Observing Report for 23 February 2023 - another quickie

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 23 February 2023 - another quickie

Post by kt4hx »

I had originally planned to head over to the dark site house to check on things and get in some observing, but the forecast for that location weakened to the point that it was not worth the effort. So I decided to drag the 12 inch to our backyard to see what I could see. It wasn’t a long outing, but a few things were observed and it was at least pleasant (in the 60s F) for a late February evening.

Equipment used:

12 inch f/5 dobsonian
TV Ethos 13mm (116x, 0.9° TFOV, 2.6mm exit pupil)
Pentax XW 10mm (152x, 0.5° TFOV, 2.0mm exit pupil)
Pentax XW 7mm (217x, 0.3° TFOV, 1.4mm exit pupil)
Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas

Comet C/2022 E3 ZTF (Taurus, comet, mag=7.7, coma diameter=7.5’):
The comet had now moved over into Taurus west of the Orion’s “shield” and was quickly located just over 3° west of mag 3.7 Pi4 Orionis. Easily spotted with 116x it was dimmer and smaller than previously observed 10 days ago. The core still had a stellar appearance within the dim diffuse coma. A very subtle extension (tail) to the ENE was still evident, but it was very subtle. It definitely is dimming overall, but still quite bright and accessible.

Messier 42 / NGC 1976 (Orion, emission nebula, mag=4.0, size=1.5º x 1.0º, SBr=13.1):
Turning the scope to this winter landmark (or should I say skymark?), it was a gorgeous sight, even in my brighter skies at home. Very extended and feathery in appearance, it nearly filled the 0.9° TFOV with its delicate tendrils. Focusing now on the Trapezium, and using 152x and 217x I picked up the stars designated A through F in this tight little group.

Messier 43 / NGC 1982 (Orion, emission nebula, mag=7.0, size=20.0' x 15.0', SBr=12.9):
This smaller section north of the dominant portion of the vast nebular complex, M42 was very obvious and very small soft glow around Nu Orionis at 116x. Dim overall comparatively, it was nonetheless unmistakable. As always it provides a nice counterpoise to the wonder of M42.

NGC 2112 (Orion, open cluster, mag=9.1, size=18.0’, class=II3m):
Aiming the scope at 56 Orionis (mag 4.8), I used this star plus 60 Orionis (mag 5.2) to triangulate the position of this dim cluster. At 116x it was a very dim ramble of about six or seven stars. Going ahead to 152x, the cluster revealed about a dozen dim stars in a loose scatter. Not much to look at in my brighter skies in the backyard, but not difficult to pick up. (New)

Dolidze 21 (Orion, open cluster, mag=8.2, size=12.0’, class=IV2p):
Now I aimed the scope at Bellatrix (Gamma Orionis) and nudged just over half a degree to the northeast to pick up mag 6.4 HD 35656. This star lies just off the edge of the field of this cluster. I observed this field at 116x to 217x and I could only pull out about half a dozen stars that were loose and lacking much cohesion as a group. Visually it was a poor cluster. (New)

NGC 2392 (Gemini, planetary nebula, mag=9.1, size=54.0’, SBr=8.6):
My last object for this short outing would be a look at the famous Eskimo Nebula. I aimed the scope at mag 3.5 Delta Geminorum (Wasat) and quickly hopped to the little crescent of stars containing 63 Gem (mag 5.2). Just over half a degree southeast of this star I easily spotted the nebula at 116x as a bright, small round diffuse disk with its central star easily seen. Attaching the DGM NPB to the eyepiece gave the nebula a nice boost in contrast. Going ahead to 152x and moving the filter to the XW 10mm, the nebula was quite bright and large (for a PN). The central star was now more difficult, being overwhelmed by the brightness of the nebulosity. The planetary displayed a darker center within the outer ring, which was brighter and had a bit of a diffuse fuzzy character. This object is always fun to observe and does very well in brighter skies.

That was it for this outing. I could tell there were some high thin clouds in the area so I felt it was time to call it an evening. One thing I’ve learned is that it is simply much more of a chore for me to carry the 12 inch dob from the garage to the backyard, even in two trips than it used to be. That coupled with my increasing sky glow from continued expansion in our area, is making observing the deep sky much more challenging than in times past. Anyway, that was it for my outing. I hope to be able to get over to the other place sometime soon for some real deep observing. Keep looking up friends.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 23 February 2023 - another quickie

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice short session Alan! I have not started my observing year yet. Rain, hail and wind for the next few days.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:36 pm Nice short session Alan! I have not started my observing year yet. Rain, hail and wind for the next few days.

Our weather has not been the best either for the most part. Even when it wasn't raining it seemed the conditions were just poor overall. Hopefully the year as a whole will pan out for us though!
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Great session Alan.

Thank you for sharing it with us.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:58 am Great session Alan.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Thank you Vanessa. Sometimes short and simple is a good way to go. :icon-smile:
Alan

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice session Alan and VROD worthy. I've noticed fewer reports recently but it is partly to mostly due to the bad weather around North America I believe, I mean blizzards even in San Diego. I was hoping to get out last night as it was clear (18 degrees though) but then around 5:45 the clouds showed up and today is another snow forecast. So my last session was the comet and planets on Jan. 29th. Congrats on nabbing the award for the day!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello Alan. A very nice "short but sweet" observing report from you using your 12" f/5 Dob telescope. Lots of nice NGC and Messier objects logged along with Comet C/2022 E3. And as I get older my 12" f/4.9 Dob seems to get heavier too. Thanks for another fine report Alan and congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Alan and thanks for a very well written and fun report to read!

A short session, but it sounds like it was easy and fulfilling too!

My nights have been filled with fog. Kind of unusual for here (usually, its just cloudy), but I know what Gabby was talking about last year when she commented on being fogged in for weeks.
So far for me, my year has started off very slowly. One short 3 hour imaging session on M78, but it was well worth the time spent. Looking forward (intensely) to getting out soon.
I've completely missed the Comet C/2022 E3 ZTF, but surely clear skies will arrive sometime!

Short report for you, but very enjoyable for me. Thanks buddy. Congratulations on the VROD!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:24 pm Nice session Alan and VROD worthy. I've noticed fewer reports recently but it is partly to mostly due to the bad weather around North America I believe, I mean blizzards even in San Diego. I was hoping to get out last night as it was clear (18 degrees though) but then around 5:45 the clouds showed up and today is another snow forecast. So my last session was the comet and planets on Jan. 29th. Congrats on nabbing the award for the day!

Thank you Michael. It could well be the disturbed weather that seems to be prevalent around the wider region. As I mentioned, even when its not raining (its sleeting presently) the skies seem murky and visually distasteful. I am hopeful the forecast will hold so I can get to the dark site house on Tuesday. Though the moon will be prominent, I hope to be able to scoop up some new stuff. Plus it will feel good to finally get over there for the first time since November. :icon-smile:

Makuser wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:43 pm Hello Alan. A very nice "short but sweet" observing report from you using your 12" f/5 Dob telescope. Lots of nice NGC and Messier objects logged along with Comet C/2022 E3. And as I get older my 12" f/4.9 Dob seems to get heavier too. Thanks for another fine report Alan and congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD Award today.

Thank you Marshall. I have to admit, carrying the 12 inch to the back yard has become quite the chore. It didn't seem that long ago that it wasn't such a big deal, but you know how it is at our age, time passes and changes come quickly. If I decide to deploy it again, I will have to work something out with my hand dolly to get it back and forth. :icon-smile:

Juno16 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:38 pm Hi Alan and thanks for a very well written and fun report to read!

A short session, but it sounds like it was easy and fulfilling too!

My nights have been filled with fog. Kind of unusual for here (usually, its just cloudy), but I know what Gabby was talking about last year when she commented on being fogged in for weeks.
So far for me, my year has started off very slowly. One short 3 hour imaging session on M78, but it was well worth the time spent. Looking forward (intensely) to getting out soon.
I've completely missed the Comet C/2022 E3 ZTF, but surely clear skies will arrive sometime!

Short report for you, but very enjoyable for me. Thanks buddy. Congratulations on the VROD!

Thank you Jim. Fog is certainly a show stopper. I've had that over at the dark house and it can end a session quickly if it rises enough. Funny stuff because I've had times when it comes up, falls back, rises again, falls again then finally obliterates the sky.

Don't give up on the comet yet. Its still up there and bright enough to pick up. Admittedly not as bright as it was, but you might be able to get an image. That would make a good side project, getting images of as many comets as become accessible to you. Good luck and hope things clear out for you soon. :icon-smile:
Alan

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Nice session Alan, short but as sweet as usual! Congrats on your VROD.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:02 pm Nice session Alan, short but as sweet as usual! Congrats on your VROD.

Dave

Thank you Dave. Not much of an outing but keeps me from roaming the street looking for trouble! :lol:
Alan

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

I'm recovering from an observing injury. I was picking up an eyepiece that I had sitting on the pad I normally place under my mount...and hit my head pretty hard on the end of the CW shaft. Blood everywhere!! No stitches required but head wounds can be pretty dramatic!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:00 pm I'm recovering from an observing injury. I was picking up an eyepiece that I had sitting on the pad I normally place under my mount...and hit my head pretty hard on the end of the CW shaft. Blood everywhere!! No stitches required but head wounds can be pretty dramatic!!

Dave

Oh wow Dave, sorry to hear that buddy! It is never fun to get hurt doing something you enjoy so much. I've had a couple of spills in my observing chair - to the side. One a little worse than the other, but nothing other than a skinned knee. I know how those head wounds are, they bleed like a stuck pig for sure. Hopefully no other residual effects from the conk on the noggin'. You might have to start wearing a hard hat just in case my friend! :icon-smile:
Alan

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

That's a very nice session Alan!

A 12" is a very capable scope, I used to use mine on a rooftop in the middle of NYC, I was amazed at what I could see.

Congratulations on the very well deserved VROD!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Ylem wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:02 pm That's a very nice session Alan!

A 12" is a very capable scope, I used to use mine on a rooftop in the middle of NYC, I was amazed at what I could see.

Thank you Jeff. Agree that the 12 inch size is good aperture level. I don't like that my LP has increased, and I expect it to continue to do so. Fortunately we do have the other place in the western part of the state where I can leave the 17.5 inch and put it to good use under darker rural skies when possible. I've been in NYC and can't even imagine observing there actually! I admire those that do toil under such urban skies and do it successfully.
Alan

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

kt4hx wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:57 pm

Thank you Jeff. Agree that the 12 inch size is good aperture level. I don't like that my LP has increased, and I expect it to continue to do so. Fortunately we do have the other place in the western part of the state where I can leave the 17.5 inch and put it to good use under darker rural skies when possible. I've been in NYC and can't even imagine observing there actually! I admire those that do toil under such urban skies and do it successfully.
I actually like urban astronomy, I bring the C90 to Myrtle Beach and enjoy the hunt, it's almost like "QRP" for astronomy, a challenge :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Ylem wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:07 am
kt4hx wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:57 pm

I actually like urban astronomy, I bring the C90 to Myrtle Beach and enjoy the hunt, it's almost like "QRP" for astronomy, a challenge :)

I would probably like it more if I weren't spoiled by our dark site location. But I admit, it is a bit of a mental let down when I come back home after being over there. I wish every place could be dark and everyone could experience the joys of observing under dark skies. It is a very emotional experience for me as I feel especially connected to the universe when the sky is full of stars.
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.