Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Feb 11 Sun and some new astro goodies

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hey everyone, hope you're all doing good :D

I ordered a Televue 2.5X 1.25 Powermate and the T-Ring adaptor for it to attach to my Canon camera from B&H Photo Video on Wednesday; I went to pick them up today at the UPS depot. It was actually cheaper for me to order from them even though it's US based. Plus there was no wait time. I've been saving my pennies for this for almost a year now...

powermate.jpg

I intend to use it first with my W/O 60mm for a portable Solar white-light setup. It will take that scope from f/5.9 to f/11 ish. I will use it all first on the Moon; that will give me a "focus point" so to speak. Focus on the Moon, and next day you're good to go for the Sun. So much easier to focus on a lunar crater than a spot on the Sun, and both object are parfocal with each other.

Of course, the day clouded up after I took the Solar shots and it doesn't look promising for the next while... :lol:

I dropped Sarah off at her friend's place, then went and got that. When I got home, it was clear out and only -4C (28F). Time for some solar. I used my usual arsenal; my C80-HD/CG4 mount with its Baader film, Solar Continuum and UR/IR cut filters along with my Canon EOS550D.

80mm.JPG
film.jpg

This pre-owned scope and mount I bought 7 years ago is the best $200 I've spent ever! And it's been locked into focus for my camera for the same amount of time; this is all I use it for. I do love my C80's though; I have an orange-tube Vixen I use for visual.

Image1.jpg

An active Sun today; no less than 10 spots on the disc and probably more labelled tomorrow.

Sun_02_11_2023s.jpg
Sun_02_11_2023a.jpg

Full size image here

Fun day. I have to finish building the mount for my 60mm, probably tomorrow.

WO_61mm-s.JPG

Portability and rock solid is what I want from this and am getting it :D This was the concept; a pipe mount on an old Nexstar 102 tripod. Being me, this has advanced from this to something where I'm going over ebvery little nuance. So far so good.

And that's been my day, hopefully you enjoyed yours!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Feb 11 Sun and some new astro goodies

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats Mark! The powermate was definitely worth saving $$.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:23 am Congrats Mark! The powermate was definitely worth saving $$.
Thanks Andrey, and I agree! I could have bought a barlow even by Televue for cheaper, but when you have "standards", nothing less will do. I would have kicked myself for buying less!

I'm hoping to use it for visual as well. I can only imagine for now the views with my scopes!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Well, that was a bust. I just tried this Powermate with both my 60mm at f/5.9 and my 80mm at f/11.4 on the Moon. And here I thought this would be a good thing...

What a piece of crap this is. I can't get focus with either my camera or a diagonal/lens through either scope with this thing. It's a non-changing blur of white, from focuser racked in to out. Talk about frustration and a waste of hard-earned money.

Hopefully I can return it and get a cheap barlow. Televue is now to me just Tele-Poo :lol:
Mark

Solar:
3052 Member of the RASC
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

That is a real shame Mark. I can understand your frustration.

The time and effort to collect the equipment and set it up, only to discover it to be useless is not good :(

Hopefully you can get a refund quickly.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Are you saying you cannot get it to focus with a diagonal/ eyepiece either?
Try viewing straight through at a object with just the barlow and a eyepiece.
Everything looks good with the barlow?
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello Mark. Congratulations on the new Televue 2.5X 1.25 Powermate and it is my favorite Barlow lens. And another fine solar image in white light and I always enjoy your annotated version. Thanks for sharing this capture with us on here Mark and I also enjoyed the photos of your astronomy instruments.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>