Discuss astronomy books / magazines.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Annals of the Deep Sky vs Burnham's?

Post by pakarinen »

Thoughts on AoDS versus Burnham's?

I'm sure any photography / illustrations in Annals are much better than my half-century old Burnham's. Just wondering if the AoDS content is worth buying a set at $25 per volume when and if they're available. Better to pick and choose volumes with constellations of interest vs trying to get a complete set?
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Annals of the Deep Sky vs Burnham's?

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks for the reminder!!!

I 've wanted the Burnham series for quite awhile and just kept putting it off. Just ordered the three volumes from Thriftbooks (used paperbacks) for $18 including shipping. Finally!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I have never looked at AODS but I love my Burnham.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Juno16 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:29 pm Thanks for the reminder!!!

I 've wanted the Burnham series for quite awhile and just kept putting it off. Just ordered the three volumes from Thriftbooks (used paperbacks) for $18 including shipping. Finally!
Vols 1,2, and 3? Looks like you cleaned them out. :lol:

Please post your impressions of the content, format, etc. if you get a chance.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

pakarinen wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:35 pm
Juno16 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:29 pm Thanks for the reminder!!!

Vols 1,2, and 3? Looks like you cleaned them out. :lol:

Please post your impressions of the content, format, etc. if you get a chance.
Wow! Good timing on your thread, thanks!

Will do.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Late to the chat. I have two sets of the Burnham series. Glad you finally got a set JIm and truly hope you like them. It has been quite some time since I've cracked mine open to be truthful, but am quite glad to have them. I also have volumes 1 through 8 of Annals. Honestly they are quite different, though on the surface one could get the idea they might be similar. Some would also toss the Night Sky Observing Guide series into the mix as well. While similar in nature, the three are different.

What I see as the main difference between Burnham's and Annals besides the much improved images and illustrations in Annals, plus updated and more scientific information, is in the writing and presentation. Burnham's is like observing with a good friend and discussing what you are seeing. Annals is more matter of fact, scientific and historical in nature. I honestly would not use either as an in the field observing guide, but certainly both could be used for planning. The NSOG is the closest to an actual observing guide by its structure, but is also a bit bulky to use in the field.

Again for myself I feel they all have a place in terms of reading and reference. I've read all eight of the Annals editions currently available. Again, I see them more as tools for planning, not really for field use. All are worthy of having on your bookshelf if you want them.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I'm inclined to order a few of each, but I think I'm close to the realm of:

Tsundoku (積ん読) - the phenomenon of acquiring reading materials but letting them pile up in one's home without reading them.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

pakarinen wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:22 am I'm inclined to order a few of each, but I think I'm close to the realm of:

Tsundoku (積ん読) - the phenomenon of acquiring reading materials but letting them pile up in one's home without reading them.

I’ve got you there, but I haven’t had that happen with an astro book.
Really looking forward to receiving the Burnham series. It’s due to arrive on Monday.
Jim

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

pakarinen wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:22 am I'm inclined to order a few of each, but I think I'm close to the realm of:

I understand that realm! :icon-smile: Most of my Annals were read while I was overseas on work related trips. Same when I used to subscribe to S&T and Astronomy magazines. They would pile up unread until I went on a trip. I always had other things to do at home it seemed. I have numerous books from Wilmann-Bell, most of which I have read cover to cover - but usually on a business trip. I have heard the 9th issue of Annals is completed, and its subject matter is the Magellanic Clouds. I haven't heard about its release however.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I've gotten in the habit of taking an astro book with me when I drive somewhere. My wife can spend an hour browsing in a grocery store, so I stay in the car and read. Actually, she doesn't like me "hovering" when she shops, so it works out well for both of us. Same thing with picking somebody up from the airport or an appointment or something.

I used to ride a train for my daily work commute and that was a great time to catch up on S&T and such, but those days are over, at least for now.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Yeah, I am now fully retired. My business travel overseas ceased when Covid hit hard, so I just fully retired and started taking my Social Security. Sometimes we choose our life changes, sometimes other things make the choice for us.
Alan

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

kt4hx wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:01 pm Burnham's is like observing with a good friend and discussing what you are seeing.
Absolutely agree! Burnham's is the best!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

kt4hx wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:45 am Yeah, I am now fully retired.

Me too for going on 4 years now ( retired at 63).
Absolutely love it. I just don’t see how I got so much done while I was working. Older and slower I guess.
I still feel like I’m getting a lot done thought!
Jim

PeterD Slovakia
Earth Ambassador

Post by PeterD »

Burnham's, although outdated, is still the best. This reminds me I am yet to aquire volme two to complete the set.
Peter
Handful of refractors, a pair of old binoculars, tin box full of plossls and orthos, couple of EQ mounts with some wooden legs
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

I just received Burnham’s Vols 2 & 3.
I was sent a different book instead of volume one by mistake. I just chatted with thrift books and they’re supposed to be sending me volume one free of charge.

D870ADA7-7265-49FF-A504-6EA907532896.jpeg

My question to everyone out there that has read the Burnham series. Do I really need the start at volume one, or can I start looking at volume two right away?

Thank all!
Jim

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

IMO, you can start anywhere. You can figure out the codes and symbols pretty easily.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

pakarinen wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:29 pm IMO, you can start anywhere. You can figure out the codes and symbols pretty easily.

Much appreciated!

Looking forward to taking a look soon.
Jim

AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

I have so many books sitting on my shelves collecting dust as they are. Including a complete mint set of Burnhams Handbooks, TWO sets of Uranometria 2000...both Northern & Southern Hemispheres. I also have The Revised New General Catalogue of Nonstellar Astronomical Objects by Jack Sulentic & William Tifft. I'm thinking with a bit of arm twisting and the right offer I would part with any or all of them.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

AstroBee wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:26 am I have so many books sitting on my shelves collecting dust as they are. [...] I'm thinking with a bit of arm twisting and the right offer I would part with any or all of them.
I'd sell some of my little used books like Seronik's Bino Highlights, but they're available used for such a low price that it wouldn't be worth the effort to box and ship them. (Although I did just see that Seronik is listed on AMZ for $2,355. WTH?) Or I could take them to Half Price Books and get a buck a piece maybe if I'm lucky.

Might be worth it if I bundled my Seronik, Moore, and Harrington books together...