John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

There is the Pup again!

Post by John Baars »

This winter the Pup ( doggie of) Sirius was not so popular. Beautiful clear calm nights were therefore scarce. But it is still there. And despite the bad weather, I did see a few reported.
I decided I would take on a fun challenge: Sirius B, the Pup. It's not at its most favorable position until 2025, but 2023 or 2025 doesn't make much difference to the Pup. An extra half a second of arc or so.

This year I wasn't the first, but I wouldn't be living up to my name if I didn't make at least one observation this season.

Tonight the seeing was good enough. First things first of course, so I took out my binoculars on the conjunction of Jupiter and Venus...a beautiful sight...
Then the telescope. First a quick look at the Moon, then M42, Sigma Orionis and M47. The 102mm f/5 Skywatcher Startravel, a widefielder, tried hard and passed the exercises on Rigel and Alnitak with flying colors. So I ventured out.
Sigma Orionis 01 March 2023.png

Old sketch, but still an ever so nice sight in a telescope.

Why take a richfield telescope on a date with double stars? Doesn't really go anywhere, were it not for the fact that it is my newest telescope. And you want to test it out a bit... ;)

Alnitak:
Alnitakfinal.jpg

Image generated in Aberrator

For separating Alnitak A and B I needed a magnification way beyond the normal use in a richfield telescope. At 250X the coma of 0.2 Wave began to hinder a bit as you can see. Never mind, I will seldom use it with this telescope.

Following the "low magnification-on-the-pup-school" I first put 125X into the telescope. ( low magnification minimizes seeing-spickles) There I suspected it already. Then to 45X and when the mini dot I had in my sights stayed in place continuously for more than half a minute, I knew for sure. There it is again!

Sirius en Rigel - kopie.jpg

Again a somewhat older sketch. Rigel and Sirius compared. Sirius B is the little square dot at 8 o'clock.

Thanks for reading!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: There is the Pup again!

Post by Unitron48 »

Nice capture and sketches, John. Splitting the Pup is always a treat!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Very well done John. Sounds like you are starting out with a bang this year! Great report and fine sketches.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi John. A very nice observing report including Sirius B and Alnitak B using your new Sky-Watcher Startravel telescope. Thanks for your well written report John and also the great artwork sketches that you made.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice sketches John. They do give the right perspective on what to expect with the Pup. So, how do you like your 100ST so far?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

It's great John that you were able to try out the new scope on these two stars. And even at a fast f ratio you were mostly successful! Excellent sketches as well!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Nakedgun United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Nakedgun »

~

One day soon I must try for the Pup. Never seen it.

"A republic, madam, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Excellent observation John!
The 102 mm really seems to be performing well for you.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Thanks to all for your kind remarks!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:57 pm Nice sketches John. They do give the right perspective on what to expect with the Pup. So, how do you like your 100ST so far?
So far it doesn't disappoint me. Widefields are great. Details on the Moon and contrast are just under a f/9 ED refractor with magnifications until 125X. Above that the differences become more and more obvious. However one has to take in account that it is a Chinese f/5 mass-produced factory achromat. I am not talking about the CA, but the overall workmanship which, while adequate, is not top notch. One has to monitor the performance of the focusser closely and repeatedly. And adjust it accordingly. The same goes for the light management; although surprisingly good , black and effective really, I still flocked the inside of the focusing tube and all other inside walls still visible. What I will improve in the future is the 0.2 Wave coma. I have done that before with my former 150 f/5 too. I will make a report on that by then.
Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:34 am Excellent observation John!
The 102 mm really seems to be performing well for you.
Yes, well, so far so good. I knew beforehand that I would make some alterations before it would satisfy my "taste". The focusser is one, the flocking is two and the 0.2 wave coma is three. I know that my requirements exceed the manufacturer's goals. It remains a fun challenge to take a well-functioning instrument to the next level, although it will never meet the standards of a well built f/9 Vixen of course. The factory-settings are well enough to meet the standards of wide-field lovers. Every scope has its own sky, you know what I mean of course. A real relief is the fact that it is so lightweight and so very easy to use as a grabngo. Coupled with its widefield nature makes it an attractive telescope for me.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

helicon wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:49 pm It's great John that you were able to try out the new scope on these two stars. And even at a fast f ratio you were mostly successful! Excellent sketches as well!
Thanks. Well, I made some alterations as you can see in my previous post. Separating doubles is not really his cup of tea :icon-smile: Sirius B is just a matter of seeing and transparancy. Alnitak with his much much closer separation was more hindered by seeing, SA and Coma (of both 0.2 wave) than I expected. It was a real pain in the neck. It showed that the instrument only narrowly (maybe even not) meets the requirement of diffraction limited.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Nakedgun wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:41 am ~

One day soon I must try for the Pup. Never seen it.

You don't have to hurry. Widest separation will be in 2025, two years from now. That will be just 0.5 arcsecond wider than now. So you will have at least until 2027 before it is the same as its current separation. First time I separated it was in 2011. Plenty of time until 2039!
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

John Baars wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:38 am Thanks to all for your kind remarks!
Congratulations John on winning the VROD for the day (3-3-2023), this is the kind of report where we all learned something, and of course, enjoyed your sketch work.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great report, John! Congrats on your VROD recognition.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Thanks for the VROD!
I did not expect this in the first place and feel honored by it!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:06 pm Thanks for the VROD!
I did not expect this in the first place and feel honored by it!

Absolutely a merited VROD. Well done John.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Congratulations on the well deserved VROD John, beautiful sketches!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D