured scopes I have used . My current solar scopes are my SM 60 DS , I use for full disk only . My 90mm Skywatcher / PST DS mod for close ups and when the sky permits I will set up my 150mm Istar/PST mod .
This might be worth considering for some , the PST offers a less expensive way to larger apertures down the road

These are my modded PST scopes
IMG_3620.JPG
IMG_3622.JPG
IMG_3623.JPG
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Another Option

Post by messier 111 »

fine setup , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
LDW47 Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by LDW47 »

Solsearcher wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:20 pm Maybe not for everyone but might be of interest to some . The solar option I chose was the "PST Mod" route .
I started with a Coronado SM 60 , great scope once the focuser was changed but limited for imaging close up . Like anything scope wise aperture rules and 60mm was limited for getting up close . There are many miss conceptions about the PST mod but I have built many and have used them for years and can say they are SAFE and a much less expensive way to a larger aperture . I will not go into any detail here about the construction but if anybody wants to know more you can PM me . There is nothing "Micky Mouse" about these scopes , they are all business and work as well as any manufactured scopes I have used . My current solar scopes are my SM 60 DS , I use for full disk only . My 90mm Skywatcher / PST DS mod for close ups and when the sky permits I will set up my 150mm Istar/PST mod .
This might be worth considering for some , the PST offers a less expensive way to larger apertures down the road

These are my modded PST scopes

IMG_3620.JPG

IMG_3622.JPG

IMG_3623.JPG
Thanx but no thanks ! When you are playing with the sun with your only eyes ??
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Thank you for your response LDW47
I did say that this is not for everyone and I also said that there are a lot of miss conceptions about this , you have proven my claims !!
I can assure you I would never put anyone at any kind of risk what so ever in any way . If you understand Ha scopes and learn the purpose and how the 3 filters work you would know that there is no danger in using this option .
I would ask for you to please explain what it is I am doing that is so dangerous , if I am putting anyone at risk I will ask Gordon to remove my post .
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
LDW47 Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by LDW47 »

Solsearcher wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:30 pm Thank you for your response LDW47
I did say that this is not for everyone and I also said that there are a lot of miss conceptions about this , you have proven my claims !!
I can assure you I would never put anyone at any kind of risk what so ever in any way . If you understand Ha scopes and learn the purpose and how the 3 filters work you would know that there is no danger in using this option .
I would ask for you to please explain what it is I am doing that is so dangerous , if I am putting anyone at risk I will ask Gordon to remove my post .
I have owned 3 ha scopes, still have one so I am familiar with it, i don't know the details of your work and I am not a willing try outer. Just speaking for my eyes, I can think of better ways to save money but if others want to then who am I. Keep going !
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

I have owned 3 ha scopes, still have one so I am familiar with it, i don't know the details of your work and I am not a willing try outer. Just speaking for my eyes, I can think of better ways to save money but if others want to then who am I. Keep going !
[/quote]

That is fine and I understand your concern . May I ask what scope you are presently using ?