Solar Focuser Changeover

Discuss solar related topics.
LDW47 Canada
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

Solar Focuser Changeover

Post by LDW47 »

Has anyone changed over the helical focuser on a Lunt LS50 ha solar scope to the Lunt 2 speed crayford focuser upgrade ? Did it noticably change the focusing function, the ease to focus, realizing that there likely is no change in the views on any given day ? I am considering this to my newly arrived LS50. Just trying to justify the $500-$600 C cost.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Solar Focuser Changeover

Post by Thefatkitty »

Congrats on the new scope! Funny you should mention this; I've been looking at HA scopes for a bit. From what I've read online, the crayford just helps to deal with camera weight, being the bulkier focuser. I've used a helical focuser before; for visual it's at least as sensitive as a 10:1 crayford.
Of course, just my 2 cents :D

Hope the skies clear for you, not much luck here!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
LDW47 Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by LDW47 »

Thefatkitty wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:36 pm Congrats on the new scope! Funny you should mention this; I've been looking at HA scopes for a bit. From what I've read online, the crayford just helps to deal with camera weight, being the bulkier focuser. I've used a helical focuser before; for visual it's at least as sensitive as a 10:1 crayford.
Of course, just my 2 cents :D

Hope the skies clear for you, not much luck here!

All the best,
I don't mind a helical, I had one on my Lunt HS40 that I sold and bought the 50 but I figure that with the $'s I spent on it I may as well go all in. I will order the hard case as well. I will tell you one thing that Lunt 40 was one h*ll of a scope as well, the views were great.
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

If you are thinking about imaging with this scope I would strongly suggest a Moonlite "motor focus" , could be less expensive and offers 'no shake" focusing . I have been using these focusers on my solar scopes for years and can highly recommend them
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
LDW47 Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by LDW47 »

Solsearcher wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:28 am If you are thinking about imaging with this scope I would strongly suggest a Moonlite "motor focus" , could be less expensive and offers 'no shake" focusing . I have been using these focusers on my solar scopes for years and can highly recommend them
At this point I don't intend any imaging.
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

That is your call , they would be about the same price and offer hands off the scope focusing by just tapping the buttons . No shake and clear view wile focusing .
PS , I love your sketches !!
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Regardless of the focuser you choose they are not difficult to change . Here is my SM 60 with the motor focuser installed and the old helical beside it .
SM60 focuser.JPG