March Solar Chats.

Discuss solar related topics.
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: March Solar Chats.

Post by Solsearcher »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:30 pm Do you know if they were of the new III series?
I thought the external filters were supposed to fix that issue. :(
Hello Lady Fraktor , I purchased my SM 60 more than 20 tears ago and have used it daily for about 17 of those years and it has served me well and continues to do so . This scope has always been double stacked so has always had an external etalon and did nothing to prevent blocking filter failure .The B/F.'s have 2 filter elements , one is called the ITF , this is the one that "rusts" . I have 3 Coronado solar scopes about the same age and 2 of the 3 B/F"s failed . The 2 I sent to Coronado for repair were B-15 (15mm) so the largest of the 3 options . Cost to repair was about 250 each CAD . I did find a source for the ITF element and bought 2 for $40 each .
I do not consider this a weak point , I was using my scopes literally every the day the sun was out through hot summers and below freezing winters . My scopes were never in the house but climatized at the ready in the garage year round .
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Plus talking to Mike (Solsearcher) is something I want to do first. Heck, I'd visit him if he'd have me; I'm only a bit over an hour away from him and I'd bring the beer...

Hey Mark , do you not remember I invited you a couple years ago to come out and I would explain it all to you ? You are welcome anytime and no ned to bring the beer !! I just happen to have a surplus PST kicking around at the moment .
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Ylem wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:21 am For those looking at HA scopes, I must admit I am a little underwhelmed by my 40mm Coronado PST.
Don't get me wrong, I like it, but wish I saved up for something a bit better.
It's a bit finicky, but with some patience I can catch some proms :)
I loved my PST and at one point I installed a set of 60mm finderscope rings onto the tube of my 150 mm f/8 refractor.
Ha with the 40 mm and white light with the wedge, just move your eye from one to the other :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I have a soft spot for Coronado though the Lunt is good too.
The only reason I do not have one now is someone decided they needed my PST more than I did and the price of the new series!!
Though the Coronado are more expensive than the Lunt, the ultimate Ha refractor is a Daystar Quantum but they make the Coronado seem like
pocket change in price!
The solar observatory a few km away has one and it cost close to the amount of my home but the views are simply amazing.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

That is amazing!
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Solsearcher wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:35 am Plus talking to Mike (Solsearcher) is something I want to do first. Heck, I'd visit him if he'd have me; I'm only a bit over an hour away from him and I'd bring the beer...

Hey Mark , do you not remember I invited you a couple years ago to come out and I would explain it all to you ? You are welcome anytime and no ned to bring the beer !! I just happen to have a surplus PST kicking around at the moment .
Mike, sorry for the late response; I just saw this :doh: Funny, I was in the Dundas area of Hamilton earlier this week, and going down HWY 8 my choices were the QEW or Brantford...

Well Mike, tell you what, if winter ever goes away I will do just that. I remember you did invite me before, but I think that was before the pandemic hit. I'll still bring the beer :D I'd love a hands-on education on all this; you'd find me an eager student!
Thank you again!

And since it's the last day for this month's edition of Solar Chat (thank you Gordon) I did get some shots off of our star in white-light yesterday in the late afternoon. Today it was back to snow and freezing rain.

Not the best stack but not the best sky. And the Sun was not overly active either. You win some....

Sun_03_30_2023.jpg

Hopefully April works out better for us all :D
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Mark I will send you a PM