Televue Powermate question

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Televue Powermate question

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hey all,

I recently saved my pennies and purchased a Powermate 1.25" at 2.5X. I wanted to use this for AP with my DSLR on the Sun in white light with my WO 61mm at f/5.9, as well as a few of my longer f/l fracs for visual.

Seems it doesn't come to focus unless you have a HUGE amount of focuser back travel. The only scope I have so far that has come to focus with it is my old Vixen-made C80 which really has an insane amount of focuser tube length. Even still, the focuser is about 1/4" of being racked all the way out with the Powermate.

The scope in focus with the stock prism diagonal (I used a Fujiyama KK 18mm Ortho in both cases):

Image1.jpg

And in focus with the Powermate:

Image2.jpg

Is this normal? Seems to me that it's like buying a really nice car, but you might need doors and the like after you get it... I'm guessing focuser extension tubes?

Any insights/recommendations would be appreciated. I can still return it (B&H Photo), but I need to know if it's just me ;)

Thanks in advance!!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Televue Powermate question

Post by Bigzmey »

Hi Mark
I can help you with visual, but with AP you are on your own. :)

For visual you should insert the powermate into diagonal and EP into powermate. This way you will get it to focus within your normal focuser range and you will get 2.5x factor.

The way you have it set right now produces higher magnification factor (4x - 6x ?) and that requires additional focuser travel.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Televue Powermate question

Post by Thefatkitty »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:56 am Hi Mark
I can help you with visual, but with AP you are on your own. :)

For visual you should insert the powermate into diagonal and EP into powermate. This way you will get it to focus within your normal focuser range and you will get 2.5x factor.

The way you have it set right now produces higher magnification factor (4x - 6x ?) and that requires additional focuser travel.

:doh: Andrey, thank you so much! That makes complete sense what you said. I was wondering too, when the C80 came to focus it seemed a bit dark. Yeah, no kidding at that magnification.
I can't see the forest for the trees here some days; I've really been busy. And trying this at 4AM didn't help either... :lol:

AP isn't a big deal, it was more for the visual.

Thanks again for clearing my fog; I'll let you know how it goes!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC