The Barlow Lens ?

Discussion of optical systems and their characteristics.
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: The Barlow Lens ?

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Thank you Lady Fraktor for your comments .
I’m sure my scope is spot on as far as collimating goes because I see the other planets and things crystal clear my only two “ problems “are Mars and Venus.
If you saw that video I put up with Venus you can see the disk but no detail.

Last summer when Saturn was really close I could see the rings moving perfectly and Jupiter with its bands I could see they all and the red spot.
My eyes only water rarely but usually at the end of a session.
Last edited by Frankskywatcher on Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Is anyone familiar with these two barlows ?
The price is certainly attractive ?
Attachments
BAE134A7-62B8-40D2-9E79-85C800CB8DEE.jpeg
5AD4BC25-BDF0-4ECF-A23D-D8528A052D21.jpeg
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:39 pm Is anyone familiar with these two barlows ?
Those are good finds. Classic barlows made in Japan in a good shape. I believe I had that Orion's at one point.

The only potential issue as owner indicated the form factor. They used to make them long and you may have focuser travel issue or barlow colliding with diagonal (like I had). This is why I recommend "shorty" barlows like Baader.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:48 pm
Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:39 pm Is anyone familiar with these two barlows ?
Those are good finds. Classic barlows made in Japan in a good shape. I believe I had that Orion's at one point.

The only potential issue as owner indicated the form factor. They used to make them long and you may have focuser travel issue or barlow colliding with diagonal (like I had). This is why I recommend "shorty" barlows like Baader.
Yes I was wondering about that, the longer focal length,I saw somewhere that said generally the longer barlows produce a better image but again I’m fumbling in the dark here.
I would like to get one but as I joke with my kid and say “ I’m on a fixed income “ lol I don’t want to spend a ton that’s why I’m looking at used.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:28 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:48 pm

Yes I was wondering about that, the longer focal length,I saw somewhere that said generally the longer barlows produce a better image but again I’m fumbling in the dark here.
I would like to get one but as I joke with my kid and say “ I’m on a fixed income “ lol I don’t want to spend a ton that’s why I’m looking at used.
It is easier to configure long barlow, so within $30 price range I would go with long barlow. But you can find used good quality shorties at ~$50. They require less focuser travel and thus would be compatible with larger selection of scopes and EPs.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

This is a good quality shorty. I have one of those

https://www.cloudynights.com/classified ... an-barlow/

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Makuser wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:08 pm Hi Frank. Here is a nice deal on the TeleVue 2.5X 1.25" Powermate from a well known popular supplier:
https://www.highpointscientific.com/tel ... e-pmt-2513
I hope this helps Frank and the very best of regards.
I was looking at all the power mates but they are out of my price range.
I was however impressed with the badder 1.25” 2.25 Q Barlow for $63 with shipping that was suggested to me by Bigzmey.

https://agenaastro.com/baader-q-barlow-bqb-2956185.html

I like the fact that it converts from 2.25 to 1.3 when removed from the cell.
I just might pull the trigger on it,not sure if it matters that they say it was made to be used with other badder EPs ?

Before I do pull the trigger I will wait to see if other agree about the Badder Barlow suggested.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:43 pm
Makuser wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:08 pm Hi Frank. Here is a nice deal on the TeleVue 2.5X 1.25" Powermate from a well known popular supplier:
https://www.highpointscientific.com/tel ... e-pmt-2513
I hope this helps Frank and the very best of regards.
I was looking at all the power mates but they are out of my price range.
I was however impressed with the badder 1.25” 2.25 Q Barlow for $63 with shipping that was suggested to me by Bigzmey.

https://agenaastro.com/baader-q-barlow-bqb-2956185.html

I like the fact that it converts from 2.25 to 1.3 when removed from the cell.
I just might pull the trigger on it,not sure if it matters that they say it was made to be used with other badder EPs ?

Before I do pull the trigger I will wait to see if other agree about the Badder Barlow suggested.
I use the Baader Q barlow with all sorts of EPs and scopes in my collection at 2.25x. Using the cell at 1.3x is limited by the type of EP. Some of the more complex EPs have optical elements built into 1.25" barrel so they don't have room to accommodate the barlow cell. But it will work with simple designs (Orthos, Plossls, etc.)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:43 pm Before I do pull the trigger I will wait to see if other agree about the Badder Barlow suggested.
If you look through the comments to this Baader set review, you will see nFA and JG commenting about quality of the barlow.

viewtopic.php?t=7056

and No, I don't get commissions from Baader. :D

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:06 am
Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:43 pm Before I do pull the trigger I will wait to see if other agree about the Badder Barlow suggested.
If you look through the comments to this Baader set review, you will see nFA and JG commenting about quality of the barlow.

viewtopic.php?t=7056

and No, I don't get commissions from Baader. :D
I read the article and saw the “ No I don’t get a commission’s from Baader”!😁
They gave it a good review “ it falls someone behind top tier barlow’s like Tel Vue but out performed many mid range barlow’s”!
I’m very interested in getting it and it’s also for “ fast “ scopes like my 10” dob so there’s that also.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:31 pm
jrkirkham wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:55 pm I think it is a matter of choice and everyone is different. Some people don't use barlow lenses and others always use them. I have had a number of eye problems. I like the extra eye relief I get by using a barlow with a lower powered eyepiece. I have three barlows: 2X, 2.5X, and 3X. I use them every time I oberve. My favorite is my 2.5X 1.25 Powermate.
Thank you for your input because what you said about eye relief was what got me thinking about them.
For example trying to look at Venus no matter what EP I use all I see in reality is a bright disk.
When looking at Jupiter or Saturn this past few months I could see the rings on Saturn and the” lines”on Jupiter as well as the moons on both planets.
However looking at both Venus and Mars all I see is a yellow disk and an orange disk and I can’t look at them for long or my eye will tear up,I don’t know if that because of the eye relief of the lower MM EP’s and or would a Barlow help with that ?

P.S. I forgot to add that this is another reason I’m asking about barlow’s because when they come up for sale on CN they get snapped up !

You might want to get your eyes checked, just to be safe. One of the first indications I had of eye problems was that I could no longer see any detail on Jupiter. I kept thinking something was wrong with my telescope. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I could still see stars and low light objects, but I couldn't see bright objects on dark backgrounds. That was one of the reasons I joined photography with observing. I wasn't so concerned with the beauty of my pictures. I had to use them to study details in my targets. Most of us have weaker eyesight as we get older, but it never hurts to have checkups from time to time.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

UPDATE :::
I now have in my possession an Orion Shorty - Plus 3-Element 2 X Barlow Lens fully multi coated lens!
I was watching and looking for the same exact lens on cloudy nights, but as fast as they would come up for sale they would get bought up in a snap!

I wanted this particular Barlow because it got rave reviews and there was a $20 version of it but it only had two elements,this one back in the day went for about 70 bucks.
The thing is you can’t get them anymore they discontinued, but they have gotten so many super reviews for the money as I said and they are great for my 10 inch job for the travel and focal length in the tube.

So here’s just another reason why I love this forum and my good friend Marshall, I E :Makuser .
He offered to give me this exact bottle because he had one that he was not using this fine man had already given me a whole set of lenses for absolutely nothing for free!!!!
However,I told him this time around I could not accept it unless he agreed to take ($$) something for it, especially after the gift of four free eyepieces a complete set actually.
So in closing I have a barlow now, thanks to the generosity of my good friend here in the forum Marshall MAKUSER !!!

Oh, I almost left out the most important part here.
He literally got the last Barlow from Orion before the tsunami hit and wiped out the factory so that in itself is immensely cool.
Attachments
81C152BD-144D-48E6-9A91-86901F0C1728.jpeg
ECC2B3AD-472D-4306-A1FE-A7F1840FF0C8.jpeg
C4AA4936-D30F-4496-9024-EA54BA42410A.jpeg

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats Frank and kudos to Marshall! I have the same model and it is a keeper.

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Congrats Frank with this Barlow. I haven't got one myself but I know it is a good one!
@Makuser : Chapeau with deep bow!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:03 pm UPDATE :::
I now have in my possession an Orion Shorty - Plus 3-Element 2 X Barlow Lens fully multi coated lens!
I was watching and looking for the same exact lens on cloudy nights, but as fast as they would come up for sale they would get bought up in a snap!

I wanted this particular Barlow because it got rave reviews and there was a $20 version of it but it only had two elements,this one back in the day went for about 70 bucks.
The thing is you can’t get them anymore they discontinued, but they have gotten so many super reviews for the money as I said and they are great for my 10 inch job for the travel and focal length in the tube.

So here’s just another reason why I love this forum and my good friend Marshall, I E :Makuser .
He offered to give me this exact bottle because he had one that he was not using this fine man had already given me a whole set of lenses for absolutely nothing for free!!!!
However,I told him this time around I could not accept it unless he agreed to take ($$) something for it, especially after the gift of four free eyepieces a complete set actually.
So in closing I have a barlow now, thanks to the generosity of my good friend here in the forum Marshall MAKUSER !!!

Oh, I almost left out the most important part here.
He literally got the last Barlow from Orion before the tsunami hit and wiped out the factory so that in itself is immensely cool.

That is one of my favorite Barlows of all time. It is WAY better than the Orion Shorty that has hung around for years.
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello Frank. It was my pleasure to send you that fine Barlow lens and I hope that you will have many great views and observing sessions using it with your AD10 telescope.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Makuser wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:21 pm Hello Frank. It was my pleasure to send you that fine Barlow lens and I hope that you will have many great views and observing sessions using it with your AD10 telescope.
Thank you so much my friend !
I took it out the other night and even just looking at the moon the level of detail was sublime !

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars