Observing Report for 28 February 2023 - galaxy hunting in a moonlit sky?

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 28 February 2023 - galaxy hunting in a moonlit sky?

Post by kt4hx »

It had been nearly three months since I’d last been to our dark site property to check on things. Because of the holidays, then some health issues immediately thereafter, things just didn’t work out for me to get over there to make certain things were still good, and perhaps do a little observing. The sky forecast was for clear skies, excellent transparency and below average seeing, per the site Astropheric. Though the moon was going to be at 66% illumination high in the sky in the corner where Orion, Taurus, Gemini and Auriga converge, I decided to throw caution to the wind and give it a go at least for a couple of hours anyway. Though I don’t normally try to do any galaxy hunting with the moon so prominent in the sky, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Or should that be something ventured, nothing gained? :icon-smile:

One of my goals was to try out a new power supply for my dew heater strips. I recently received a 25% off coupon from Harbor Freight and bought a small power pack that I’d been looking at for some time. Its small size allowed me to mount it to the dob’s rocker box and connect it to the strips on my RACI finder (objective and eyepiece) and Rigel Quikfinder unity finder. It kept the frost at bay and was much more portable than what I had been using previously. While frost was forming on the scope’s truss shroud the finders were clear as a bell. Here is a link to what I used: https://www.harborfreight.com/450-peak- ... 56798.html

Anyway, I went out into the chilly late February air, under a clear country sky. The moon was beaming down upon me and I had to shield my eyes frequently from its intense light. Nonetheless, I had some success in the hunt for galaxies, and even managed to push just pass the 3,400 galaxies observed threshold. Though I would much prefer do this kind of observing when the moon is not in the sky! So here we go with a little moonlit galaxy hunting.

(Equipment used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 21mm (94x, 1.1° TFOV, 4.7mm exit pupil)
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)

Comet C/2022 E3 ZTF (Taurus, comet, mag=8.4, coma diameter=6.1):
My first order of business was to look up the prominent comet in the sky, which is still located in the southeastern corner of Taurus. Doing the star hop from the shield of Orion I was unable to spot it in the 8x50 RACI optical finder due to the very bright moonlit sky. However, with the Ethos 21mm (94x) I quickly located it as a dim rounded diffuse glow with a noticeably bright core in its center. In the brighter sky I was unable to pick up any hint of its tail toward the ENE, even at 152x or 199x. I would suspect the tail would have been very noticeable had the moon not been bombarding the sky with brightness.

NGC 3130 (Leo, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.4, size=1.0’x0.6’, SBr=12.6):
Aiming the scope at bright Regulus (Alpha Leonis), I slipped south about 2° to 31 Leonis (mag 4.4). As I studied the field immediately east of this star, I only suspected the presence of this galaxy with 152x. However, move to 199x I confirmed it as a very faint and small diffuse oval. Trying at 283x, because of the brightened sky, its disk remained weak and homogeneous in appearance. (New)

Messier 48 / NGC 2548 (Hydra, open cluster, mag=5.8, size=30.0’, class=I2m):
I now moved to the head of the great water serpent. This is the largest constellation in the sky, containing just over 1300 square degrees as well as being the longest at over 100 degrees in length. I now swept southwest about 11° and easily swept up this bright open cluster lying just inside the Hydra-Monoceros border. At 94x it was a beautiful scattering of stars that I estimated at upwards of 100 members. The group was well framed in the 1.1° TFOV of the eyepiece, with the cluster edges being ill-defined against the background sky.

NGC 2583 (Hydra, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.4, size=0.9’x0.9’, SBr=12.9):
About 2.5° ENE of M48 I located this elliptical, though it was not seen at 152x. Bumping up to 199x and then 283x I was able to locate it in the field as a faint small diffuse oval glow. Without the moon present, it would have been much easier without a doubt. I did not pick up nearby NGC 2584 (mag 13.8) however. (New)

NGC 2610 (Hydra, planetary nebula, mag=12.7, size=0.7’, SBr=11.7):
Just over 9° southeast of M48, I went on the hunt for this planetary nebula. I located it almost 3.5’ southwest of the mag 6.6 star HD 72665. Easily located with 152x, it presented a small and slightly dim round homogeneous glow. Applying the DGM NPB filter, the PN responded well, becoming a bright round smooth grayish disk. Viewed at 199x and 283x with the filter, it was very obvious. The object’s high surface brightness plus its strong contrast boost with the NPB, really made it stand out in the field of view. (New)

NGC 2662 (Hydra, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.2’x1.1’, SBr=12.8):
Just over 3° ENE of the previous object I spotted this elliptical. Using 152x to study its field, I felt I was picking it up, but was uncertain until I went to 199x. It seemed very dim and small, slightly out of round and homogeneous to the eye. Even at 283x it remained weak visually against the brightened sky, but was clearly seen. (New)

Abell 33 (Hydra, planetary nebula, mag=13.4, size=4.5’, SBr=16.4):
I now moved over to northeastern Hydra, east of its head. Locating the mag 7.2 star HD 83535, I studied the field next to the star for a bit at 152x/199x/283x, both with and without the NPB filter. However, I could not pick up any trace of this large and extremely low surface brightness PN. Honestly I was not surprised given its nature and the presence of the moon, but it was worth a shot. Something to try on a dark moonless night for sure!

NGC 2974 (Sextans, spiral galaxy, mag=10.9, size=3.4’x2.1’, SBr=12.8):
I now slipped over the border into Sextans. I found the field for this galaxy just over a degree southeast of the previous object; I located it easily using 152x. Even in the brighter sky, it was obvious in the field as a bright slightly small oval. A 9th mag field star was just at its southwestern tip. Viewed at 199x and 283x it was very obvious within the field, and its core became broadly brighter within the galactic disk. It was a nice, bright reprieve in the bright sky. (New)

NGC 2979 (Sextans, spiral galaxy, mag=12.3, size=1.5’x1.0’, SBr=12.5):
About 6° south of NGC 2974, I located the field for a couple more galaxies. First up was this spiral, which was picked up using 152x, and presented a small and dim diffuse oval disk. More obvious at 199x, it remained smoothly illuminated. This galaxy also carries the duplicate identifier of NGC 3050. Though discovered by William Herschel in 1786 and re-observed by his son John in 1828, it was later reported by Frank Muller in 1886. Dreyer included it in the NGC erroneously. Though Muller’s position is off the mark, his description closely matches that of NGC 2979. (New)

NGC 2978 (Sextans, spiral galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.1’x0.9’, SBr=12.4):
Just over half a degree north of the previous object I spotted this one. At 152x it was a very small and fairly dim rounded diffuse glow. Also observed at 199x and 283x, while more obvious it remained weak visually and homogeneous. (New)

NGC 2980 (Sextans, barred spiral, mag=13.0, size=1.6’x0.8’, SBr=13.0):
A mere 8’ north of NGC 2978 I looked for this barred spiral. At 152x it was only suspected as a very dim, diffuse thin oval glow. Going to 199x it was confirmed weakly in the brightened sky, and even at 283x it was quite weak visually, but again verified as being present in the field of view. (New)

NGC 2992 (Hydra, spiral galaxy, mag=12.2, size=3.7’x0.9’, SBr=13.2):
Dropping south into Hydra again, I located the field for a pair of galaxies about 4° south of NGC 2979. The pair is also catalogued as the interacting duo, Arp 245. NGC 2992 is the northern of the two, and at 152x presented a dim small thin oval disk that was homogeneous to the eye. Viewing with 199x it remained smooth in appearance, but more obvious within the field. (New)

NGC 2993 (Hydra, spiral galaxy, mag=12.6, size=1.3’x0.9’, SBr=12.9):
The southern of the pair Arp 245, was this second spiral. It was slightly dimmer than its neighbor, but not by much. Small and more of a rounded oval, it was dim at 152x, showing an evenly illuminated disk. Taking a look at 199x, it remained homogeneous, but slightly more obvious. Unfortunately I could not detect any hints visually of their interactive nature, but please see the following image. (New)

Here is a deep image of Arp 245 that clearly shows their level of interaction. The image is courtesy of Mt. Lemmon Observatory:
ngc2992.2993wide.jpg

NGC 2902 (Hydra, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.2, size=1.6’x1.3’, SBr=12.7):
Just over 3° west of Arp 245 I found this lenticular. Small and dim at 152x, it presented a smoothly illuminated oval disk. A little more apparent at 199x, it remained a diffuse oval glow. (New)

NGC 2907 (Hydra, spiral galaxy, mag=11.6, size=2.0'x1.2', SBr=12.3):
I located this object 2° south of NGC 2902. Easily located with 152x it displayed a small, and slightly dim oval glow. Homogeneous in appearance initially, at 199x it revealed a subtle uptick in core brightness set within the diffuse disk. (New)

NGC 2924 (Hydra, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.0, size=1.3’x1.2’, SBr=12.0):
My final pair of objects for this outing was found less than one degree ENE of the last object. The brightest of this pair was this elliptical. Its small and slightly dim diffuse out of round disk was easily spotted despite the moon brightened sky. Viewed with 199x it was more obvious but remained a smooth even glow. (New)

IC 546 (Hydra, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.4, size=1.1’x0.7’, SBr=12.9):
About 5’ west of NGC 2924 and between it and mag 7.88 variable OT Hydrae, I spotted this very dim small glow at 152x. Its small thick oval disk was evenly illuminated. Though slightly more obvious at 199x, it remained weak visually and smooth in appearance. (New)

With the moon still illuminating me and the surrounding terrain brightly, and frost forming heavily on the exterior of the scope, I decided after a little over two hours I’d had enough. I counted it a successful outing despite the bright sky. I was quite happy to head inside for some warmth as the temp outside was right at freezing. Not a prolific outing, but fun, challenging and rewarding all rolled into one. Thanks for following along friends, and be sure to get out there whenever you can, as the night sky is a wonderful sight to behold.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 28 February 2023 - galaxy hunting in a moonlit sky?

Post by Unitron48 »

Very successful, I'd say, Alan! Glad you were able to get out and achieve some "astronomical normalcy"!! Three months without a fix would kill me.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Great report again! Thanks!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Wonderful report Alan. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor, but you chose courage to brave a 66% moon out there and go for those galaxies. Nicely done and worthy of the VROD for March 2nd, 2023. Congrats on the award and also great to hear that the heating device minimized the frost.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Sounds like a surprisingly successful session despite the blaring moon. Glad that you pushed through and made a nice evening of it!
Your excellent descriptions really help to put me at the eyepiece with you.
NGC2992 and NGC2993 are absolutely beautiful in the attached image. Do you think that you could have picked up on some of the interactive nature if the moon wasn't dampening the view?
You mentioned that you were using dew strips on the RACI finder (objective and eyepiece) and Rigel Quikfinder unity finder. What type of dew/frost control do you use on the dob?
When you first mentioned the dew heater power supply, I pictured a 5' long dew strip!

Thanks for the great report, congratulations on the VROD, and take care buddy!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on your VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

John Baars wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:45 pm Congratulations on your VROD!
Ditto here!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Alan. This is a very nice observing report from your dark sky house location using the 17.5" Dob. This is a great logging of lots of fine DSO targets in your session and you made up for much lost time with this trip. Thanks for sharing this report with us Alan and congratulations on receiving the much deserved TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:10 pm Very successful, I'd say, Alan! Glad you were able to get out and achieve some "astronomical normalcy"!! Three months without a fix would kill me.

Dave

Thank you Dave. It was nice to get back to my core observing goals for a change. It made me feel more whole again. :icon-smile:

John Baars wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:31 pm Great report again! Thanks!

Thank you John.

helicon wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:39 pm Wonderful report Alan. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor, but you chose courage to brave a 66% moon out there and go for those galaxies. Nicely done and worthy of the VROD for March 2nd, 2023. Congrats on the award and also great to hear that the heating device minimized the frost.

Thank you Michael. While not something I would normally do with the moon that bright, it felt nice to be doing what I like most - hunting galaxies. :icon-smile:

Juno16 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:01 pm Sounds like a surprisingly successful session despite the blaring moon. Glad that you pushed through and made a nice evening of it!
Your excellent descriptions really help to put me at the eyepiece with you.
NGC2992 and NGC2993 are absolutely beautiful in the attached image. Do you think that you could have picked up on some of the interactive nature if the moon wasn't dampening the view?
You mentioned that you were using dew strips on the RACI finder (objective and eyepiece) and Rigel Quikfinder unity finder. What type of dew/frost control do you use on the dob?
When you first mentioned the dew heater power supply, I pictured a 5' long dew strip!

Thanks for the great report, congratulations on the VROD, and take care buddy!

Thank you Jim. While it was more of a struggle than typical to find galaxies with that scope under those skies, I can be a stubborn old man. :icon-smile: Happy you chose to come along on the journey with me and take a peek through the eyepiece with me my friend.

Honestly, I do not believe I would be able to pick up any of the delicate distortion of the arms for either galaxy visually even in the darkest night there. In reading the notes of Steve Gottlieb, he talks about the bridging between them from the distorted arms being dim and an averted vision detail in a 48 inch. So I believe that my wee 17.5 inch would not cut the mustard on that object. I just wanted to share the beautiful image to give perspective to what is truly going on with the pair.

I have an AstroSystems DG-3 heater glued to the back of my 4.25" secondary, which is controlled by a 9v battery presently. But I am thinking of re-wiring it so I can plug it into the dew controller as it can be used on 12v as well. The dew strips I am using on the finders and the controller unit are R-Sky, but there are others such as Thousand Oaks, Kendrick and Astrozap that make the same type of products. The dew strips are plugged into the dual channel controller unit, which in turn is plugged into the power supply. So I have controller mounted up on the upper cage where the finders are, with the main power line to the power supply running down the length of the scope to the rocker box to the supply which is mounted to the outside of the box. I leave the strips and controller mounted fully time, while the power supply is removed after a session to be recharged so its ready for the next time out. Dewing and frosting can really put the kibosh on things so that is why I finally employed the anti-dew gear.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:43 pm
Ditto here!

Dave

Thank you Dave.

Makuser wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:57 pm Hi Alan. This is a very nice observing report from your dark sky house location using the 17.5" Dob. This is a great logging of lots of fine DSO targets in your session and you made up for much lost time with this trip. Thanks for sharing this report with us Alan and congratulations on receiving the much deserved TSS VROD Award today.

Thank you Marshall, appreciate you taking the time to read of my moonlit adventure! :icon-smile:
Alan

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Way to brave the elements and the Moon Alan! How would you estimate Moon-lit sky at Bortle 3-4 compares to Moon-free sky at Bortle 6 at home?

Congrats on the VROD and 3,400 galaxies observed! Very impressive milestone.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:28 pm Way to brave the elements and the Moon Alan! How would you estimate Moon-lit sky at Bortle 3-4 compares to Moon-free sky at Bortle 6 at home?

Congrats on the VROD and 3,400 galaxies observed! Very impressive milestone.

Thank you Andrey. I know the impact of the moon varies by the amount of illumination and position in the sky, but in this case at 66% illumination high in the sky, I felt that the sky was still a little better than a moonless night at home. I will say that when the moon is beaming down on you, you might not feel that way because of the brightness, but I felt I could see more stars anyway with the naked eye. However, if the moon were fully illuminated, then I might say otherwise. I remember observing with a quarter moon over there last year or the year before, and while it was bothersome to my naked eye, I still had little problem picking up galaxies as long as I was working away from the moon.

Now if the moon were full and overhead in the sky, the brightness has been measured by some to be about 18.0 mpss (mags per square arc second). I took a reading at home the last time I was out and got a 19.36 mpss. While I did not take a reading this time at the dark site, I am typically about 2.0 mpss darker (about 21.3 to 21.5 or darker). So the impact at the dark site is typically more severe than at home where the sky is already brighter anyway. I remember once when Venus was relatively high in the western sky one evening at the dark site, it was very bothersome to me. I had to make certain I was observing with my back turned to it as its brightness bothered my eyes and dark adaptation. Given a choice, I will of course take no moon whenever I can! :icon-smile:
Alan

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

galaxy hunting in a moonlit sky?
That's... crazy talk... :wink: :lol:

Impressive session!
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

pakarinen wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:41 pm
galaxy hunting in a moonlit sky?
That's... crazy talk... :wink: :lol:

Impressive session!

Thanks Olen. Yeah I know, it is crazy talk. I would not normally do it with a moon over 50% illumination, preferably less, and no moon at all in the best case scenario. But having been out of the loop as far as observing for a while, I was willing to throw caution to the wind! :lol:
Alan