Astrofeast - Summer 2023

Let's see your reports!
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Astrofeast - Summer 2023

Post by OzEclipse »

Had a group of 6 friends out to my dark sky property for a weekend of fine food and visual observing during the February new moon weekend. I hold these a few times a year for friends. I usually prepare some good food guests bring up a few beers and nibbles for pre dinner and someone brings a dessert. On this occasion, I had my mate Phil @scribbly and David come up on Friday night and stay till Sunday.

I left work at 3pm and arrived at 5pm Friday afternoon closely followed by Phil @scribbly and David (not on TSS) I went to the back door opened the security door, then inserted the key in the main door deadlock. It turned but the door didn’t unlock. I tried turning it both ways, no dice. I’ve owned the place for 2.5 years, never entered by any other door. Panic stations, two friends already here, 5 on the way the next day, no access to the house? Much to my relief, I went to the front of the house, up the stairs and my keys did get through the security grill and exterior deadlocks on the front door. Problem 1 solved.

I let David and Phil into the house then put on some dinner and started getting the house ready for other guests, arriving the next day. I tried calling the locksmith but there was no answer. I set up my dob taking it out through the studio sliding door. Next I decided to set up my 6” f7 newt. At this point I paused and decided that the deadlocked rear door needed to be sorted out. If it remained locked, it would cause access problems for everybody all weekend. I have a safe, ramped access to the house via that door to minimise the chances of trips after dark. Additionally, to set up my 6 inch was going to necessitate carrying every component from the back bedroom, through a 20 metre corridor, through the living area, studio and out the sliding door.

So I thought, how difficult can it be to repair a deadlock? Not at all difficult as it turns out. A few minutes later, the door was opened and with a spare pair of hands from Phil to hold it in place while I reassembled it, it was working again in short order. I will however, be replacing that lock with a new one very soon.

I set up my 6”f7 and EM200 near the 18”. By now Phil’s Losmandy G11 and David’s Vixen GP were both assembled. Their OTA’s (Phil: Mewlon 180C, David” ES ED102 APO were both inside under one of the A/C down vents cooling down from respective trips in hot cars.
Joe_and_Phil-1000p.jpg

We had dinner around sunset then I collimated the 18” scope at twilight and calibrated the NEXUS DSC’s. David started taking photos with the ED 102 and Phil mounted my SV102ED on a SBS saddle with his Mewlon 180c. Hmmm, 4 scopes for three people should keep the waiting lines short ;-).

At this time of year it is astronomical twilight around 930pm local time. We began looking at objects, the order based in part whether they were going to drop behind trees in the west. We pointed the 18” at comet 2022 E3 a bit too late and only glimpsed it through tree branches.

Friday night was excellent in both transparency and seeing. The standout highlight of the night’s observations was of a hint of dull faint rusty red hydrogen alpha emission showing up on some parts of the Orion nebula. We also glimpsed it in Phil's Melon 180.

A bit of high cloud came in at about 1am on Friday night that sent us to bed a bit early. Probably a good thing for me. I was expecting several more guests the next night.

I snapped this picture of the Large Magellanic Cloud as the cloud came in Friday night.
Astrofeast weekend-4890.jpg

After a leisurely start, I began preparing the evenings astro-feast. It's a pork belly braised in onion and tomato with herbs and vegetables served on a mushroom risotto. It's my own adaptation of a recipe from Abruzzo.

While I was cooking up a storm in the kitchen, storm clouds built suddenly at about 4pm Saturday. We covered the scopes. That was a big mistake and one I'll never make again. No rain but high wind came in and my 100kg 18” dob blew over and hit the deck. Panic attack ensued. Three of us lifted the dob back up and I determined that no major damage had occurred. Nonetheless, I disassembled it and wheeled the rocker box under the deck awning to see out the storm. Dave and Phil covered their scopes in place. Heavy rain fell elsewhere but none here and an hour later the sky was clear again. While the Pork belly was braising, I set up the 18” again. Logan, William and Martin arrived. Another friend also called Phil, felt ill that afternoon and decided not to come. Logan and his son William were checking out the telescopes while I was inside cooking

William_Newt-1000p.jpg
William-Dob-1000p.jpg

Saturday night was completely clear. The storm clouds cleared by sunset.
Astrofeast weekend-4896.jpg

Visual telescopes included my Stellvue SV102 ED mounted in parallel to Phil's Takahashi Mewlon 180C on his G11, Logan set up his Takahashi TSA120, David's Explore Scientific ED102. I placed my hand made 6" f7 newtonian back on it's mount and again set up the 18" f5.5 dobsonian. Heart attack! The laser collimator spot was not even landing on the primary mirror. It was landing on the ground next to the telescope. I checked the trusses to see if any were bent. I checked to see if the spider vanes were bent. Nothing? Finally I looked at the obvious, the secondary mirror was pointing well off to one side. I loosened the lock screws and straightened the housing. All was well in the world once again. Blood pressure dropping. Ahhh!

The transparency on Saturday night was not as good as Friday. Martin brought his Sky quality meter (SQM). The reading was only 21.6. Despite that, the Milky Way from Taurus through Orion Monceros, Canis Major, Puppis, Vela to Carina - Crux - Centaurus was popping. Lot's of meteors and minor fireballs leaving gas contrails.

This was Martin's first visit to my 34 south property. David had visited for the first time the month before but that was the night that the wheel on my 18” blew and we couldn't use it. So we toured the obligatory bright objects, M42, the Tarantula Nebula(NGC 2070), globula clusters 47 Tucanae(NGC104) and Omega Centauri, and Eta Carina. Then we began exploring some more challenging delights. The Eskimo Nebula, the faint but large galaxy NGC 4945, Leo's triplet, the Ghost of Jupiter in Hydra, M46 and it's foreground planetary nebula NGC 2348. We looked at a bunch of galaxies and planetary nebulae, some gorgeous open clusters.

In between viewing, chatting, joking around with my friends, I snapped this single 20s untracked exposure of the Crux Carina region with Eta Carina in the middle of the upper frame.

Astrofeast weekend-4891 copy.jpg

Pentax K1 ISO 12800 20s
Pentax M 50mm f1.7 @ f2
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Astrofeast - Summer 2023

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Great report Joe with some lovely photos.

You certainly are very organised with laying on all that food for your guests.

Sophia and I definitely know where to go if we ever visit your location ;)
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Thanks for the wonderful report Joe and it sounds like a good time was had by all. You weathered the storm, entertained and dined with friends and got in some scope activity with a wide variety of instruments gazing at some of the best objects in the skies. Glad also that you were able to repair the lock. All in all an effort well worth the VROD for today!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

I am glad to see that you had good weather and fun.
nice pictures . thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Great report and a lovely event!
Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Joe. This is a superb observing report from you. It looks as though everyone had a wonderful time, food, and observing at this gathering. Thanks for your well written and fun read report with great photos Joe and congratulations on receiving the much deserved TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

helicon wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:31 pm Thanks for the wonderful report Joe and it sounds like a good time was had by all. You weathered the storm, entertained and dined with friends and got in some scope activity with a wide variety of instruments gazing at some of the best objects in the skies. Glad also that you were able to repair the lock. All in all an effort well worth the VROD for today!
Hi Michael,
Thanks very much. It’s dawn and I’ve been woken by a thunderstorm. Nice surprise to wake up to this nice surprise. The weekend had its stressful points, the lockout, then that telescope blow over really stressed me out.
Thank to you and everyone for all the nice comments.
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Very fine gathering and report Joe. Despite some issues a wonderful time was had by all. Having observed the Crux-Carina area myself, I am truly envious of your wonderful views of this stunning portion of the sky. Congrats on the VROD, which is very well deserved.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)