Star Clusters 😳

Let's see your reports!
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Star Clusters 😳

Post by Frankskywatcher »

I was fortunate enough last night to have clear skies and the moon not rising till 12:40 AM.
I started out by looking at M 41 below Sirius then I moved over to look at M46/47 .
Then the one that blew my mind the most was M52 the Scorpion star cluster it was so exciting to view it that I went in the house and made my wife come out and look at it!
She was also blown away, this was after we returned home from dining out on St Valentine’s Day so I can say I had a great night all the way around !
P.S. I forgot that I also looked at the Orion Nebula and the Trapezium before I called it a night !
Last edited by Frankskywatcher on Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Star Clusters 😳

Post by helicon »

Thanks for the report Frank. Sounds like a good evening out there.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

helicon wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:05 pm Thanks for the report Frank. Sounds like a good evening out there.
It was an awesome night what a difference with out the moonlight ! Thank you for responding.
Last edited by Frankskywatcher on Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice catches there Frank! Sounds like you are getting hang of your DOB. What EPs did you use?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:38 pm Nice catches there Frank! Sounds like you are getting hang of your DOB. What EPs did you use?
Hello my friend thanks for responding!
I started with my 2 inch 30 MM to find the star clusters, once I found them though I would gradually move up from that to a 20 MM than a 9 MM but I couldn’t use the 6 MM on any of them because I felt lost it was too much magnification.
Actually I should rephrase that and say I was also using a set of 7 x 50 binoculars to scan where I thought they would be and then I zeroed in on them with the scope.
Speaking of EP’s,I have to once again thank Makuser so much for the gift of the set of EP’s.
He has made it much more of a pleasure having different magnifications to choose from versus what came with the scope the 30 MM I mentioned, and a nine MM.
Last edited by Frankskywatcher on Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

It sounds like you had a enjoyable evening viewing :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Well done Frank, and glad the 10 inch is working out for you. I really like M46 and its one of my personal favorites. Next time see if you can pick up the foreground planetary nebula "appears" to be floating among the stars in the northern portion of the cluster. It may not be obvious and require a little close scrutiny to pick up, but provides a curious contrast to the cluster behind it. Here is a chart showing its position relative to the cluster. Good luck and keep up the fine observing.

Messier 46 and NGC 2348.pdf
(332.39 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

A very successful evening for you there Frank.

Thank you for sharing it with us.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

kt4hx wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:39 am Well done Frank, and glad the 10 inch is working out for you. I really like M46 and its one of my personal favorites. Next time see if you can pick up the foreground planetary nebula "appears" to be floating among the stars in the northern portion of the cluster. It may not be obvious and require a little close scrutiny to pick up, but provides a curious contrast to the cluster behind it. Here is a chart showing its position relative to the cluster. Good luck and keep up the fine observing.

Thank you so much for responding and thank you for the link I download it and looked at it next clear night I believe will be Saturday here I’m gonna look for it specifically thank you again!

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:46 am A very successful evening for you there Frank.

Thank you for sharing it with us.
Yes it was my friend and I didn’t mention this because I could not verify which one it was but I stumbled upon a globular cluster.
People say that they resemble cotton balls but this one looked like it was a piece of wet Kleenex crumbled up in the sky.
The thing was no matter how much magnification I put on it,it still looked the same, maybe a little bigger but it still looked the same “ faint” for lack of a better word.

The problem with me is I’m still so green that star hopping is still a challenge more than a pleasure but I’m getting better.
I think what I saw was somewhere in between the two chopsticks on the star chart.

I also have been using the sky and telescopes pocket sky atlas that Bigzmey so kindly gifted me and SkyView lite,a free app that uses your camera to line up with the stars and shows you where you are in the night sky.
It’s been a year since I bought my telescope and I feel like I’ve barely cracked the art of star hopping but I can at least recognize the constellations a lot easier now.
Attachments
B191D653-BADA-421A-B5FE-090E9C0CB294.jpeg
E66764A0-5D79-41F5-9452-081689E7239D.jpeg
890DA18D-FC79-4355-9F1E-81175EE7A11D.jpeg
F01E4084-47D0-40C2-A881-EDFEC52CE5A0.jpeg

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Thank you for that insight Frank :icon-smile:

You are leaps and bounds ahead of my expertise and knowledge of astronomy, so you have no worries there.

There are some lovely people on this Forum who go out of their way to be helpful to our fellow members, so you were obviously the beneficiary of one of them - namely Andrey (Bigzmey) in this instance.

Keep posting Frank. You are doing a great job.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:18 pm Thank you for that insight Frank :icon-smile:

You are leaps and bounds ahead of my expertise and knowledge of astronomy, so you have no worries there.

There are some lovely people on this Forum who go out of their way to be helpful to our fellow members, so you were obviously the beneficiary of one of them - namely Andrey (Bigzmey) in this instance.

Keep posting Frank. You are doing a great job.
Thank you for those kind words but I can assure you I am a real rookie compared to you and a lot of the Forum members here.
Speaking of other members and the quality of the membership let me tell you when I first joined a year ago last January the first thing I was gifted was red filament to put over my lights from Greg .
Then Bigzmey gifted me that star atlas which is fantastic and a huge help.
Then the icing on the cake was when Makuser sent me a 6mm EP which was big for me because I only had a 9mm and the 2” 30mm .
To even top that one he then sent me the whole set of matching Skywatcher EP’s that went with the 6mm he first sent me !
I was so blown over and humbled by everyone’s generosity !
Also I have received a ton of helpful advise from the membership and for the most part everyone has been very welcoming and friendly!

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Nice session and great reporting, Frank! Certainly VROD worthy!!

The excitement to our hobby is in the journey!! I learn something new every time I go out...and have been for over 60 years!! So much to see and so little time!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:36 pm
kt4hx wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:39 am Well done Frank, and glad the 10 inch is working out for you. I really like M46 and its one of my personal favorites. Next time see if you can pick up the foreground planetary nebula "appears" to be floating among the stars in the northern portion of the cluster. It may not be obvious and require a little close scrutiny to pick up, but provides a curious contrast to the cluster behind it. Here is a chart showing its position relative to the cluster. Good luck and keep up the fine observing.

Thank you so much for responding and thank you for the link I download it and looked at it next clear night I believe will be Saturday here I’m gonna look for it specifically thank you again!

You're very welcome Frank.

Regarding your comments about star hopping, it certainly is not something that we come by naturally. It must be learned by doing, as you've experienced. For those of us who have done this a long time, it becomes second nature only because we've done it so many times over the years. But, I still make mistakes and get off-track from time to time, and I've been doing it for many, many years. The key there is to not be discouraged by the little mistakes, rather use them as a learning experience. Go back to your starting point, look at your chart and figure out where you went wrong and try again. The more you engage it, the better you become. As I am fond of saying, the more we learn the more fun we have, and the more fun we have, the more we learn. Keep working at it and observe as much as you can, you are doing just fine. :icon-smile:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Congratulations Frank on attaining the TSS VROD award of the day for your fine report. Glad that you made it!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Unitron48 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:12 pm Nice session and great reporting, Frank! Certainly VROD worthy!!

The excitement to our hobby is in the journey!! I learn something new every time I go out...and have been for over 60 years!! So much to see and so little time!!

Dave
Thank you my friend it certainly is exciting and I laughed at your comment “ so much to see and so little time” that’s exactly how I think “ if I had know there was so much to see I would have started decades ago” 😂

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

kt4hx wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:04 pm
Frankskywatcher wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:36 pm

You're very welcome Frank.

Regarding your comments about star hopping, it certainly is not something that we come by naturally. It must be learned by doing, as you've experienced. For those of us who have done this a long time, it becomes second nature only because we've done it so many times over the years. But, I still make mistakes and get off-track from time to time, and I've been doing it for many, many years. The key there is to not be discouraged by the little mistakes, rather use them as a learning experience. Go back to your starting point, look at your chart and figure out where you went wrong and try again. The more you engage it, the better you become. As I am fond of saying, the more we learn the more fun we have, and the more fun we have, the more we learn. Keep working at it and observe as much as you can, you are doing just fine. :icon-smile:
Thank you for your fine comments my friend and you are 100% correct that’s exactly what I do and you are right the more you learn the more fun it is WR1R from KT4HX 73😁

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

helicon wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:22 pm Congratulations Frank on attaining the TSS VROD award of the day for your fine report. Glad that you made it!
WHAT I got report of the day award !
I actually feel embarrassed kind of like stepping out of the shower naked and being seen lol!
I say that because I was just so excited about seeing the cluster’s especially the tarantula one but I never expected to get an award because I was just excited and expressing what I saw I did not clean it up so to speak and polish it like so many of the other report that I read and see on here from people who are way more advanced than I am that’s why I say I’m actually I’m kind of embarrassed but honored at the same time
Last edited by Frankskywatcher on Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Open clusters are my favorite targets and less likely to be obscured in my home light pollution.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:34 pm
helicon wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:22 pm Congratulations Frank on attaining the TSS VROD award of the day for your fine report. Glad that you made it!
WHAT I got report of the day award !
I actually feel embarrassed kind of like stepping out of the shower naked and being seen lol!
I say that because I was just so excited about seeing the cluster especially the tarantula one but I never expected to get an award because I was just excited and expressing what I saw I did not clean it up so to speak and polish it like so many of the other report that I read and see on here from people who are way more advanced than I am that’s why I say I’m actually I’m kind of embarrassed but honored at the same time
Enjoy the award as nominated by your fellow observers! There is plenty time to get in long sessions and reports as you continue with astronomy. We all started out as newbies after all and had to learn the ropes...
-Michael