Best Night Sky Events of March 2023

Post topics on how to set up, EP selection, cold/wet weather outings, gear transportation, target selection etc.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Best Night Sky Events of March 2023

Post by Makuser »

Hi all. Here is the latest report from Starry Night Software and Chris Vaughan, at Space.com. It provides information on several interesting observing opportunities throughout the month of Marc h. Here are just a few: Wednesday, March 1 - Venus Kisses Jupiter (early evening), Thursday, March 2 - Mercury Meets Saturn (before sunrise), Friday, March 3 - Bright Moon Passes the Beehive (all night), Monday, March 6 - Sirius Sparkles like a Diamond (all night), Thursday, March 9 - Evening Zodiacal Light (after dusk), Saturday, March 11 - Ceres Cozy With Messier 91 (all night), Saturday, March 18 - The Spectacular Orion Nebula (evening), Monday, March 20 - March Equinox (at 21:24 GMT), Tuesday, March 21 - Ceres at Opposition (all night), Wednesday, March 22 - Sliver of Moon Meets Jupiter (after sunset), Thursday, March 23 - Earthshine Moon Approaches Venus (after sunset), Friday, March 24 - Crescent Moon near Uranus (evening), Saturday, March 25 - Crescent Moon Passes the Pleiades (evening), Sunday, March 26 - Ceres Grazes a Galaxy (all night), Monday, March 27 - Bright Moon Approaches Red Mars (evening), Tuesday, March 28 - The Moon and Mars in the Winter Hexagon (evening), Wednesday, March 29 - Mars Passes Messier 35 (overnight), Thursday, March 30 - Venus Passes Uranus (evening), Friday, March 31 - Inner Planets after Sunset (after sunset), and much more. It also includes lots of other interesting pictures, maps, charts, and information including excellent planet positions and data for this month:
https://www.space.com/16149-night-sky.html
I hope this helps with your observing plans and that it is useful to you (with lots of Lunar events this month). Thanks for looking, and the best of wishes for many clear night skies.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Best Night Sky Events of March 2023

Post by messier 111 »

thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Best Night Sky Events of March 2023

Post by kt4hx »

Thank you Marshall. Of particular interest to myself is Ceres grazing the very northern edge of Messier 100 in Coma Berenices. This even happens the evening of 26 March and lasts from about 2000 through 0000 hours EDT that evening in the eastern US. Should be interesting, and if one watches long enough, proper motion should be detected. Main thing is not to confuse it with a supernova! Conditions permitting, I hope to be observing this event.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)