Post your Lunar images here.
astroavani Brazil
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0
Location: Cidade de Canoas, Estado do Rio GRande do Sul, Brazil

TSS Photo of the Day

Rimae Hippalus

Post by astroavani »

This photo for me has a nostalgic flavor. It always reminds me of my beginnings in astrophotography.
About 13 years ago, as soon as I bought my first large telescope (Newton GSO 12" f/5 from the late Armazém do Telescopio) I became good friends with master Darío Pires, and it was based on his practical and theoretical teachings from my great friend Ilídio Afonso who started me in this art.
When I started taking pictures, I used the Newton on a Dobsonian basis, with a generic Fuji camera and I did afocal photography guided by my arm, I remember well that I coveted the fantastic images of the group that had specialized equipment.
Among these old photos, one caught my attention a lot, it was a photo by Mestre Darío Pires of this set of Rimae parallel in curve. I remember Darío took this photo with a DBK 21AU, using if I'm not mistaken that famous 400mm that Fabio Plocos has today.
I thought to myself.... "One day I'll take a picture like this."
It's not the first time I've photographed Rimae Hippalus, but whenever I do, I can't help but be reminded of this fact.

Concentric channels are one of the most impressive features on the moon, and one of the best examples is Rimae Hippalus, an arc around the east side of Mare Humorum. To the northeast and next to Hippalus a strange thing happens, there are some Rimae in a concave arch. The most notable one is called Rima Agatharchides, but is it actually part of Rimae Hippalus and family?
Rima, Rimae in the plural (Channel) or for some Selenogists Rille (narrow valley), is a fissure or lava channel that has totally or partially collapsed.
Rima and Hippalus are curved channels, faults caused by stress in the crust. Some sinuous channels are believed to have formed by the rapid movement of lava flow, but there are some that originate from the collapse of lava tubes under the collapsed surface. However, I firmly believe that in the case of Hippalus, the origin was the tension in the crust due to the impact of a colossal body that formed the Mare Humorum, and that would be the true responsible for this set of rilles.
In fact, in this photo you can see at least one more set of channels called Rimae Ramsden, a set of very branched rilles around the crater of the same name.
A bonus that I really liked in this photo was how easy it was to notice that the Marth crater is actually a concentric crater, watch it carefully in the lower left corner.
I hope that colleagues, like myself, have fond memories of their beginnings in astrophotography, humbly remember how they started, and put what they have now to good use.
Scopes: Celestron C14 Edge, Celestron C9,25 XLT
Mounting: Celestron CGE PRO, Celestron CG5 Advanced
Cameras: ASI 290MC, ASI 178MM
Accessories: Tele Vue Powermate 2X, Baader L filter, Baader IR Pass 610 and 685, Astronomik IR Pass 742, Tele Vue Binovue, various orthoscopic eyepieces
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Rimae Hippalus

Post by Juno16 »

Amazing image Avani!
Thanks for the wonderful and informative writeup!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

fine image , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Beautiful image Avani!
Looks like you captured it from Lunar orbit!

Great write up also!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Avani. Wow, this is a super sharp lunar image of the Rimae Hippalus region using your C14 Edge telescope. And I enjoyed reading your background history and experience in doing astrophotography. And viewing Crater Marth looks like a perfect bullseye of a small craterlet inside of a larger crater. Thanks for sharing this excellent capture with us on here Avani and keep up the great work.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>