March Solar Chats.

Discuss solar related topics.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

Re: March Solar Chats.

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A brave man trying to smother a cat with happiness.
At least there would not be permanent scars if she loves you. :lol:

I would love one of the Coronado but the price is why I do not.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Mark. A nice solar image in white light. It looks like you caught AR3251 in the center and a group AR3250,3253,3254, and 3247 to the lower right. Thanks for sharing this capture with us Mark and I love the photos of Sasha too.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:36 am A brave man trying to smother a cat with happiness.
At least there would not be permanent scars if she loves you. :lol:

I would love one of the Coronado but the price is why I do not.
I was talking to Mike ( in Canada ) recently and he told me that his Coronados had had to be returned to the manufacturer for repair. It seem that the " Rust Problems " haven't gone away. I'd be inclined to stick with Lunt.
Keith.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Do you know if they were of the new III series?
I thought the external filters were supposed to fix that issue. :(
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:30 pm Do you know if they were of the new III series?
I thought the external filters were supposed to fix that issue. :(
Sorry, I'm not sure. Perhaps you could PM Mike Griffiths in Canada. Sorry I don't know his new " handle " but I'm sure he'll advise you. Let me know if you can't find him and I'll e.mail him for you.
Keith.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Tillibobs wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:43 pm
I was talking to Mike ( in Canada ) recently and he told me that his Coronados had had to be returned to the manufacturer for repair. It seem that the " Rust Problems " haven't gone away. I'd be inclined to stick with Lunt.
Keith.
Nice! If you're talking to Mike, tell him Mark says Hi. He's not overly far from where I live either...
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Thanks for the comment all, the cat seems calmer today... It's also Sarah's 18th birthday; her birthday falls on March break so she's had the week off.

Dad rented a large and most importantly, clean and not with a bed full of snow unlike Dad's Ranger, pickup truck last Saturday and asked if she would come with me to Best Buy; I had a few items to get...
We left with a new Sony Bravia 55" TV and an Xbox series X. I think I heard my credit card scream :lol:

She was blown away, the look on her face said it all. Been a fun week; we also played the demo of the new Resident Evil 4 remake coming out on the 24th. Wow!!!
Her and I completed the original on the Gamecube when she was 5. She laughed and said the Regenerators and Iron Maidens used to sometimes give her nightmares....
But she also said that's OK; she'll just forward the therapy bills to me ;)

Anyways, I do have some coin left over, and am thinking of making the plunge into HA. I could afford this; I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on it. The 50mm is approaching 2K here for a basic scope, ouch... Should I get this?
Excellent astro shop BTW; I purchased all my Baader filters (SC, UV/IR, Clear Glass) here. David is the best!!

Lunt40mm.jpg

Any input would be so appreciated :D

Thanks and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Have a word with Mike, he knows more about things Solar than I've forgotten.
keith.
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Tillibobs wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:46 pm Have a word with Mike, he knows more about things Solar than I've forgotten.
keith.
I'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow morning ( Chemotherapy isn't the easiest of things to handle ) I'll send an email to Mike and ask him to put his snow shovel away and give you his views on Solar scopes, blocking filters, focusers etc.
Keith.
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

[/quote]

good evening Mark,
great choice, I spoke to davis this afternoon about my 125mm ts that just arrived.
I had a chance to see what this little guy can do with a 600, imagine a 1200.
I think the 1200 is the best option, visual and resale value.
I'm also thinking of getting this telescope with a 1200.
The reviews of this telescope are excellent too.
The price offered by David is the best I have seen in Canada and the shipping is paid.
I know that it is in backorder for a little while yet .
I have to talk to david next monday when I get back to work.
I can ask him questions if you have any.

bonsoir mon ami .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

For those looking at HA scopes, I must admit I am a little underwhelmed by my 40mm Coronado PST.
Don't get me wrong, I like it, but wish I saved up for something a bit better.
It's a bit finicky, but with some patience I can catch some proms :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Thefatkitty wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:02 pm Thanks for the comment all, the cat seems calmer today... It's also Sarah's 18th birthday; her birthday falls on March break so she's had the week off.

Dad rented a large and most importantly, clean and not with a bed full of snow unlike Dad's Ranger, pickup truck last Saturday and asked if she would come with me to Best Buy; I had a few items to get...
We left with a new Sony Bravia 55" TV and an Xbox series X. I think I heard my credit card scream :lol:

She was blown away, the look on her face said it all. Been a fun week; we also played the demo of the new Resident Evil 4 remake coming out on the 24th. Wow!!!
Her and I completed the original on the Gamecube when she was 5. She laughed and said the Regenerators and Iron Maidens used to sometimes give her nightmares....
But she also said that's OK; she'll just forward the therapy bills to me ;)

Anyways, I do have some coin left over, and am thinking of making the plunge into HA. I could afford this; I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on it. The 50mm is approaching 2K here for a basic scope, ouch... Should I get this?
Excellent astro shop BTW; I purchased all my Baader filters (SC, UV/IR, Clear Glass) here. David is the best!!

Lunt40mm.jpg

Any input would be so appreciated :D

Thanks and all the best,
found this also ,

https://all-startelescope.com/products/ ... -telescope

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Tillibobs wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:21 pm
Tillibobs wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:46 pm Have a word with Mike, he knows more about things Solar than I've forgotten.
keith.
I'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow morning ( Chemotherapy isn't the easiest of things to handle ) I'll send an email to Mike and ask him to put his snow shovel away and give you his views on Solar scopes, blocking filters, focusers etc.
Keith.
Keith, thanks for the feedback. Methinks with the coming snow storm for his area this weekend that shovel will see some more use yet!

No rush and I hope you feel OK. Thank you again and take care of yourself first :D
Mark

Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Hello solar gang , this is Mike the fellow Kieth has mentioned . I have been solar imaging for many years and took a break during this last minimum . I posted a few images here a couple years back and discovered my Blocking filters were "rusting" , this was no surprise because although purchased new they more than 20 years old now and had been used almost daily for many years . This is NOT a weak point with Coronado's , the Lunt B/F's can and do also "rust" , so this is not exclusive to only Coronado B/F's
I sent 2 to Coronado for "ITF" replacement , cost was about $550 CAD for both . I also found source for the ITF filters in Germany and purchased 2 , much cheaper to buy the filter and replace it yourself and these ITF's are better suited for imaging .
I will make another post with a suggestion for Fatkitty , (Mark) later
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

I hope Mike will forgive me for posting these without his permission. They were taken a few years ago when Mike and his good lady toured Europe and we arranged to meet up for the day in London. We had a special day that was really the start of a lasting friendship. How could we resist a few pints at this pub in Notting Hill ?
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

No permission required Kieth !! Yes that was a day I will never forget . I could care less about any British royalty , I got to meet my ole buddy Kieth that day !!
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Yes Mike it started off well and got better and better. We were like 2 peas in a pod
Thanks to Gordon for his help in posting the photos.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

messier 111 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:42 pm
good evening Mark,
great choice, I spoke to davis this afternoon about my 125mm ts that just arrived.
The price offered by David is the best I have seen in Canada and the shipping is paid.

bonsoir mon ami .

Bonjour (nuit?) Jen-Yves, est merci pour ca! I agree, David is very good, a pleasure to deal with. Hope your 125 is OK... You've looked through one of these 40mm's? I wonder how much space is around the Sun and I guess it depends on the lens too.
I've only looked through an HA scope once in my life, a 60mm Lunt at the Ontario Science Center. It was a double-stack Etalon so I was told with a B1200.
I was blown away; ol' Sol looked 3D!!! That was in 2015. I wanted one but also wanted to eat...:lol:

I hear this might come out eventually with the double stack; I might wait and save some more $$$ till it does. Plus talking to Mike (Solsearcher) is something I want to do first. Heck, I'd visit him if he'd have me; I'm only a bit over an hour away from him and I'd bring the beer...

Merci encore une fois!
Mark

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Thefatkitty wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:46 pm
messier 111 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:42 pm
good evening Mark,

bonsoir mon ami .

Bonjour (nuit?) Jen-Yves, est merci pour ca! I agree, David is very good, a pleasure to deal with. Hope your 125 is OK... You've looked through one of these 40mm's? I wonder how much space is around the Sun and I guess it depends on the lens too.
I've only looked through an HA scope once in my life, a 60mm Lunt at the Ontario Science Center. It was a double-stack Etalon so I was told with a B1200.
I was blown away; ol' Sol looked 3D!!! That was in 2015. I wanted one but also wanted to eat...:lol:

I hear this might come out eventually with the double stack; I might wait and save some more $$$ till it does. Plus talking to Mike (Solsearcher) is something I want to do first. Heck, I'd visit him if he'd have me; I'm only a bit over an hour away from him and I'd bring the beer...

Merci encore une fois!
hi my friend .
yes i have already had the chance to see helios through the 40mm.
the space around the sun depends on two things really.
one the occular used and the filter's mm.
the 1200 with a medium magnification should give you a sun with some space around it.
The double stack is already available.
some beer, some friends and a 40mm lunt, it gives a good bbq.
ps: i spoke to henri at la maison de lastronomie in montreal.
they have a lunt 40 with a bf 400 at 949$.
The price is great but the bf is too small for my taste.
I should be able to go get my 125mm ts soon and a cloud group lol
take care my friend.

― Isaac Asimov

Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

I realize I am not known here but wish to offer some friendly advice before you pull the trigger on any solar scope .
My advice is to learn and understand about how these scopes work first . There are 3 types of etalon filters ! tilt tuned "external" or "internal" (Lunt and Coronado) 2 pressure tuned "internal" (Lunt internal) and full aperture tilt tuned etalons . 3 are temperature tuned these are the Daystar products .
The scope Fatkitty is considering is a 40mm tilt tuned external etalon with optional choice of blocking filters .
The simple blocking filter explanation is the larger the mm the larger the field . If you want the largest area for imaging you want the largest B/F For viewing smaller B/F.s reduce the field and resemble looking through a straw .
The Lunt 40 is an entry level scope using a full aperture tilt tuned etalon , with a big enough B/F it would make a good grab and go for visual but would be limited and a poor choice for imaging in my opinion .