Articles: 1043

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

March Solar Chats.

Post by Gordon »

Well here we are. March already.

At least in my 'sunny Arizona' location (not!) I haven't been able to do much solar work.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: March Solar Chats.

Post by Thefatkitty »

March already is right. DST on the 12th, my daughter turns 18 on the 16th, finally St. Paddy's is on a Friday, then spring on the 20th. :D

Were supposedly in for 20-30cm's (8 inches to a foot) of the white fluffy stuff on Friday, with more to follow next week :cry:

Methinks you won't be seeing much from me solar-wise in the next bit; I hope you all have better luck!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Gordon and Mark. March certainly is going to be a busy month and you forgot the Roman "Ides of March" on the 15th (also called doomsday). The weather here has warmed up this last week but we still have 90/95% humidity most mornings and tapers off only a little bit later in the day. Hopefully I can get out and do some solar white viewing soon with one of my refractors and a solar filter, as the sun has really been heating up a lot lately and there should be some great active regions to see.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Well, guess who got lucky today :lol: After Fridays (March 3rd) massive dump of snow and the weekend of humidity and snow fit for making a snowman with slightly above freezing temps, I woke up today to clear AM skies and crunchy snow underfoot with a temperature of -15F (5C).

I got in at 2PM and used my C80-HD with Baader 5.0 OD film and Baader Solar Continuum with UV/IR filters. 150 shots at ISO 800 at 1/200th sec exp with my Canon EOS 550D. Aligned in PIPP and the best 75% of the pics stacked in AS3. Mild sharpening in PSP9 with the planets to scale.

Sun_03_07_2023s.jpg

Sun_03_07_2023a.jpg

Full size image here

Hope you're having some luck as well!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Thanks for posting Mark, excellent images ! We actually had some clear sky yesterday and I've decided to get my Lunt ready for action on my next " good " day. The Sun is getting higher in the sky by the day. On the downside we have snow forecast up to the weekend.
LDW47 Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by LDW47 »

I have progressed up through the solar ranks over the last few years, I started with a PST, a 1.25" Lunt solar wedge and a couple of different size Baader WL filters for a couple of my refractors. Then I bought an Altair Astro 2" wedge and a Lunt 40mm Ha scope and I just sold it and moved up to the Lunt 50mm because I wanted to try the pressure tuning feature. I mounted my scopes on AZ mounts until I bought a SW HelioFind mount, a huge jump forward, it functions perfectly. Unfortunately I have yet to try the new 50 because of the well below freezing temps and lack of sun that hasn't been free of ice crystals the last few months. This solar world has been exciting and has sure extended my viewing time during retirement (75 yrs old) !
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

I haven't had the chance to use my apm wedge yet.
the temperature here is execrable to be polite.
but I know that the days are longer and hotter so my turn will come.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

messier 111 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:15 pm the temperature here is execrable to be polite.
:lol:!! Le meme chose ici mon ami!! But at least so far it's clear. Hope you get a chance to try it soon :D

Second clear day in a row and only -10C (14F); better than yesterday.

Same scope, equipment, camera and settings as above.

Sun_03_08_2023s.jpg

Full size image here

Methinks that's the end of my little run.

@Tillibobs, hope you have some luck Keith!!

All the best,
Mark

Solar:
3052 Member of the RASC
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very nice take , I can't wait to see Helios. thx .

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello Mark. Some very nice solar images in white light. Lots of active regions visible, and as always, I enjoy the size comparisons and annotations. Thanks for sharing these with us Mark and the best of wishes for many clear skies.
Marshall
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Thanks Marshall! But I'd gladly trade my views of the Sun for your views of rocket launches!!

Well, third day's a charm. This will be my last views of the Sun for a bit. Snow expected tomorrow...

Sun_03_09_2023s.jpg

Sun_03_09_2023a.jpg

Full size image here

I've also been looking at HA scopes... Wow, a 40mm Lunt is barely within my budget. I was thinking about the Daystar as well. Either way, ouch! Any other options?

Clear skies to you all,
Mark

Solar:
3052 Member of the RASC
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by NGC 1365 »

A sketch of todays large prom as seen through a Lunt LS100THa at 143 and 204x magnification from near Sydney Australia.
Attachments
PXL_20230311_042929765[4850] (2).jpg
Ivan
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1043

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Here's one from the other day.

Prom3 3-8-2023.png

Telescope: Explore Scientific ED80CF
Mount: Orion Atlas EQ-g
Camera: ZWO ASI174mm-c
Filter: Daystar Quark Chromosphere
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by NGC 1365 »

Here's the large prom that sprung up within the last day, sketched at 9.15am local time Sydney Australia. I had another look at it around 3pm and it was starting to lift off. but still anchored at one point. A thunderstorm came through 15 minutes later and it was all over half hour later (the prom and the storm). The liftoff can be seen on the GONG Learmonth site.
Sketched as seen through a Lunt LS100 single stacked scope at 143x magnification
Attachments
PXL_20230311_225647584[4853].jpg
Ivan
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Some great images from you all!
I managed to get out for about 20 minutes with the wedge, very enjoyable as it has not happened as much as I would like lately.
I am going to have to start thinking about a new Ha refractor soon.

Good luck everyone.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Gabrielle and all. Thanks for the many great solar images on this thread. I have been working on getting a Lunt Ha telescope for years now, but when I see the fantastic solar Ha images from Gordon and others here on TSS using the Daystar Quark Chromosphere, I am starting to change my mind. I can use this on one my telescopes and not have to buy another mount. Something to think about.
Marshall
>)))))*>
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

It's horses for courses Marshall. I tried a Quark a few years ago but found I wasted too much time dialing in the various temperatures etc. I'm not knocking the Quark, just saying it's not for me ( in fact it's with Fraz now to see what he can make of it ) It'll have to be good to compare with his Mods.
Keith.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

If going to dive into the Ha pool, good with both feet first :)
https://www.meade.com/coronado-h-alpha- ... h-bf30.pdp
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Thanks for the above, all, and thanks Keith. I was looking at the Quark but a big Hmmm on that... I prefer less electronics :D And Gabrielle, I agree on the scope but the price tag? Wow is all I can say!

I'll satisfy myself with everyone else's HA shots/sketches for the moment :D

We've had less sunlight here the past few months since well before I was born; 83 years.

ontario-just-lived-through-one-of-the-darkest-winters-in-more-than-80-years

Today though was sunny from the get go. I felt good having the Sun rise to clear skies at 7AM; getting all that Vitamin D from ol' Sol. The glare though from the snow was blinding!

I rolled in at 2:30 PM in a great mood and thought to share my sunny day with Sasha the cat who was waiting at the back door. Sarah thought to take a video of all this. You can see it's already not going well 5 seconds into it...

cat01.jpg

Sasha was not in the mood to share my happiness. So happy to see me, so angry when I acknowledge her royal presence.

cat02.jpg

Yup, time to let the feline be...

cat03.jpg

She satisfied herself with some dry food and I got my usual white light arsenal. If I had realised that there was so little going on with ol' Sol I might have skipped this photo session. For what it's worth:

Sun_03_15_2023s.jpg

Full size image here

Tonight was supposed to be clear, but that's not going to happen. At least the feline is at rest....

sky.jpg

Half a month to go for March; should be fun to see how it works out.

All the best,
Mark

Solar:
3052 Member of the RASC
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Thefatkitty wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:44 am Thanks for the above, all, and thanks Keith. I was looking at the Quark but a big Hmmm on that... I prefer less electronics :D And Gabrielle, I agree on the scope but the price tag? Wow is all I can say!

I'll satisfy myself with everyone else's HA shots/sketches for the moment :D

We've had less sunlight here the past few months since well before I was born; 83 years.

ontario-just-lived-through-one-of-the-darkest-winters-in-more-than-80-years

Today though was sunny from the get go. I felt good having the Sun rise to clear skies at 7AM; getting all that Vitamin D from ol' Sol. The glare though from the snow was blinding!

I rolled in at 2:30 PM in a great mood and thought to share my sunny day with Sasha the cat who was waiting at the back door. Sarah thought to take a video of all this. You can see it's already not going well 5 seconds into it...

cat01.jpg

Sasha was not in the mood to share my happiness. So happy to see me, so angry when I acknowledge her royal presence.

cat02.jpg

Yup, time to let the feline be...

cat03.jpg

She satisfied herself with some dry food and I got my usual white light arsenal. If I had realised that there was so little going on with ol' Sol I might have skipped this photo session. For what it's worth:

Sun_03_15_2023s.jpg

Full size image here

Tonight was supposed to be clear, but that's not going to happen. At least the feline is at rest....

sky.jpg

Half a month to go for March; should be fun to see how it works out.

All the best,
I have no problem believing you, I would say in Quebec near Ottawa, for my cause.
The winter has been and is still very dark, filled with clouds and clouds and clouds.
I guess you got it, clouds.
nice cat and pictures .

merci pour le lien mon ami.

― Isaac Asimov